The Student Room Group

A2 Edexcel Unit 3 12th June 2012 Megathread

Hey everyone. This will be the ultimate revision thread for the A2 6EC03 this summer. Discuss what is likely to come up in this exam and all other clarifications relating to this unit below. :smile:

Publication schedule for the June 2012 examination series

Question papers - 4 July 2012 (view here)

Mark schemes - 17 July 2012 (view here)

Results to candidates - 16 August 2012

Examiners' reports - 21 August 2012(website) / 16 August 2012(Results Plus)
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You can download the pastpapers for the old curriculum of this unit (unit 4) from here.
http://www.xtremepapers.com/Edexcel/index.php?dir=Advanced%20Level/Economics/
Reply 2
'ultimate' ?
Reply 3
Lets make it so :smile:
Reply 4
Anyone feeling really scared for unit 3 and 4?
Reply 5
Original post by rsamani1
Anyone feeling really scared for unit 3 and 4?

Well, in general almost everyone is scared before taking an exam, right? But this exam(and unit 4) does have a certain pattern with respect to questions. Also, the grade boundaries are pretty low as well, so that's a relief :biggrin:
Has anyone prepared for unit 3 comprehension? Our teacher says that if you know the info for the multiple choice u don't need to practise it, I totally disagree. Any tips for it that teachers have given you?
Original post by ezioaudi77
Well, in general almost everyone is scared before taking an exam, right? But this exam(and unit 4) does have a certain pattern with respect to questions. Also, the grade boundaries are pretty low as well, so that's a relief :biggrin:

What are the grade boundaries for unit 4??:smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Spunky_Monkey
Has anyone prepared for unit 3 comprehension? Our teacher says that if you know the info for the multiple choice u don't need to practise it, I totally disagree. Any tips for it that teachers have given you?

I'm no expert but I don't agree with your teacher either. I think you should practice all pastpapers, because then the questions feel familiar as you go on practicing. Then the final exam will be (fingers-crossed :smile:) a piece of cake. Also, you will feel confident, and this will be VERY helpful in answering the rest of the questions :biggrin:
Reply 9
Original post by MaryMary234
What are the grade boundaries for unit 4??:smile:

In Unit 4, there have been only two papers yet. These are the grade boundaries for the RAW MARKS (different from UMS marks, hope you know) of the papers.

For June 2010,

Max=100 A*=77 A=68 B=60 C=52 D=45 E=38

June 2011,

Max=100 A*=74 A=67 B=60 C=53 D=46 E=39

From the edexcel site (GCE),
http://www.edexcel.com/iwantto/Pages/grade-boundaries.aspx
(Grade boundaries for Unit 3 and other units included.) :smile:
Is anyone doing the boom and bust usa paper? If so, can anyone think of why the first world war may have caused the new laws on immigration? I have that many were in favour of isolationism but apart from that I'm not sure why. I asked my teacher and he said something about economic prosperity cause by the war? but I didn't really get what he meant. Any ideas?
Reply 11
any tips on 4,8,12 & 16 marker questions- how to get near full marks?
Reply 12
Original post by Riz10
any tips on 4,8,12 & 16 marker questions- how to get near full marks?

Ok, the 4 mark question, this is likely to be a question that goes something like "What is the type of integration described in the extract" or "What is the market structure of these firms". It is quite easy to get marks for these if you look at the mark schemes. In most years, this is the pattern but once again, this is not a guarantee.

As for the rest, I didn't get a pattern, but half their marks will be for evaluation (example:the 16 mark question will be allocated 8 evaluation marks). The keywords for such questions are Assess, Discuss, Examine, Evaluate, To what extent, Recommend...

Basically, the recommended time to earn 1 mark is 1 minute (ok it's actually 90mins/72marks=1.25 mins per mark, but that is without including time for reading the questions, extracts, etc...).

I would suggest that when you practice pastpapers, take LESS time than allocated. For example for the 4 mark MCQs, try to take 3 mins and 30 secs, if possible even less. But, I'm not suggesting that you try to take about 2 mins or less because it would be impossible to get full marks as you won't be writing a proper answer (unless you are a genius or eligible to Xavier's school for gifted youngsters :smile:)
Reply 13
And please of you have any kind of tips or notes please share. It wouldn't hurt, right?
Reply 14
This site is very helpful and has specification-related notes for all units of this syllabus. http://edecon.wordpress.com/

This might also be helpful: Key_Diagrams_A2_Business_Economics.pdf
I'm no expert but I don't agree with your teacher either. I think you should practice all pastpapers, because then the questions feel familiar as you go on practicing. Then the final exam will be (fingers-crossed :smile:) a piece of cake. Also, you will feel confident, and this will be VERY helpful in answering the rest of the questions :biggrin:

Yeah I went through the one on Heathrow, the medicine one and another which i forget. It's all pretty easy once you get into it. Hopefully will be when it comes to the real thing!
Reply 16
Original post by Spunky_Monkey
Yeah I went through the one on Heathrow, the medicine one and another which i forget. It's all pretty easy once you get into it. Hopefully will be when it comes to the real thing!

Also don't forget timing :grin:
Also don't forget timing :grin:

Yeah I seem to write pages compared to everyone else, more worry about for unit 4 thought considering i finish the multiple choice in like 25 minutes max so i always have loads of time to write in too much detail haha.
Reply 18
If Anyone Needs The January 2012 Unit 3 Paper Let Me Know!
My tip to everyone is to really look at examiner reports in detail.. as they really not only give examples of answers helping you to self mark but provide you with tips on what things to link and examine in particular types of qs for the high range of marks..

Im so scared for this unit as grade boundaries seem very high like 63/72 for an a*.. Also time management is so hard but nothing compared to unit 4

Quick Reply

Latest