The Student Room Group

Potential Optometry Students 2016

Scroll to see replies

Hello everyone. I have made Bradford Uni my firm choice. I am very excited... Does anyone know of any good accommodation ideas? thanks
Original post by ELCRE
I think the minimum would be BBB anyhting below that is just taking the mick even for Bradford :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well I know a few people got into Aston with BCC/CCC last year. That's the only hope I have left of getting into optom. My grades are going to be so bad this year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1302
I feel the same, I'm going to end up with really bad grades this year. I chose Aston as my firm. I need ABB to get in Aston. I'm really worried. I have a feeling that I can only make it to CCC.
My Chemistry, physics and maths exams didn't go well. I got BBB in As.

Do you guys have any backup plan?
I applied to city for ophthalmic dispencing as backup, then just found as course is taking place at city & Islington college, not in City uni, they said all their foundation courses take pace in there when I ringed city up yesterday.
I'm really worried, don't know what to do!
Really wanna go to uni this year!
Are you all feel confident?
What do you guys think about ophthalmic dispencing to optometry at Bradford uni?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Guys if everyones grades were lower then the asking grade I'm sure unis will take that into consideration because the exams were very mich tougher this year!
Glad exams are over, just not going to think about my results now! :redface:
Original post by haj101
Glad exams are over, just not going to think about my results now! :redface:

Lucky!! I finish on tuesday
Reply 1306
I finish on Friday too:-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1307
Sorry! Not Friday, I finish on Tuesday

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by theoriginalrpr
Lucky!! I finish on tuesday

Good luck, you'll feel relieved once they're done x
Oh God, exams have been so hard this year! I really hope the Unis are leniant. 😭🙏 Good luck to everyone with your results, hope you all get in to your preferred choice! And enjoy your summer holidays... 😀👍
Original post by BubbleLover98
Oh God, exams have been so hard this year! I really hope the Unis are leniant. 😭🙏 Good luck to everyone with your results, hope you all get in to your preferred choice! And enjoy your summer holidays... 😀👍

Agreed, but remember- they need to fill in the spaces in uni- hopefully we'll have done good enough so that they accept us 😊
Good luck to you too ! X
Original post by Nish97
Well I know a few people got into Aston with BCC/CCC last year. That's the only hope I have left of getting into optom. My grades are going to be so bad this year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Gosh I'm feeling exactly the same at the moment :frown:
Original post by GowC
I feel the same, I'm going to end up with really bad grades this year. I chose Aston as my firm. I need ABB to get in Aston. I'm really worried. I have a feeling that I can only make it to CCC.
My Chemistry, physics and maths exams didn't go well. I got BBB in As.

Do you guys have any backup plan?
I applied to city for ophthalmic dispencing as backup, then just found as course is taking place at city & Islington college, not in City uni, they said all their foundation courses take pace in there when I ringed city up yesterday.
I'm really worried, don't know what to do!
Really wanna go to uni this year!
Are you all feel confident?
What do you guys think about ophthalmic dispencing to optometry at Bradford uni?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry for the late reply- I know that rules are changing for the opthalmic dispensing route (getting into Optom after first year of the dispensing course) they say you need at least 3 C's at A-level and still it's not guaranteed. Best thing is to resit the A-levels and get better grades.
Fairly confident just felt some papers were really mean :/ hopefully grade boundaries will decrease!
Feel like I'll be getting abc this year
Don't know whether Bradford will accept through clearing or else I'll have to take a gap year :'(
Has anyone got their accomodation offer from Aston yet? I saw on Facebook how many people have got their rooms already :/
Plus how are people buying tickets for the freshers event if they don't even know if they got into the uni ? :s
Any herts optom applicants here???
Reply 1316
Original post by liverpool786110
Any herts optom applicants here???

me! I've firmed so I'm definitely starting in September
Original post by ASB_98
me! I've firmed so I'm definitely starting in September

nice one mate! any questions feel free to DM me, going into my second year in sept.
To all of you, have you looked into an Optoms salary and career progression? Also the outlook for this career in the future?
I'm considering an Access course to study Optom, but i've read that its not a very good career compared to 20 years ago. Now its 20 minute appointments with pressure to hit targets. Seems like its becoming less about helping people and more about retail sales.
Original post by ALittleLost25
To all of you, have you looked into an Optoms salary and career progression? Also the outlook for this career in the future?
I'm considering an Access course to study Optom, but i've read that its not a very good career compared to 20 years ago. Now its 20 minute appointments with pressure to hit targets. Seems like its becoming less about helping people and more about retail sales.

The bigger chain companies are more like that, yes, but I work as a receptionist at an independent opticians, and the optoms have loads more time with patients and it's a lot less stressful for them, so it depends.where you work. Also you can work in hospitals and for lens companies etc, so there's lots to think about x

Quick Reply

Latest