The Student Room Group

A2 ICT INFO3 AQA Prerelease Material June 2013

What does everyone think of the prerelease material for this year?
Anybody got any ideas for what question topics may come up?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The general consensus appears to be that the PM is horrible and full of waffle.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
To be totally honest, I think it was written by an idiot who thought 'Oh god, I've got to write a whole Prerelease Material for thousands of students within the next 5 minutes!'.

It's all just wrong. They talk about updating their whole system but I can only find 4 points on what they actually want/proposed to update.

1. Membership cards for gym users
2. Social networking for all the facilities to do with the club.
3. Improved security on the network.
4. Adding automatic turnstiles to the stadium.

I have a bone to pick here...

The first point they mention in a proposed idea is membership cards for the gym which will be scanned at the reception desk, and display all the information about the member.
What system do they use now? How can they track the annual fee payers of the gym without some type of card based membership system? It makes no sense and isn't viable.

My next point is to do with social networking sites to maintain contact with supporters and market products and services. He's talking about the gym, and then goes on to talk about social networking. Is he talking about using social networking for ALL of the clubs facilities or just the gym? The structure of the paragraph makes absolutely no sense.

They talk about adding network security to devices which from what they're saying are Wifi enabled. In the previous paragraph, they talk about how they give users in the conferance rooms and guest rooms 'Some use of Wi-Fi and broadband access', implying that there are already security features enabled on the network which don't allow users to perform certain tasks while connected.

Next, they say they're 'Considering adding automatic turnstiles'. After reading the whole PM, this looks like it should've been the first thing they should have done. This is essential. What system do they have already? Glancing at tickets as you walk in? They say that they sell tickets online, which means they must have some sort of database system in place to track ticket sales which most definitely include ticket numbers/issue numbers.

Then, it goes onto say that they're deciding whether to use 'Phased or direct changeover method'. Erm... Hello? You're already in the process of using a phased changeover? Your system and its facilities seem to be working fine apart from a few minor points.

This PM seems to be based on a real team, probably west ham. But that's besides the point.

It's awful, absolutely horrible.

Edit: They say they want to add more stuff, BUT THEY'RE ALREADY ADDING IT. The gym for example, they've added iPod docking, integrated TV screen and USB tracking or something silly. Never heard of that.

Also, their conference rooms, they seem to be changing a lot already, so how can they then say later 'I'm currently considering whether to use a phased or direct changeover method.'

HOW?! HOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW?!?!?!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Like A Sir
To be totally honest, I think it was written by an idiot who thought 'Oh god, I've got to write a whole Prerelease Material for thousands of students within the next 5 minutes!'.

It's all just wrong. They talk about updating their whole system but I can only find 4 points on what they actually want/proposed to update.

The first point they mention in a proposed idea is membership cards for the gym which will be scanned at the reception desk, and display all the information about the member.
What system do they use now? How can they track the annual fee payers of the gym without some type of card based membership system? It makes no sense and isn't viable.

My next point is to do with social networking sites to maintain contact with supporters and market products and services. He's talking about the gym, and then goes on to talk about social networking. Is he talking about using social networking for ALL of the clubs facilities or just the gym? The structure of the paragraph makes absolutely no sense.

They talk about adding network security to devices which from what they're saying are Wifi enabled. In the previous paragraph, they talk about how they give users in the conferance rooms and guest rooms 'Some use of Wi-Fi and broadband access', implying that there are already security features enabled on the network which don't allow users to perform certain tasks while connected.

Next, they say they're 'Considering adding automatic turnstiles'. After reading the whole PM, this looks like it should've been the first thing they should have done. This is essential. What system do they have already? Glancing at tickets as you walk in? They say that they sell tickets online, which means they must have some sort of database system in place to track ticket sales which most definitely include ticket numbers/issue numbers.

Then, it goes onto say that they're deciding whether to use 'Phased or direct changeover method'. Erm... Hello? You're already in the process of using a phased changeover? Your system and its facilities seem to be working fine apart from a few minor points.

This PM seems to be based on a real team, probably west ham. But that's besides the point.

Well said, Agree completely
Reply 4
Original post by ed11e
Well said, Agree completely

It's as if you're in the same room as me or something...
Reply 5
It's as if you're in the same room as me or something...

lol, funny that:tongue:
Reply 6
Anybody? I'm sure me, Ed and Becki aren't the only people looking for answers...
Reply 7
Anybody? I'm sure me, Ed and Becki aren't the only people looking for answers...

Looks like we maybe the only 3 in the country doing the exam then :colone:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by ed11e
Looks like we maybe the only 3 in the country doing the exam then :colone:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, must be haha
Reply 9
The pre released material is out already? Is anyone able to upload it here?
Reply 10
Hi,

Agree with the comments above.
Attached is the pdf

Enjoy :smile:

Edit: They say they want to add more stuff, BUT THEY'RE ALREADY ADDING IT. The gym for example, they've added iPod docking, integrated TV screen and USB tracking or something silly. Never heard of that.

Also, their conference rooms, they seem to be changing a lot already, so how can they then say later 'I'm currently considering whether to use a phased or direct changeover method.'

HOW?! HOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW?!?!?!

I read the whole thing thinking it was about a football stadium and it's about a hotel? But then a stadium again?
Reply 12
Original post by LewisIsFail
I read the whole thing thinking it was about a football stadium and it's about a hotel? But then a stadium again?

I know what you mean, it's stupidly confusing at times!
Reply 13
I agree with all these comments, the pre-release material is pathetic - I actually drifted off a little bit when I tried to sit down and read it properly...
A PM about football also doesn't go down very well in a girls school haha! And to make things worse our teacher is an absolute mess and can't teach to save his life but seems to think its relevant to show us all his crappy merchandise for the crappy team he supports.
I don't even know the topics for the exam because he's never given any structured notes or work to us, looking at the specification now for the first time this year - bodes well..
So all there is to say is I'm looking forward to this exam!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by MissWizify
I agree with all these comments, the pre-release material is pathetic - I actually drifted off a little bit when I tried to sit down and read it properly...
A PM about football also doesn't go down very well in a girls school haha! And to make things worse our teacher is an absolute mess and can't teach to save his life but seems to think its relevant to show us all his crappy merchandise for the crappy team he supports.
I don't even know the topics for the exam because he's never given any structured notes or work to us, looking at the specification now for the first time this year - bodes well..
So all there is to say is I'm looking forward to this exam!

I can imagine it not going down well in a girls school! I've attached a list of possible topics that we've managed to come up with, but that's not say this is a list of everything that will defiantly come up in the case study, but it should help nonetheless.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 15
Okay guys. I did my exam for INFO3 in June 2012 and came out with an A*. This book helped me so so much and I'm selling it so that it can continue to allow people to do amazing. So if any of you are interested message me and I'll get back to you. It's in excellent condition.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/AQA-Information-Communication-Technology-A2/dp/0340958294/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1367341552&sr=8-9&keywords=aqa+ict+for+a2
Reply 16
Ah thanks very much that's very helpful :smile:
Reply 17
any ideas for possible questions then guys?
Reply 18
Original post by BioGeek
any ideas for possible questions then guys?

If you have the ZigZag education guide it has possible questions on there which could come up
Reply 19
Original post by workam
If you have the ZigZag education guide it has possible questions on there which could come up

Would you be able to get them on here for us to see? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest