The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

A Week in the Life: LSE edition

Scroll to see replies

Can anyone explain why LSE has such a low student satisfaction rating?
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Original post by skylake

I'd like to know this too. LSE is my dream and I'd be pretty bummed out going there and getting what I least expected :tongue:
Reply 262
Original post by skylake

This is gonna sound harsh though, but a lot of people blame their own problems on the school. Before I applied, during my application process, on the open day, on the offer holder's day and after I accepted I repeatedly got a very clear message from the University:

This isn't like school, it's maybe not like some other universities which are very academically supportive. It's a challenge and it's not for everyone. On some courses (like mine, government) it's implied that you will need current affairs knowledge to do well. On a lot of courses, you may be expected to go beyond the syllabus to get really, really good grades and there may be (very small) elements of the exam which you haven't directly studied.

Basically, I felt aware from the beginning (because LSE wouldn't STFU about it) that the teaching approach was quite hands off, but that was in part the reason why LSE has a rather good reputation with graduate employers.

Some people react badly to this and take it out on the school when the simple fact is that the school's style just isn't conducive to them as learners.

Plus, at a uni like LSE which is both prestigious and only associated with one discipline, research is always going to be their first consideration. Which sucks.

There's a lot of other factors which shouldn't be overlooked though:
- Pastoral/mental health support is - IMO - shocking and much more could be done; especially in terms of facilitating peer to peer support.
- Some teachers are just rubbish. Personally I've been lucky and all my teachers have either been senior academics or PHD candidates, but in some courses the teachers may only be post grad students who really don't want to be there. A friend of mine had no classes in a maths module for 2 weeks because the teacher quit and the school was slow in arranging a replacement - totally unacceptable when students are consumers paying at least 9k a year!
- Some lecturers might be quite literally the biggest name in their field on the planet doing world-leading, ground-breaking research and you're learning not out of a textbook but from their live data and theorising. Unfortunately, their English might suck and you understand about 20% of what's happening in lectures.
- The school could do so much more for students with SEN and disabilities. For example: this year LSE100 (the module every LSE undergraduate has to take) was held in a building with no disabled access lift and toilets; meaning that some students faced the possibility of being segregated. Pretty humiliating, totally unnecessary and absolutely unacceptable.
- The school ignores/rebuffs the same reasonable requests that are made on a yearly basis. Quicker exam turnaround, more detailed exam feedback, all lectures recorded and available online. This is something which really irritates a lot of students.

Lastly, experiences can vary department to department. I've had a really great experience in the gov department. One of my best mates is doing phil & econ and loves dealing with the phil dept and hates the econ. I think that big disparity is something that really frustrates people too.

Sorry for the huge reply, hope his helps.
Female Flatmates Wanted for a flat near King's Cross, London - (£90 per week). Four places available. Must be a non-smoking, tidy, quiet, serious student. If you are interested, please email a message to:[email protected]
Reply 264
Original post by skylake

Overall I find LSE to be hit and miss. Something is either really good or really bad. Overall my department is really bad. They're so disorganised and they simply couldn't care less about undergrads. I know it's an issue in any research intensive university but at LSE it's clear I'm just a number lining their coffers. On the plus side my academic advisor has been really helpful which is great.

Teaching has also been hit and miss. This year the teacher for one of my compulsory courses is an antisocial postgrad who shouldn't be teaching. I think it's fair to say that to teach you need to be comfortable interacting with the students. This teacher cannot. It's quite shocking actually. My other teachers this year are good. So basically you either get lucky and dropped in a class taught by a professional or you get stuck with the postgrads.

Lectures: sometimes the lecturer literally just reads off the slides and you wonder why you even showed up. Other times you get lucky and they have a leading academic doing lectures so it's captivating and worth attending. The most useful lectures are the ones where they don't use any slides, they're just using their knowledge, and you want to write down as much of it as possible because you know they're an expert.

