The Student Room Group

Learning Spanish language: The Spanish Learners' Society!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Bueno, no si eso será cosa de Colombianos o simplemente la voz suya que suena algo ronca al cantar :lol:

I didn't understand that yet :/

But I did complete the A1 Spanish Memrise app today. Moving onto A2.
Original post by inhuman
Really? First person I hear saying that.

In my experience Spaniards tend to pronounce words more clearly whereas in many SA variants they can be a bit slurred and some of the letters/combinations have been bastardised, such as "j", "ch" and "ll". I guess the only complaint people could have about Spain Spanish is that sometimes it might be quite fast, but SA Spanish isn't exactly spoken slowly..
I really like Spanish music
[video="youtube;Fg5BodB3imA"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fg5BodB3imA[/video]
Original post by saraxh
[video="youtube;Fg5BodB3imA"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fg5BodB3imA[/video]

:puke:
Mexican Spanish is the easiest to understand for me. I don't particularly like all the lisping in European Spanish, like barthhhhelona.

He olvidado practicar mi espanol por cinco dias, es mal porque tengo que mejorar! yo empecé hace tres semanas, entonces me gustaria pensar que he mejorado!
Original post by saraxh

que rico
In my experience Spaniards tend to pronounce words more clearly whereas in many SA variants they can be a bit slurred and some of the letters/combinations have been bastardised, such as "j", "ch" and "ll". I guess the only complaint people could have about Spain Spanish is that sometimes it might be quite fast, but SA Spanish isn't exactly spoken slowly..

Yup, this. I especially find the argentino/uruguayo variant insanely hard to understand. That being said, it is my favourite. Some Spanish accents are weird though, like the one of Andalucia/Valencia where they don't pronounce the s (like much of South America). And especially the Canary people...
Original post by Tabstercat
:puke:

Qué asco
Original post by richpanda
Mexican Spanish is the easiest to understand for me. I don't particularly like all the lisping in European Spanish, like barthhhhelona.

He olvidado practicar mi espanol por cinco dias, es mal porque tengo que mejorar! yo empecé hace tres semanas, entonces me gustaria pensar que he mejorado!

I don't really get when English people say that because the English language has exactly the same ''lisping'' sounds, in the words ''thought'', ''think'', ''path'' etc.

The fact that South Americans don't pronounce it that way kind of defeats the fact that Spanish is supposed to be pronounced exactly how the words are written.
Original post by AsmaaMahamud97
Yup, this. I especially find the argentino/uruguayo variant insanely hard to understand. That being said, it is my favourite. Some Spanish accents are weird though, like the one of Andalucia/Valencia where they don't pronounce the s (like much of South America). And especially the Canary people...

In Andalucia the ''s'' is usually silent only when it comes at the end of a word, when it's in the middle it is pronounced. And as you can always tell when a word is plural due to the context of the conversation it doesn't really make a difference to comprehension, not for people who have a good level of Spanish anyway!
In Andalucia the ''s'' is usually silent only when it comes at the end of a word, when it's in the middle it is pronounced. And as you can always tell when a word is plural due to the context of the conversation it doesn't really make a difference to comprehension, not for people who have a good level of Spanish anyway!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEX1PO0iBGQ

And as for the horrific 'h' sound? It's not that someone doesn't have 'a good level of Spanish'. It's that they speak in a very distinct way. It's ok to find their accents weird, I think. Even as someone who was raised in a Spanish speaking country (read the comments).
Original post by RogerFedora
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEX1PO0iBGQ

And as for the horrific 'h' sound? It's not that someone doesn't have 'a good level of Spanish'. It's that they speak in a very distinct way. It's ok to find their accents weird, I think. Even as someone who was raised in a Spanish speaking country (read the comments).

I can't watch videos where I am right now. That aside, it appears you have misread my post.

I didn't say someone who pronounces the ''j'' differently (I presume you mean this sound as the ''h'' in Spanish is silent) doesn't have a good level of Spanish. My post was about the ''s'' at the end of words in Andalucia and how someone who doesn't have a good level of Spanish (i.e. A beginner non-native speaker) may get confused by the terminal ''s'' on plural words not being pronounced.

Regarding my earlier comments, I was noting that some of the sounds in SA variants have been bastardised relative to European Spanish, not that they sound ''horrible'', the discussion actually revolved around clarity.
Original post by saraxh

Same, Spanish pop music (not the stereotypical flamenco stuff) is really underrated in my opinion, there are loads of bangers out there :yep:
Artículo interesante sobre las diferencias entre el español latinoamericano y el castellano.

http://www.bbc.com/mundo/noticias-36896631?ocid=socialflow_twitter
Artículo interesante sobre las diferencias entre el español latinoamericano y el castellano.

http://www.bbc.com/mundo/noticias-36896631?ocid=socialflow_twitter
I can't watch videos where I am right now. That aside, it appears you have misread my post.

I didn't say someone who pronounces the ''j'' differently (I presume you mean this sound as the ''h'' in Spanish is silent) doesn't have a good level of Spanish. My post was about the ''s'' at the end of words in Andalucia and how someone who doesn't have a good level of Spanish (i.e. A beginner non-native speaker) may get confused by the terminal ''s'' on plural words not being pronounced.

Regarding my earlier comments, I was noting that some of the sounds in SA variants have been bastardised relative to European Spanish, not that they sound ''horrible'', the discussion actually revolved around clarity.

I did not say any of that. I was in a Malaga last year and I'm talking about the 'h' sound that replaces the 's' in the Andaluz accent. The Andaluz accent isn't what you make it out to be at all hahaha. It's not clear, and it's definitely not suited to people who have a good level of Spanish but no exposure to this particular accent.
Thank you for the website sugestions - I am going to spain for six weeks next year so am needing to learn some spanish! i have actually enrolled ona spanish beginner class for 8 weeks so hopefully ill learn something!!
Original post by Zoe_1994
Thank you for the website sugestions - I am going to spain for six weeks next year so am needing to learn some spanish! i have actually enrolled ona spanish beginner class for 8 weeks so hopefully ill learn something!!

Here we are to help you with your spanish!, where are you going?
Original post by MountCaburn
Here we are to help you with your spanish!, where are you going?

My uncle owns some schools in SPain (one of them or maybe they're all called this actually - the English Tower) Their in Valencia so I'm going over there to help teach people English :smile:
Original post by RogerFedora
I did not say any of that. I was in a Malaga last year and I'm talking about the 'h' sound that replaces the 's' in the Andaluz accent. The Andaluz accent isn't what you make it out to be at all hahaha. It's not clear, and it's definitely not suited to people who have a good level of Spanish but no exposure to this particular accent.

What ''h'' sound replaces the terminal ''s'' sound? The terminal ''s'' is omitted, it's not replaced by an ''h'' sound, ''h''s in Spanish are silent...

Even when the ''s''s in the middle of a word are omitted, they're replaced by an aspiration, not a ''j''/''h'' sound..

I disagree. Anyone with a good level of Spanish would normally have no problem understanding most or all of an Andalucian accent, you're acting as if it's some sort of different language.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending