The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE English Language Exam 29th May 2012

Scroll to see replies

Hey, you know for the first question, do we literally just pick out key features and write quotes to back up? And how many points would you do for that?

In a mock I got 5/8 and it's supposed to be the easiest question :/.
Reply 81
According to the most recent grade boundary; January 2012
In raw marks was as follows:
61/80 - A* equivalent to 108 UMS
54/80 - A equivalent to 96 UMS
47/80 - B equivalent to 84 UMS
41/80 - C equivalent to 72 UMS

The grade boundaries are ridiculously low because most people go around answering question 4 incorrectly, in June 2011 only 40% received over 10 marks for question 4.

source : http://store.aqa.org.uk/over/stat_pdf/AQA-GCSE-GDE-BOUND-JAN12.PDF
Reply 82
I was going to do the paper back to front, but our teachers said the first questions help with the back two.
Reply 83
Original post by Adriennet
the grade boundaries are quite low on this, I believe. I did a mock and got an a* and was quite into it but I know I lost about 10 marks. Also remember the controlled assesments will help bring grades up cos this is only 40%. I don't really know how to revise for this one because it's all about technique really so apart from being given past papers i've done nothing. Time though, for me will b the biggest worry!
Good luck!!

I agree with this. There's no point stressing about this exam that much. If you've done well in your controlled assessments, then you should be fine. :smile:

I have a question to ask. For the first section on the unseen media, do we mention language devices to do the with the question? For example, if the question was, "What do we learn about X and Y from this article?", do we have to mention a language device that is to do with the article?
Reply 84
Original post by catastrophe
Hey, you know for the first question, do we literally just pick out key features and write quotes to back up? And how many points would you do for that?

Not only that but to get into band 4 you will have to interpret the ideas, it may say the character shivers when somebody lifts a hand, you then have to imply that she does this because ealier in the text lets say it says she had difficult parents. You would then imply this is because of perhaps a history of abuse, you have to give the examiner the idea you have thoroughly understood what is in the text and the characters within it, not only what you see in the text and emulate it.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 85
Original post by gg12
I agree with this. There's no point stressing about this exam that much. If you've done well in your controlled assessments, then you should be fine. :smile:

I have a question to ask. For the first section on the unseen media, do we mention language devices to do the with the question? For example, if the question was, "What do we learn about X and Y from this article?", do we have to mention a language device that is to do with the article?

You can do but it isn't essential for this question.

Original post by Rheannan
I was going to do the paper back to front, but our teachers said the first questions help with the back two.

With all papers we get told to read through all the questions. It really does depend though how well you are with thinking on your feet. Tbh the first two questions won't make much of a difference to how I answer the last two but I get what she means cos on one paper the article was about rafting on the Grand Canyon and then we had to talk about our own travel experience. However it is only a loose connection and I don't think it will make much difference to how I answer it. Of course if I get stuck I can go back to the front of the paper, do it and then do question 5. Time though will be a bigger issue for me, than what to write so I guess it is where your weakness is at.

Original post by catastrophe

I got 7 for both of my recent ones because my teacher said she never gives anyone full marks on mocks because there is always room for improvement. I analysed a bit but unintentionally. Literally it is summarising and picking out key points and apparently they have a list of points to look for. When we did one as a class she kept saying that people would waste time going into too much detail about one point because for this it's better to write more points with description rather than one or two points with a lot of analysis. :smile:

hope this helps!
Reply 86
I was told that this exam was worth 60% of the english gcse and the controlled tasks were worth 40%!

I am so worried for this exam. i have no idea how to answer questions 3 or 4, would someone please be able to help me with this? it would be greatly appreciated as the exam is tomorrow morning! :frown:
Original post by ColdKant
According to the most recent grade boundary; January 2012
In raw marks was as follows:
61/80 - A* equivalent to 108 UMS
54/80 - A equivalent to 96 UMS
47/80 - B equivalent to 84 UMS
41/80 - C equivalent to 72 UMS

The grade boundaries are ridiculously low because most people go around answering question 4 incorrectly, in June 2011 only 40% received over 10 marks for question 4.

source : http://store.aqa.org.uk/over/stat_pdf/AQA-GCSE-GDE-BOUND-JAN12.PDF

Thanks :smile: Do you reckon they will be that low for this exam?
Gosh- I'm really sorry, I meant the post you were referring to with the mention of tenses it in- nothing you wrote at all! And I didn't intend to be sarcastic- I just get fed up with people like that spamming forums with weird rambles about aphorism, or whatever it was!

Honestly, you shouldn't be the one apologising.

I feel very bad since i interpreted your post wrong:/

I am sincerely apologetic. :smile:
I did it in January and got an A*, which was a shock because I thought I messed up a lot. Basically just make sure you time it right, I did question 4, the comparison one last and I barely had anytime to go into depth, so timing is definitely one of the most important aspects. For section B being quite descriptive and well structured seems to work effectively, I have a habit of being TOO descriptive when it isn't necessary though, suppose everyone's different. Good luck to everyone doing it

Sorry for bothering you again

but please could you tell me how you structured you responses?

I would be very grateful. :smile:
Original post by science-oliver
Honestly, you shouldn't be the one apologising.

I feel very bad since i interpreted your post wrong:/

I am sincerely apologetic. :smile:

Well, since I didn't feel you needed to apologise at all, it appears we are all good- problem solved! Hope your exams go well :smile:
Well, since I didn't feel you needed to apologise at all, it appears we are all good- problem solved! Hope your exams go well

Thankyou and i hope you too, get the grades you are hoping for :smile:
Reply 92
Really confused about the whole paper! I know what to write, just not how to! any pointers? Especially for question 1 and 2? It just seems too basic!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 93
Original post by aimster
I was told that this exam was worth 60% of the english gcse and the controlled tasks were worth 40%!

I am so worried for this exam. i have no idea how to answer questions 3 or 4, would someone please be able to help me with this? it would be greatly appreciated as the exam is tomorrow morning! :frown:

i thought it was the other way round :/
Reply 94
Original post by cardigansandjeans
Thanks :smile: Do you reckon they will be that low for this exam?

Depends really, it's the same year group.
Probably go up or down two marks most likely for the a*
Reply 95
hi guys where do i find the sources of each past paper as i cant find it on the AQA website? thanks
Reply 96
Question 1:
- read the text and highlight at least four bits of key information which will be relevant to the question
THEN:
-your point followed by a quote
-do this four times as each point and each quote get you a mark.

FOR EXAMPLE: if the article was about health and fitness and the question asks what the reader learns from the article you could say:

The benefits of drinking water are clearly demonstrated to the reader and are communicated by an anecdote; ''Brad Pitt told us that, 'since I have increased my water intake my blood pressure had dropped and I feel more energised with less headaches. '

Question 2: quickly identify four presentational devices.

-like question 1, this is worth eight marks so you should do four mini-paragraphs.

-the paragraphs should have:
1) the point to answer the question (1 sentence)
2) a quote from the heading (unless its a picture in that case a description)
3) the technique that has been used
4)the effect this has on the read and maybe one short sentence to link to the question.

-bearing in mind you only have ten minutes for this section also, you need to spend up to three minutes maximum on each paragraph. They should be quick and headlines, sub-headings, bold words, pictures and colours (connotations) are some of the things to be identified

EXAMPLE:

The headline of the article is shorts and bold to inform the audience of the article's emotional content and maintain their interest; ' Are you happy?' This rhetorical question forces the reader to consider whether they are 'happy' or not. This intrigues them further to continue reading the article to find out why they have been asked to consider this.

Done. The same structural format follows for question 3. However, question 3 will be about identifying language devices.

EXAMPLE:
How do the narrator's descriptions create sympathy in the reader?

The narration of the recollection of the disastrous earthquake creates imagery for the reader to help them understand the situation; 'The fear drained from the child's face like tears and a flicker of bravery grew to replace this as the continued to try and save their sister.' The simile 'tears' demonstrates the child's fear, which evokes the reader to feel pity for them because the child's peace has been destroyed by this disaster. The descriptions of the narrator make the reader feel sympathy by describing how the people are coping with the situation.

^Not the best of paragraphs to be fair, but it still would have got me up to four marks that I needed. It goes to show, you can't be wrong about the effect it creates because each person reacts differently- just as long as you identify a valid technique to explain then you can get the marks.

This may seem too easy but you are supposed to spend only ten minutes each for questions 1-3, but trust me, I have always got full marks for the first three questions! Hope I helped :smile:
Original post by osama2
hi guys where do i find the sources of each past paper as i cant find it on the AQA website? thanks

They're not there because of copyright. If you google the newspaper article names, with the respective author, you can usually find the article, and you may be lucky and be able to find other sources online too.
Reply 98
Question 1:
- read the text and highlight at least four bits of key information which will be relevant to the question
THEN:
-your point followed by a quote
-do this four times as each point and each quote get you a mark.

FOR EXAMPLE: if the article was about health and fitness and the question asks what the reader learns from the article you could say:

The benefits of drinking water are clearly demonstrated to the reader and are communicated by an anecdote; ''Brad Pitt told us that, 'since I have increased my water intake my blood pressure had dropped and I feel more energised with less headaches. '

Question 2: quickly identify four presentational devices.

-like question 1, this is worth eight marks so you should do four mini-paragraphs.

-the paragraphs should have:
1) the point to answer the question (1 sentence)
2) a quote from the heading (unless its a picture in that case a description)
3) the technique that has been used
4)the effect this has on the read and maybe one short sentence to link to the question.

-bearing in mind you only have ten minutes for this section also, you need to spend up to three minutes maximum on each paragraph. They should be quick and headlines, sub-headings, bold words, pictures and colours (connotations) are some of the things to be identified

EXAMPLE:

The headline of the article is shorts and bold to inform the audience of the article's emotional content and maintain their interest; ' Are you happy?' This rhetorical question forces the reader to consider whether they are 'happy' or not. This intrigues them further to continue reading the article to find out why they have been asked to consider this.

Done. The same structural format follows for question 3. However, question 3 will be about identifying language devices.

EXAMPLE:
How do the narrator's descriptions create sympathy in the reader?

The narration of the recollection of the disastrous earthquake creates imagery for the reader to help them understand the situation; 'The fear drained from the child's face like tears and a flicker of bravery grew to replace this as the continued to try and save their sister.' The simile 'tears' demonstrates the child's fear, which evokes the reader to feel pity for them because the child's peace has been destroyed by this disaster. The descriptions of the narrator make the reader feel sympathy by describing how the people are coping with the situation.

^Not the best of paragraphs to be fair, but it still would have got me up to four marks that I needed. It goes to show, you can't be wrong about the effect it creates because each person reacts differently- just as long as you identify a valid technique to explain then you can get the marks.

This may seem too easy but you are supposed to spend only ten minutes each for questions 1-3, but trust me, I have always got full marks for the first three questions! Hope I helped :smile:
which questions should be structured as mini essays? do they need intros and conclusions? or is it just paragraphs?
thanks, pp123

Quick Reply