Overall: if you attend LSE you should be selective about how you use your time. Don't go to useless lectures if you can't understand half of what's being said: do extra readings instead. If you get a disinterested postgrad teacher, feel free to pull plenty of sickies (selectively, not more than 2 in a row), because believe me you're not missing out on anything anyways. In my first year I skipped half the lectures and classes for one of my courses. I ended up getting a first on that exam because I thoroughly went through the readings.
Reply 265
Original post by Flibib
This is gonna sound harsh though, but a lot of people blame their own problems on the school. Before I applied, during my application process, on the open day, on the offer holder's day and after I accepted I repeatedly got a very clear message from the University:

This isn't like school, it's maybe not like some other universities which are very academically supportive. It's a challenge and it's not for everyone. On some courses (like mine, government) it's implied that you will need current affairs knowledge to do well. On a lot of courses, you may be expected to go beyond the syllabus to get really, really good grades and there may be (very small) elements of the exam which you haven't directly studied.

Basically, I felt aware from the beginning (because LSE wouldn't STFU about it) that the teaching approach was quite hands off, but that was in part the reason why LSE has a rather good reputation with graduate employers.

Some people react badly to this and take it out on the school when the simple fact is that the school's style just isn't conducive to them as learners.

Plus, at a uni like LSE which is both prestigious and only associated with one discipline, research is always going to be their first consideration. Which sucks.

There's a lot of other factors which shouldn't be overlooked though:
- Pastoral/mental health support is - IMO - shocking and much more could be done; especially in terms of facilitating peer to peer support.
- Some teachers are just rubbish. Personally I've been lucky and all my teachers have either been senior academics or PHD candidates, but in some courses the teachers may only be post grad students who really don't want to be there. A friend of mine had no classes in a maths module for 2 weeks because the teacher quit and the school was slow in arranging a replacement - totally unacceptable when students are consumers paying at least 9k a year!
- Some lecturers might be quite literally the biggest name in their field on the planet doing world-leading, ground-breaking research and you're learning not out of a textbook but from their live data and theorising. Unfortunately, their English might suck and you understand about 20% of what's happening in lectures.
- The school could do so much more for students with SEN and disabilities. For example: this year LSE100 (the module every LSE undergraduate has to take) was held in a building with no disabled access lift and toilets; meaning that some students faced the possibility of being segregated. Pretty humiliating, totally unnecessary and absolutely unacceptable.
- The school ignores/rebuffs the same reasonable requests that are made on a yearly basis. Quicker exam turnaround, more detailed exam feedback, all lectures recorded and available online. This is something which really irritates a lot of students.

Lastly, experiences can vary department to department. I've had a really great experience in the gov department. One of my best mates is doing phil & econ and loves dealing with the phil dept and hates the econ. I think that big disparity is something that really frustrates people too.

Sorry for the huge reply, hope his helps.

100% accurate.
Each department at LSE has a huge amount of independence. I'm split between the government and philosophy departments, and they are both quite good. I've been at LSE for 4 years now (undergrad and masters) so I feel more confident talking about this.

One crucial thing to keep in mind when looking at student satisfaction / experience ratings is the London effect. Kings and UCL are both on a par or just slightly above LSE on the rating scale. The only university in London with a significantly higher satisfaction rating is Imperial College.

Imperial is unique because of its location and very healthy funding situation. All credit to them for prioritising the student experience, too.

The jury is out as to why students in London are so much more dissatisfied overall - it's certainly not LSE specific. IMO it's the lack of space, money and time = low quality of life. My life revolves around London, not LSE. I've recently been writing a paper every 1.5 weeks + 15 hours of part time work + 20-30 hours of grad job applications + 7 hours of seminars. This city pushes you to work hard because the opportunities are so much more tangible.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 267
How is the econ department? And the workload? I got an offer but not sure yet about going..mostly because of the teaching approach and London (expensive + no campus)
How is life for a student that commutes from home?
Hey I'm an international student. Do I have to worry about accomodation placings now or settle it only when I'm at LSE (prob around early September). Also, I'm into archery, so is there any archery range around LSE ?
Reply 270
Original post by SyazwanShahrul
Hey I'm an international student. Do I have to worry about accomodation placings now or settle it only when I'm at LSE (prob around early September). Also, I'm into archery, so is there any archery range around LSE ?

Hi! I am also into archery so hopefully there is. But when I looked at the sports clubs of LSE, unfortunately there wasn't an archery club
Hi I'm an international student and I know LSE tend to incorporate a lot of math into their courses. Will qualitative courses like government, politics and IR and IR also have a lot of math and statistics in the courses? Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending