The Student Room Group

52 Weeks: 52 Books. 2016 Reading Challenge

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Krollo
I just started Road to Little Dribbling a few days ago, how are you finding it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I started reading it yesterday and I'm about half way through but there's quite a lot of history and monologues about dead people.. :smile: I loved Notes from A Small Island and I was laughing most of the way through it. To be fair, I have had a few laugh out loud moments (the McDonalds moment was one) but not as much as I expected. He visited my town though and it was nice to read that section as I knew the places he was talking about.
How are you finding it?
I've currently read a grand total of 1 book, which was ' Gone Girl' and it was amazing. 100% recommend this one !
Original post by Ara8311a
I started reading it yesterday and I'm about half way through but there's quite a lot of history and monologues about dead people.. :smile: I loved Notes from A Small Island and I was laughing most of the way through it. To be fair, I have had a few laugh out loud moments (the McDonalds moment was one) but not as much as I expected. He visited my town though and it was nice to read that section as I knew the places he was talking about.
How are you finding it?

Finally finished it. I thought it was quite good, really, rather funny in parts but ultimately I prefer most of his earlier works. This one just seemed too much of a rant in some bits, though as ever the history he brings in is invariably interesting.

15. The Master and Margarita (Bulgakov)
16. The Road to Little Dribbling (Bryson)
17. The Threepenny Opera (Brecht)

Currently reading:
Coalition (David Laws) -rather good book for someone of my political persuasion
Dynamics and Relativity (David Tong)
A Very Short Introduction to Particle Physics (Frank Close)

Intend to start on rereading If This Is A Man, and reading Phaedo, soon.

Posted from TSR Mobile
So Far I've read:

Spoiler

At the moment I'm reading:
The Road to Little Dribbling- Bill Bryson
Just finished number 53!

I swear I'll get up to date with these book reviews. Honest.
Original post by fefssdf
I've currently read a grand total of 1 book, which was ' Gone Girl' and it was amazing. 100% recommend this one !

Yay! I congratulate you! That's one of the few books I've never been able to read the entirety of. :smile:
Yay! I congratulate you! That's one of the few books I've never been able to read the entirety of. :smile:

Haha thanks I suggest you try and finish it off some time and it's really really good but saying that I'm not planning on reading any other books despite all this free time I have lolol
Original post by fefssdf
Haha thanks I suggest you try and finish it off some time and it's really really good but saying that I'm not planning on reading any other books despite all this free time I have lolol

I'm not sure I can at the moment. I reserved 16 books at the library and they've all come in at once... I've got enough books to last me for a few weeks. :smile:
I'm not sure I can at the moment. I reserved 16 books at the library and they've all come in at once... I've got enough books to last me for a few weeks. :smile:

16 books LMAO that would probably last me 5 years lol ; well happy reading mate !
Original post by fefssdf
16 books LMAO that would probably last me 5 years lol ; well happy reading mate !

Haha. I hadn't realised how much I was reading before I started this.... :! Thanks!
Haha. I hadn't realised how much I was reading before I started this.... :! Thanks!

Must be a good way to pass the time though ; I'm just spending time on TSR wasting the days away hmm
Original post by fefssdf
Must be a good way to pass the time though ; I'm just spending time on TSR wasting the days away hmm

I do that too and at the moment I'm really into The Big Bang Theory. I don't read that often but when I do, i can sit there for hours. :smile:
Update: according to my Goodreads I've read 25 books so far this year, but there are two duplicates and a book which wasn't from this year, so 22 is the right number so far. Still well ahead of my target of 30, especially since I should finish 2 more within the next week:

Original post by fefssdf

I didn't like it to be honest.
Original post by minimarshmallow
I didn't like it to be honest.

I'm glad it's not just me. :smile:
Reply 315
Good reads says I've read 26 books. Add the 2 Jeff Wheeler kingfountain books to make that 28 so far. I give the series a 9 out of 10 and would happily recommend it to any fantasy lover.
Planning on reading next:
Sarah J Maas - aCoTaR series and ToG series.
D.K Holmberg - dark ability series
Brian Staveley -Chronicles of the unhewn throne.
Stephen Hawking -a brief history of time.

Currently Finishing:
In search of Schrödinger's cat by John Gribbin

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 316
Also, for anyone looking for easy yet entertaining fantasy reading. I advise the Kindle Unlimited free trial and working your way through Jeff Wheeler's books. They are so gripping and flow so well that a 30 day free trial should be more than enough time. If not, the books are often on a £1 deal on Amazon.

EDIT: reiteration that the above paragraph is endorsing Jeff Wheeler's books. Not Amazon.
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
I've read 1 book - 'Before I go to sleep.' :h: It was very good, especially the ending which I never reach !!
What happens if I haven't been keeping track of how many books I've read? :getmecoat:
Original post by TheHaunted.
What happens if I haven't been keeping track of how many books I've read? :getmecoat:

You might struggle...*

Can you remember some of the ones you've read? You can give yourself an estimate.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending