The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jjarvis
My gf's going from Cambridge to Oxford in October. :no:

This must be why I haven't spotted her on the LPC yet.
Original post by Zoedotdot
Ooh, keep meaning to ask, do you think you could put me/other fourth year linguists in touch with your subject children? We want to do linguist events and make sure everyone knows us next year :smile: Just if you know who the subject parents are in the year below and you have their cam addresses or anything that would be great! :smile: How's Germany?

Will PM you what I know! :ninja: Hope you get some linguist integration going :biggrin:

Germany is picking up, definitely. I've gone out partying, had someone sleep on my floor already, and have pretty much got my kitchen supplies established. Also I applied for a part-time receptionist job and unrelatedly am slowly realising how idiotic German burocracy is. All of which make me feel like I'm meant to be here and that I'm settled. Strangely though, I feel a lot more Spanish here -- I met a couple of Spaniards who are in a similar situation to me (Erasmus) and then we went to a party in one of the squares and there were probably more Spaniards than Germans. It was beautiful. And apparently hearing me switch from "textbook" English to Andalusian Spanish is hilaaaaarious. hrrmph. English people are an oddity here, and I'm finding it hard to find "real" Germans, so I'm giving in to having a real international Erasmus year and just having fun. This might change when my courses start, but I figure the reality of Germany is that it is very international, so it's ok to go with the flow.
Reply 2122
Original post by Canned Door
Will PM you what I know! :ninja: Hope you get some linguist integration going :biggrin:

Germany is picking up, definitely. I've gone out partying, had someone sleep on my floor already, and have pretty much got my kitchen supplies established. Also I applied for a part-time receptionist job and unrelatedly am slowly realising how idiotic German burocracy is. All of which make me feel like I'm meant to be here and that I'm settled. Strangely though, I feel a lot more Spanish here -- I met a couple of Spaniards who are in a similar situation to me (Erasmus) and then we went to a party in one of the squares and there were probably more Spaniards than Germans. It was beautiful. And apparently hearing me switch from "textbook" English to Andalusian Spanish is hilaaaaarious. hrrmph. English people are an oddity here, and I'm finding it hard to find "real" Germans, so I'm giving in to having a real international Erasmus year and just having fun. This might change when my courses start, but I figure the reality of Germany is that it is very international, so it's ok to go with the flow.

Sounds like you're doing it all properly :smile: I wouldn't worry about finding 'real' Germans, stick with the international thing and you'll find the Germans eventually. At the Eurovision party I had I think we counted six or seven nationalities, with our major common language being Russian. The best way to meet people is through other people, so just focus on building up the social circle regardless of language.
Original post by Zoedotdot

Sounds like you're doing it all properly :smile: I wouldn't worry about finding 'real' Germans, stick with the international thing and you'll find the Germans eventually. At the Eurovision party I had I think we counted six or seven nationalities, with our major common language being Russian. The best way to meet people is through other people, so just focus on building up the social circle regardless of language.

Hermes'd. :smile:

I'm sure it'll German itself out a bit in the end, and I'm really happy to be speaking Spanish (one of my seminars will be held in Sp too :s), because it means I'm avoiding the common language being English, which it generally would be otherwise. The German friend I have speaks far better English than I do German, having barely spent any time in English-speaking countries or having even studied English beyond school. Inspirational, I guess ;( /unnecessarywhingepost
Reply 2124
Original post by Canned Door
Hermes'd. :smile:

I'm sure it'll German itself out a bit in the end, and I'm really happy to be speaking Spanish (one of my seminars will be held in Sp too :s), because it means I'm avoiding the common language being English, which it generally would be otherwise. The German friend I have speaks far better English than I do German, having barely spent any time in English-speaking countries or having even studied English beyond school. Inspirational, I guess ;( /unnecessarywhingepost

The Spanish are all over Erasmus like a rash, you'll have difficulty finding German students if you spend all your time with them (not least because the Spanish tend to have awful/no German). Still, it's early days; I only got to know my closest friends about 5 months after I arrived.

This isn't meant to sound harsh, I just don't want to sugarcoat what it was like where I studied.
Original post by kpatb
hahaha this is such a cute post :biggrin:
If someone who didn't know about the Cambridge families system saw all this talk of Marriages, siblings, babies and parents, they would just think "WTF."
xD

I've had my boyfriend (college husband) down as married to me on facebook since second year. My parents were a bit WTF when distant relatives started congratulating them :erm:

I blame facebook. I tried to edit the privacy settings so that only the Cambridge group of friends could see, but it seemed to work only until facebook reinvented itself next, which seems to be a bimonthly occurence :rolleyes:
I love freecycle :biggrin: You get the most random things on there! Like a hamster, a bag of wood chippings or 50l of fuel!
Original post by The West Wing
This must be why I haven't spotted her on the LPC yet.

That would be why, yes! She's living the life of student vacation for a little longer yet.
Original post by Tortious
We'll get to relive all of the milestones we've reached - first Family Night, first formal, first bop... :moon:

Wait until you get to last Formal, last Bop... Not that I remember that much of either but still. :sad:

Original post by Leipzig
Last time I was back (two weeks ago) I discovered a new Hollister, to my delight, but couldn't find the Waffle Company, to my horror. Not sure if this is because it's gone or because I'm unobservant though.

Waffle Company went a while ago. :sadnod: I wasn't surprised with the extortionate prices and lack of diversification.
Reply 2129
I want to know who my great-grandchildren are! Although my husband informs me that we'll probably have to miss family night for his 21st party. Sigh.
Reply 2130
This sounds interesting how do the families work? is it a college or subject thing?
Original post by Katala
This sounds interesting how do the families work? is it a college or subject thing?

Varies by college. Usually a member of the JCR gets information from college about offer holders. Once offers are confirmed, they divide up freshers among second years who volunteered to parent. In lots of colleges they try and match subjects.
Original post by jjarvis
That would be why, yes! She's living the life of student vacation for a little longer yet.

It's probably wise. I'm pretty much the youngest person on the course, most people are 24-25, having done years out through a combination of gap years, masters, phd, GDL, 2-year LLB, 4-year degrees, forced deferral by law firms.
Hmm anyone fancy looking at a new class lists page? Mostly want to know if this is more user friendly than what we had before, no need to log in or anything: http://www.srcf.ucam.org/ccl/2012/
Did this mainly because I'm learning HTML atm and needed a test website but also because I really didn't like how long the old page was (in terms of scrolling) :P
Original post by Zygroth
Hmm anyone fancy looking at a new class lists page? Mostly want to know if this is more user friendly than what we had before, no need to log in or anything: http://www.srcf.ucam.org/ccl/2012/
Did this mainly because I'm learning HTML atm and needed a test website but also because I really didn't like how long the old page was (in terms of scrolling) :P

I like the look of it. :smile: Having the submenus appear over the menus is interesting, though if I was coding it I'd probably make it expand submenus underneath (pushing the other subjects below the new submenu) rather than to the side (I find it a bit confusing opening on either side, and sometimes miss the 'Part' submenu item and end up at a different subject). Still, nice work. :yep:
The NatSci one makes everything resize for me. Other than that I like it :smile:
Original post by Zygroth

But how does it work on a touch-based interface? Can we tap to open menus?
Original post by Zhen Lin
But how does it work on a touch-based interface? Can we tap to open menus?

I just tested it on my phone and yes, you tap to open menus. If anything it works better on a touch-based interface. :smile:
Original post by alex_hk90
I like the look of it. :smile: Having the submenus appear over the menus is interesting, though if I was coding it I'd probably make it expand submenus underneath (pushing the other subjects below the new submenu) rather than to the side (I find it a bit confusing opening on either side, and sometimes miss the 'Part' submenu item and end up at a different subject). Still, nice work. :yep:

Hmm okay, testing the dropdown thing at http://www.srcf.ucam.org/ccl/2012/test/
Any better? How easy it is to navigate? Ideally would have the dropdowns a bit thinner so you can move to the next one on the list easier... Might have to reword some links.

Original post by ukebert
The NatSci one makes everything resize for me. Other than that I like it :smile:

o.O Weird. The menus *should* work on everything better than IE7 (where it works but looks a bit weird) - what browser/version are you using?

Original post by alex_hk90
I just tested it on my phone and yes, you tap to open menus. If anything it works better on a touch-based interface. :smile:

Interesting...Would it be better to use a click instead of hover for the menus then?
Original post by Zygroth
o.O Weird. The menus *should* work on everything better than IE7 (where it works but looks a bit weird) - what browser/version are you using?

I'm on the latest version of Chrome. All that it does, on further inspection is remove the scroll bar. The page can scroll ever so slightly until I hover over NatSci.

Latest

Trending

Trending