The Student Room Group

Guardian is anti-Semitic?

I really don't know what to think of this guy.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
lol Pat Condell lol

I don't like the Guardian (it publishes articles by neo-stalinists like Seamus Milne and discredited frauds like David Gibbs), but Pat Condell is a moran, and his own statements about Arabs (yes Arabs, not just Muslims) are far more openly bigoted than anything the Guardian has come out with. Its also funny because almost every single criticism that he levels at the Guardian can be applied to him, such as self-rightiousness.
(edited 11 years ago)
It's not anti-Semitic. Some people who write or have once written for it may have harboured anti-Semitic tendencies, but this does not mean that the newspaper or the people who write for it are anti-Semitic.
Reply 3
Slight correction: Some people who have written for it are definitely antisemitic. Ismail Haniyeh for one (for those not in the know he's the head of Hamas in Gaza).

The problem with the Guardian is not that it is antisemitic so much as that it doesn't really care about antisemitism. Its editors have no sensitivity to it like they do to other forms of racism. Combine that with its very strong opposition to Israel and it is inevitable that the newspaper will not only attract antisemitic types to contribute to it but that antisemitic themes will get through. It isn't that the editors want their paper to be antisemitic it is just that they don't care enough to make sure that their paper isn't.
Reply 4
Didn't the Guardian once support the Zionist movement?

Despite its early support for the Zionist movement, in recent decades The Guardian has been accused of biased criticism of Israeli government policy.[56] In December 2003 columnist and Christian Zionist[57] Julie Burchill cited "striking bias against the state of Israel" as one of the reasons she left the paper for The Time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Guardian
It's not anti-Semitic to be anti-Zionist. That's like those people who say that it's racist to be islamophobic.

(regardless, as an israeli I do find a lot of racism present in people who mix the two, I suppose that's what muslims experience as well but that's no reason to confuse the two terms)

I do agree that the media has quite a bit of a bias in the israeli palestinian conflict. I think it has something to do with fear of "insulting" the extremist muslims who no doubt exist in England.
Reply 6
Disagreeing with the politics of Israel is very different to being anti-Semitic, and yes there might be some columists who they should check out more carefully but sometimes their opinions are necessary for the purposes of the article. The Guardian is always very careful to distinguish opinion from fact.

What about all the pro-Israel American media that can be pretty Islamophobic?

I hate how we're not allowed to say we disagree with Israel without being accused of being anti-Semitic!
I don't understand why people take the Guardian so seriously yet treat the Daily Mail with such derision - they're two sides of the same coin.
Reply 8
Original post by :)ella
I hate how we're not allowed to say we disagree with Israel without being accused of being anti-Semitic!

And I hate how people always say that they cannot criticise Israel without being accused of being antisemitic! This pitiful claim by the Israel bashers is almost as absurd as the repeated suggestion that Zionists are constantly preventing debate and discussion on the topic of Israel and Palestine.

The reality is that plenty of criticism happens against Israel all the time, both from inside Israel and outside and the vast majority of it is not condemned as being antisemitic by any except nutters (and if you focus on them as being representative then you've only yourself to blame for your warped perceptions). However, it is absolutely undeniable that there is quite a lot of overlap between anti-Israel condemnation and antisemitism. Very often (far too often) old antisemitic themes appear almost unchanged in anti-Zionist literature and arguments. Prime among these is the concept of Jewish control (now Zionist control) of the banks, media and governments etc.

And, if it happens that a group of people who have been widely persecuted for 2,000 odd years, were almost systematically wiped out and now, finally, have some strip of land which they can call home where, in theory, they can be safe and sovereign yet still face unceasing opposition and a much larger group of people who would happily return them to their wanderings (or worse) - if such a group are overly touchy about being criticised for taking steps they believe are needed to keep themselves safe and secure, maybe, just maybe, they should be cut a little slack rather than twisting their sensitivity itself into a stick to beat them with.

But then no. Israel is incredibly strong now and Jews aren't in any real danger any more so they should forget their long history and stop being so bloody sensitive about things. After all, even if Israel is wiped out by the Arabs and its citizens are murdered or forced to live under someone else's rule again - who really cares. If they want the world to pity them they can jolly well go back to being powerless victims. The world certainly won't have any pity or sensitivity to a group so scarred by persecution that they put their collective survival above virtually everything else. That's crazy talk - and its racist! :rolleyes:
Reply 9
Original post by UniOfLife
And I hate how people always say that they cannot criticise Israel without being accused of being antisemitic! This pitiful claim by the Israel bashers is almost as absurd as the repeated suggestion that Zionists are constantly preventing debate and discussion on the topic of Israel and Palestine.

The reality is that plenty of criticism happens against Israel all the time, both from inside Israel and outside and the vast majority of it is not condemned as being antisemitic by any except nutters (and if you focus on them as being representative then you've only yourself to blame for your warped perceptions). However, it is absolutely undeniable that there is quite a lot of overlap between anti-Israel condemnation and antisemitism. Very often (far too often) old antisemitic themes appear almost unchanged in anti-Zionist literature and arguments. Prime among these is the concept of Jewish control (now Zionist control) of the banks, media and governments etc.

And, if it happens that a group of people who have been widely persecuted for 2,000 odd years, were almost systematically wiped out and now, finally, have some strip of land which they can call home where, in theory, they can be safe and sovereign yet still face unceasing opposition and a much larger group of people who would happily return them to their wanderings (or worse) - if such a group are overly touchy about being criticised for taking steps they believe are needed to keep themselves safe and secure, maybe, just maybe, they should be cut a little slack rather than twisting their sensitivity itself into a stick to beat them with.

But then no. Israel is incredibly strong now and Jews aren't in any real danger any more so they should forget their long history and stop being so bloody sensitive about things. After all, even if Israel is wiped out by the Arabs and its citizens are murdered or forced to live under someone else's rule again - who really cares. If they want the world to pity them they can jolly well go back to being powerless victims. The world certainly won't have any pity or sensitivity to a group so scarred by persecution that they put their collective survival above virtually everything else. That's crazy talk - and its racist! :rolleyes:

I completely get that Jews have been persecuted for thousands of years but they aren't any more, and the world should try to move away from using religion to define groups of people. The Israel/Palestine conflict should be about Israel and Palestine, not Jews and Muslims.
I love how it's only when Pat Condell talks about Islam that he gets criticism.
Original post by :)ella
I completely get that Jews have been persecuted for thousands of years but they aren't any more, and the world should try to move away from using religion to define groups of people. The Israel/Palestine conflict should be about Israel and Palestine, not Jews and Muslims.

I know this is going to be hard for people to understand but it needs saying in any case.

Jewish history is very long and our collective memory is very long as well. Its been less than 70 years since the Holocaust which, compared to our history, is a tiny blip. And even since then Jews have not been safe. Jews right across the world have been killed because they are Jews. So to suggest that Jews should just forget their past and "move on" is really rather naive and, to some extent, insensitive. Its kind of like suggesting that an abused child should "move on" and forget their abuse just a few years after leaving their abusive parents. The trauma remains for a long, long time.

So, even if critics of Israel are absolutely right that they are not antisemitic and are not using antisemitic imagery or themes and have said and done nothing that a reasonable person would consider to be antisemitic - is it too much for them to be a little sensitive to the trauma of Jews? I really don't think it's good enough to say "the Jews aren't persecuted any more - get over it already". And it certainly isn't good enough when antisemitism still very much exists among the populace and among many governments.
Original post by Dragonfly07
It's not anti-Semitic to be anti-Zionist. That's like those people who say that it's racist to be islamophobic.

(regardless, as an israeli I do find a lot of racism present in people who mix the two, I suppose that's what muslims experience as well but that's no reason to confuse the two terms)

I do agree that the media has quite a bit of a bias in the israeli palestinian conflict. I think it has something to do with fear of "insulting" the extremist muslims who no doubt exist in England.

..Or maybe a lot of the media is simply appalled at the way the Israeli government and army oppresses and terrorizes the Palestinian people in their own homeland? Just a thought!
Reply 13
Pat Condell seems a bit hit and miss to me. On the one hand he's got a nice flair to him when he's talking about free speech and the like, but then again I find his politics (UKIP..) a bit disagreeable. I take this as one of his politics posts.
Anti-Zionism takes two faces- on the one hand, you have legitimate concerns over an expansive state unsettling an already precarious political arena by overzealous religious settlers (the only expansion happening comes from Orthodox Jews who are illegally, according to the Israeli government, settling where they're not supposed to); on the other, simple rage at the very presence of Jews in an area populated by traditionally antisemitic religious groups.
Original post by KittenInfusion
..Or maybe a lot of the media is simply appalled at the way the Israeli government and army oppresses and terrorizes the Palestinian people in their own homeland? Just a thought!

I was talking about the bias rather than the abundance, although if you want to talk about the amount of media coverage...

Without comparing the evil of the atrocities around the world (although if I had to rate them, Israel wouldn't be at the those that I am about to list), I could name quite a few of them, including Sudan, South Africa, North Korea, Congo, and more. Barely any of those receive any media coverage. The reason for that is because they aren't involved in a religious war that's so important to the rest of the world as the middle east. When I say the rest of the world, I mean the two largest groups of religious fanatics: American Christians and Arab/middle eastern Muslims.

If Israel wasn't such an important biblical site no one would give a **** about the plight of its people.
Original post by UniOfLife
I know this is going to be hard for people to understand but it needs saying in any case.

Jewish history is very long and our collective memory is very long as well. Its been less than 70 years since the Holocaust which, compared to our history, is a tiny blip. And even since then Jews have not been safe. Jews right across the world have been killed because they are Jews. So to suggest that Jews should just forget their past and "move on" is really rather naive and, to some extent, insensitive. Its kind of like suggesting that an abused child should "move on" and forget their abuse just a few years after leaving their abusive parents. The trauma remains for a long, long time.

So, even if critics of Israel are absolutely right that they are not antisemitic and are not using antisemitic imagery or themes and have said and done nothing that a reasonable person would consider to be antisemitic - is it too much for them to be a little sensitive to the trauma of Jews? I really don't think it's good enough to say "the Jews aren't persecuted any more - get over it already". And it certainly isn't good enough when antisemitism still very much exists among the populace and among many governments.

I almost completely disagree with what you said there. The reason I think Jews SHOULD have their own homeland is because there is STILL a huge amount of anti antisemitism around and I, even as a completely atheist Jew, still feel unsafe at times simply because of my heritage.

But it's unwise and even slightly racist to mention the holocaust as a "trauma" to the Jews and suggest that they should get sympathy because it happened. Most of the people who were in the holocaust are now either dead or 1000 years old.

That's the thing about racism - people assume that children are exactly the same as their parents simply because of their race. Jewish children can and do grow and assimilate in new countries and live different lives without having any direct "trauma" from the holocaust. They haven't been there. They haven't experienced it. They don't give a ****. They're separate entities.

That being said, I do think much of what's happening to the Arabs in the occupied territories is, although not always justified, their own fault and I can have a separate discussion about that with anyone who may disagree with me (don't want to make this post too long).
Reply 17
He is a fanatic, a preacher of hate spewing his hate filled propaganda. Much like some Islamic extremist radicals you might hear about. He has also equated criticism of the state of Israel's occupation of the West Bank, it's apartheid regime, it's treatment of Gaza and Zionism with something called "anti-semitism". Which makes him a bit of an idiot frankly.
I almost completely disagree with what you said there. The reason I think Jews SHOULD have their own homeland is because there is STILL a huge amount of anti antisemitism around and I, even as a completely atheist Jew, still feel unsafe at times simply because of my heritage.

But it's unwise and even slightly racist to mention the holocaust as a "trauma" to the Jews and suggest that they should get sympathy because it happened. Most of the people who were in the holocaust are now either dead or 1000 years old.

That's the thing about racism - people assume that children are exactly the same as their parents simply because of their race. Jewish children can and do grow and assimilate in new countries and live different lives without having any direct "trauma" from the holocaust. They haven't been there. They haven't experienced it. They don't give a ****. They're separate entities.

That being said, I do think much of what's happening to the Arabs in the occupied territories is, although not always justified, their own fault and I can have a separate discussion about that with anyone who may disagree with me (don't want to make this post too long).

I wasn't for one moment suggesting that all Jews are alike or think alike. And I wasn't suggesting that someone who happens to be Jewish must have certain characteristics because of his being Jewish.

What I was saying is that for a great many Jews (perhaps less so for completely atheistic ones with fewer ties to the Jewish community and its history) the history of our persecution is not far from their minds. Just this week all religious Jews spent the day fasting, mourning and remembering how we have been persecuted throughout most of the last 2,000 years. Given that that is the case, if someone feels they are wrongly accused of antisemitism, it would show some sensitivity and humanity to understand where that accusation comes from. On the other hand, it shows a certain level of callousness to dismiss the concerns out of hand and tell them to "get over it already"!

Like I said, in my mind its like telling the victim of abuse to "get over it" a couple of years after their abuse has finished. Except that here it is somewhat worse since Jews are still being murdered and mistreated across the globe for no reason other than that they are Jewish.

I would definitely join you in taking exception to the way UniOfLife has appealed for 'sensitivity' etc in regards to the Holocaust and made the 'abused child' analogy, even if his above analysis of the Guardian is spot-on. But I do think that Jewish history, and that particular episode, is vital to understanding the necessity of Israel in a slightly different way, in that Jews have learned an important lesson about the need to never again be completely at the mercy of others, and about the suicidal results of complacency and pacifism.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending