The Student Room Group

GCSE Ocr History B: paper 2 british depth study Jan 13 paper?

Hi I'm wondering what the Jan 13 paper for ocr gcse history paper 2 (british depth study 1890-1918) topic was?

I'm obviously going to revise all three topics - home front, liberal reforms and suffrage but it would be good to know what the topic for January 13's exam was to give me a better idea. I can't find it anywhere!

Thanks in advance :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
My teacher said it was home front.
Reply 2
I think it'll be home front this time. How are you revising?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
I meant home front was the paper in January. My teacher predicts suffrage
Reply 4
I was told Home Front would come up this time...
Reply 5
I haven't really looked at paper 2 yet. I am repeating paper 1 next Monday so I am putting all my effort into that. I will probably do past papers from a variety of boards. What about you?
Reply 6
Oh my teacher thought the opposite. If you look on OCR website the examination report is up and I'm sure that it was home front in January but I suppose there is nothing to say it wont come up again.
Reply 7
Thanks guys. I'm hoping it's not the home front so hopefully it won't come up twice! Perhaps Suffrage might come up, but I'm not going to risk not learning the others....

Good luck everyone :tongue:
Reply 8
Original post by kip
I haven't really looked at paper 2 yet. I am repeating paper 1 next Monday so I am putting all my effort into that. I will probably do past papers from a variety of boards. What about you?

I'm only doing Paper 1 as well. I'll probably do Paper 2 next week- you need to learn less content since it's about the sources.

What grade are you aiming for? Any revision tips? Advice?
Reply 9
I'd love an A but if i'm realistic i'll probably get a C. I have 52 ums from last years which was 2 off a C and I have 43/50 in coursework. My whole school failed last years exam the highest was a C.

My notes from last year were not good so I bought the Ben Walsh revision book and I am just trying to work through it and do some past papers which I find very hard to mark :/. What about yourself how are you revising?
It was home front in January. I'm hoping for suffrage in June; I really hate liberal reforms.
How many marks is the paper?? I thought it was 50 but then the Jan 2013 was out of 53, And I'm confused now:confused:, Are the three marks for how well you write? I hate those marks, Also, I got 40/50 for the coursework what grade would that be?????
Reply 12
Original post by Danielle1997
How many marks is the paper?? I thought it was 50 but then the Jan 2013 was out of 53, And I'm confused now:confused:, Are the three marks for how well you write? I hate those marks, Also, I got 40/50 for the coursework what grade would that be?????

Going by last years grade boundaries 40/50 is an A :smile:
Hey guys if you want to have a look at a time line look at this
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2365690
Reply 14
January's was home front, it was a fairly nice paper. Think it could be likely to be on suffragettes or liberal reforms this time - but you really never know OCR can do whatever they want.
My only advice is know your specifics, so dates, names, numbers :-)
Good luck!
Reply 15
can they repeat topics if they like? Or will it either be liberal reforms or women?
Reply 16
I predict suffrage but I'm just guessing.
Original post by Quantaˌ
I was told Home Front would come up this time...

Whoever told you that doesn't really know what they're talking about. There's no way of knowing it for certain since it hasn't been released yet, but it's almost certainly not going to be Home Front since it was Home Front in January.

Original post by allie234
can they repeat topics if they like? Or will it either be liberal reforms or women?

There's nothing stopping them from repeating it, but they never do. Revise Home Front because it could theoretically come up, but there's a >99% chance that it'll be Suffrage or Liberal Reforms.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by Chlorophile
Whoever told you that doesn't really know what they're talking about. There's no way of knowing it for certain since it hasn't been released yet, but it's almost certainly not going to be Home Front since it was Home Front in January.

That's good because it's by far my weakest topic. Anyway, I didn't really listen to the advice since the teacher was wrong on Paper 1...

I need some help on structuring my answers. You couldn't help, could you? I mean how much detail should I analyse my points in 6, 7, 8 and 12 mark questions? And how many points should I write about in each of the questions? Do I need 4 points for the 8 mark question?
Original post by Quantaˌ
That's good because it's by far my weakest topic. Anyway, I didn't really listen to the advice since the teacher was wrong on Paper 1...

I need some help on structuring my answers. You couldn't help, could you? I mean how much detail should I analyse my points in 6, 7, 8 and 12 mark questions? And how many points should I write about in each of the questions? Do I need 4 points for the 8 mark question?

The most important thing to do is answering the question. For practically all of the questions (apart from Q6), you can get 50%+ of the marks with a single sentence. Contextual knowledge and detail from the source gets you the remainder of the points but only as a supplement to the answer of the question. For instance, in most "Why was this source published?" questions, you can get 4/7 marks simply for giving the correct answer - seriously. It sounds mad but it's true. Anyone can memorise contextual information; the skill is in understanding what the source means.

Obviously, you're going to want to mention details about the sources and contextual information but I have to stress that you get no marks for this if it's irrelevant. You don't get marks for contextual knowledge, for example, in a "What is the main message?" question if your main message is completely wrong. Also, you really don't need that much. It's good to mention two details from the source and you need to include own contextual knowledge, but ONLY if it helps answer the question. Inserting random information that is in the same topic is a waste of ink if it doesn't help answer the question.

It seems obvious, but that's what most students do wrong. Our history teacher had a 2 hour rant to us about the importance of answering the question. If you manage to answer the questions, you've pretty much got yourself an A* because so many students don't.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending