The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tokyoround
Can see people wearing that in certain parts of London tbh.

Not that it looks good.

whadya think of the moleskine bag i posted? :holmes:
Original post by S-man10
whadya think of the moleskine bag i posted? :holmes:

I think it looks ok but i'm not really a fan of the shape, I don't like boxy style bags and prefer this "Utility" one from that site personally:

I think i'm just getting old though, or developing old tastes. I'm going off rucksacks and bags with straps completely. :erm:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7742
Original post by ukbrad
Need a few tips for cheap fashionable clothes. Been told of for spending to much money of clothes and got alot of holidays etc coming up so need some fresh new clothes but on a budget. Whats best place to try? Whats in at the moment? Thanks in advance

H&M, Primark and Topman can be cheap in the sales !
Hi guys, I am looking for a nice non-checkered casual shirt. I really cannot find anything interesting.
Any suggestions? My price range is up to £70.
The best one I found so far is this one:

http://www.jackwills.com/en-gb/product/rowlinson-chambray-shirt-013205220
Original post by RedTiger
I was considering Levi yeah.

Topman and the like do my sizes but I want the more quality jeans.

Or at least something like Nudie or CheapMonday.

Perhaps in UO I was just unlucky. I havent bought jeans for a while.

Had you tried Uniqlo? Quality is surprisingly excellent and they will alter for you FOC if you spend over £25 I think.

Only problem for me was the fitting- skinny were to skinny, straight were too straight. I need something in between.

Interested to hear people's thoughts on Nudie or Edwin fitting? I like a slightly tapered leg but not too tight around the rest of the jean. I guess slim Jim would be the nudie choice.
Original post by Ssouthall
Had you tried Uniqlo? Quality is surprisingly excellent and they will alter for you FOC if you spend over £25 I think.

Only problem for me was the fitting- skinny were to skinny, straight were too straight. I need something in between.

Interested to hear people's thoughts on Nudie or Edwin fitting? I like a slightly tapered leg but not too tight around the rest of the jean. I guess slim Jim would be the nudie choice.

Look at Edwin's ED-67 fit, that sounds like what you want (slightly tapered leg and looser around crotch). Also ED-55 (I have a pair of these) but these are meant to be slimmer round the leg than ED-67.
Reply 7746
Original post by Ssouthall

I dont think there are any near me and it's quite hard to tell how good the jeans will look on the site, especially as they arent on models.

Im not ITK on jeans, but my style is general slim or skinny, helps elongate my legs,
Has anyone ordered leather shoes on ASOS before? Are they of decent quality/build?
Hi all,

I'm going to buy a suit after July when i get paid :biggrin:

I'll have a budget of about 600 euros for the suit without the accessories. Do you have any brand suggestions? I very much like this one: http://www.gievesandhawkes.com/shop/online/menswear/suits-separates/navy-windowpane-pattern-single-breasted-suit.html but it's a thousand pounds... Some from Hugo Boss look good but I would like to have a lot of suggestions since it would be quite a big spending.

Also do you think the price is likely to be cheaper in stores than in their website? Surely that would be easier to have a price in stores and I'm not going to buy a suit on internet.

Thanks!
Original post by pinouche13
Hi all,

I'll have a budget of about 600 euros for the suit without the accessories. Do you have any brand suggestions? I very much like this one: http://www.gievesandhawkes.com/shop/online/menswear/suits-separates/navy-windowpane-pattern-single-breasted-suit.html but it's a thousand pounds... Some from Hugo Boss look good but I would like to have a lot of suggestions since it would be quite a big spending.

Also do you think the price is likely to be cheaper in stores than in their website? Surely that would be easier to have a price in stores and I'm not going to buy a suit on internet.

Thanks!

Fully canvassed for £500 on M&S http://www.marksandspencer.com/Sartorial-Wool-Button-Jacket-Cashmere/dp/B002F7B6HM?ie=UTF8&ref=sr_1_23&nodeId=193211031&sr=1-23&qid=1330468236
Some nice 100% wool suits at Charles Tyrwhitt for £159-199 currently.
Anyone know where I can pick up some quality black chelsea boots on the cheap?
Reply 7752
Hi all,

Thanks!

I don't know all that much about suits but I'd avoid Hugo Boss like the plague. Ask Mess as he seems to know a lot about suits - especially since he works in Gieves..
Reply 7753
Starting at one of the big 4 in september and the dress code is business casual - naturally I will be wearing a suit etc when needs be but the definition of business casual itself seems confusing. I did an internship in the same office, and admittedly most weren't very stylish, and they wore anything from an unbuttoned and rolled sleeve shirt with suit trousers to a full suit.

Do you think an outfit such as a tweedy jacket, button down oxford, smart dark chinos and loafers/brogues would constitute business casual?
Reply 7754
Anyone recommend anything for:

Herringbone trousers, I'm thinking grey
Tweed sports jacket
Corduroy shirts

Clothes to fit 6 foot with 30 inch waist, 33 leg. Not too expensive as I'm on a budget but decent quality.

edit: shoes I will be wearing: black oxfords, black suede desert shoes, brown suede shoes (not sure of style, they are quite smart but not work shoes), blue suede adidas trainers ( i like suede)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7755
Hi all,

Thanks!

Don't go near a Hugo Boss suit, they are amongst the worst suits for their price out there and are usually used as a barometer of what not to get.

What is it you need a suit for?

As for the suit you posted, in real life it is light grey with a dark navy windowpane. It is an incredibly nice suit, far and away my favourite of the season, however the cloth is incredibly light so if it is the only suit you are going to have/going to use it a lot/are heavily built especially in the thighs then I would avoid it as you will wear through it rapidly.
Anyone heard about these guys? http://www.stylegun.com/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content=Love%2BASOS%3F%2BImage%2B1-1&utm_campaign=target%2Baudience%2Basos

Saw an advert on facebook and couldn't resist clicking. Targeted advertising at its best. Claim their "bodymap" will revolutionise mens fashion :facepalm2:
Original post by oxygen49
Starting at one of the big 4 in september and the dress code is business casual - naturally I will be wearing a suit etc when needs be but the definition of business casual itself seems confusing. I did an internship in the same office, and admittedly most weren't very stylish, and they wore anything from an unbuttoned and rolled sleeve shirt with suit trousers to a full suit.

Do you think an outfit such as a tweedy jacket, button down oxford, smart dark chinos and loafers/brogues would constitute business casual?

I don't know if it differs that much, but you're expected to be quite conservative in law firms. I'd dress slightly smarter than you need when you begin, and then play it by ear.

As a general rule, the more senior you go the more flexibility there is, but for us at least the juniors are expected to look very sharp. I would generally avoid fashion options and stick to M&S etc., at least while your'e a junior.
Original post by oxygen49

Realistically no, acceptable business casual will be jacket shirt, trousers & shoes in business appropriate style (not tweed, chinos are barely passable but I'd avoid, loafers aren't business anything).

Button down oxfords are fine, but just get some suits as (dependent on department) you'll be expected to travel to clients sites and they will have differing dress codes also.
Reply 7759
Original post by Tokyoround
Anyone heard about these guys? http://www.stylegun.com/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content=Love%2BASOS%3F%2BImage%2B1-1&utm_campaign=target%2Baudience%2Basos

Saw an advert on facebook and couldn't resist clicking. Targeted advertising at its best. Claim their "bodymap" will revolutionise mens fashion :facepalm2:

I thought by 'body map' it meant one of those scanners like in Brooks Brothers, were you walk in and it measure you using some sort of lasers or something.

Latest