The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Does this look work? Going to a wedding in a few days and was looking at a few things.

Pale pink shirt, patterned purple tie, navy waistcoat and grey suit. I'm not sure if the waistcoat goes with the suit, it's a cotton waistcoat and it's not made from the same material as the suit jacket. I didn't get a matching waistcoat with the suit when I brought it, so I couldn't really find one within my budget that was the exact same colour.

Spoiler

Reply 8401
Original post by hash007
Does this look work? Going to a wedding in a few days and was looking at a few things.

Pale pink shirt, patterned purple tie, navy waistcoat and grey suit. I'm not sure if the waistcoat goes with the suit, it's a cotton waistcoat and it's not made from the same material as the suit jacket. I didn't get a matching waistcoat with the suit when I brought it, so I couldn't really find one within my budget that was the exact same colour.

Spoiler

I quite like it but the waistcoat doesn't look at all long enough for you or the trousers are far too low.

Edit: The trousers are jeans :facepalm2: Are your suit trousers higher? If you can find a lighter blue cotton waistcoat then I imagine that would go better.
Sort your tie/collar out!
Reply 8403
Original post by Fields
Ideal for your PE lessons if you're in primary school.

Exactly the look I was going for. Except, obviously, primary school plimsolls are black and these are blue and white.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8404
Original post by Tokyoround
Sort your tie/collar out!

I thought that was so obvious I didn't even bother mentioning it :rofl2:
Reply 8405
Original post by aaronbenham
Totally random, but is anyone getting pissed off with the fact that all the topman shorts at the moment are short-shorts -.-

I noticed that. Yuk. My girlfriend is not looking forward to this summer, seeing all the guys around town in their hideous short shorts.
Original post by Mess.
I quite like it but the waistcoat doesn't look at all long enough for you or the trousers are far too low.

Edit: The trousers are jeans :facepalm2: Are your suit trousers higher? If you can find a lighter blue cotton waistcoat then I imagine that would go better.

I thought the waistcoat was meant to sit a little higher, the bigger ones I tried on didn't fit quite as well around the chest but they were a little longer in length.
Where do you think I could find a waistcoat in a lighter colour, most shops had a standard grey/cream/black/navy colour. I only found this one in TKmaxx in the knitwear section.

:colondollar: Yeah wearing my jeans, couldn't be bothered to get the suit trousers out. My jeans fit just below the waist, so the suit trousers would be slightly higher. Was in a bit of a hurry so didn't really pay attention to sorting the tie etc out.
Original post by fletchdd02
http://www.next.co.uk/g37338s4#804825g37

These just arrived in the post. I know they're next but the quality isn't too bad and the colour is really nice!

Not bad for £20!

Primark have them for £10 man what's wrong with you?!
Original post by Clip

The singer is like Snooki's grandmother. The band actually is from New Jersey, they were all teenagers (I think the guitarist was 12 actually) and this record came out in 1957, the year short shorts became uber popular and were banned in New York schools.

The guy at 1.02 seems to be a blatant paedo-bear. The sax player looks suspiciously like Cristiano Ronaldo.

Thank you. I enjoyed listening to this. (y)

:ninja:

Original post by Scott129
Thoughts on denim jackets guys?

Got my eye on a mid-wash one and a bleached one. Just really unsure of what I'd wear with them if I bought them. Any suggestions?

Just watched drive with Ryan Gosling and he was sporting a denim jacket. I want one now.

Edit: they very rarely look good imo.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8409
Original post by hash007
I thought the waistcoat was meant to sit a little higher, the bigger ones I tried on didn't fit quite as well around the chest but they were a little longer in length.
Where do you think I could find a waistcoat in a lighter colour, most shops had a standard grey/cream/black/navy colour. I only found this one in TKmaxx in the knitwear section.

:colondollar: Yeah wearing my jeans, couldn't be bothered to get the suit trousers out. My jeans fit just below the waist, so the suit trousers would be slightly higher. Was in a bit of a hurry so didn't really pay attention to sorting the tie etc out.

The bottom part of the waistcoat should cover your waistband and you aren't meant to wear a belt with one. Tbh I like wearing a belt so I don't follow that but I make sure the waistcoat is long enough as it looks a bit scruffy and unkept to see that part of your shirt just under the waistcoat.
If you find a waistcoat that is very close to the right size then you can get it altered but it depends on whether you think it is really that important to have a waistcoat and to have the waistcoat fit absolutely perfectly.
There are pale blue waistcoats in my work but they are £125 :p:

I was only :facepalm2: to the jeans as I hadn't noticed that they were jeans first time round :awesome:
If anyone needs/wants some new shirts, TM Lewin have a 5 for £100 sale on at the moment and you can use the code TMLNJU to get 20% off. This makes it £16 a shirt, pretty good value!
Reply 8411
I decided to buy these (they showed as £24 at checkout aha)

http://tinyurl.com/6sunkeh

can anyone reccomend me a tshirt or a sweatshirt that will go well with these ?, preferably from topman as its free P&P atm

(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8412
Original post by Mess.
I do really like the look of those polos but there isn't a BR anywhere near Liverpool :sad: I am off out tomorrow to look for a sort of casual/smart night time outfit :rolleyes: At the moment all I have in mind is unbuttoned shirt, light grey merino jumper, loose knitted tie, dark jeans and some sort of shoes.
Any better ideas for colours and items :beard:

Pop over to the BR in Manchester then!

A good night time outfit for summer would be light-weight tailored trousers, and a plain tee shirt or vest underneath a partially-buttoned linen shirt (with the sleeves rolled up). It's actually what I'll be wearing to work I reckon, as I'm not allowed wear shorts while working. It's pretty James Dean, especially if you tuck in, but it's a classic look that will work even when it gets much hotter.

Colour wise? Greys and creams are quite popular at the moment, and work nicely together. For a bit of actual colour bright blues like cobalt are a pretty sharp look IMO, or for something a bit more subtle how about burnt orange?
Reply 8413
Original post by fletchdd02
How can you not like Leeds for shopping?

Just didnt seem to be anything I fancied.

I heard Kiosk was highly rated but it seemed overpriced and out of season really.

Enlighten me.
5216422073592_Navy_l1.jpg

What does everyone think? I've bought it anyway as it was £70 and I needed a new varsity after my other one shrunk in the wash.
Reply 8415
Original post by Wilfred Little
5216422073592_Navy_l1.jpg

What does everyone think? I've bought it anyway as it was £70 and I needed a new varsity after my other one shrunk in the wash.

Who is this Franklin Marshall that have awarded you you jacket? What sport is it for?
Original post by py0alb
Who is this Franklin Marshall that have awarded you you jacket? What sport is it for?

Lawn bowls, why?
Reply 8417
Original post by Wilfred Little
Lawn bowls, why?

Is that your university team then?

I think a lot of people miss the point of varsity jackets, they're not supposed to be things you buy, they're supposed to be things you are awarded.

Simply buying a varsity jacket is kinda like buying an Olympic gold medal off ebay.
Reply 8418
Original post by bengalisoldier
Primark have them for £10 man what's wrong with you?!

I'm after a certain ounce of quality. What is wrong with you for buying stuff from Primark?
Reply 8419
Original post by RedTiger
Just didnt seem to be anything I fancied.

I heard Kiosk was highly rated but it seemed overpriced and out of season really.

Enlighten me.

Well it really depends on what you're after doesn't it?

There's pretty much everything you can ask for, and some pretty good vintage shops as well :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending