The Student Room Group

The Year in Industry (YINI)

Scroll to see replies

yeahyeahyeahs
When did you join the scheme?The earlier you apply, the most likely you will get a placement. Most places are given away from the start of Feb onwards.

Thats not even remotely true. I applied in like April and I got loads of really kick ass placements.
Master Polhem
Thats not even remotely true. I applied in like April and I got loads of really kick ass placements.

I said Feb onwards...
Reply 422
Has anybody done their placement abroad? I really want to!
Reply 423
Did anyone go to a Management Training Course at Cambridge Regional College recently? Sorry to dredge up the thread.
Reply 424
Nope, but is anyone else being messed around by the Thames Valley Uni fiasco? I'm seriously considering just opting out of the CMI because of all the hassle it's causing me, and I could really do with the extra 5 days leave (does anyone else's company make them take time out of their leave for the CMI? They cover half of it, but I have to use 5 of my 20 days which is really annoying!)
PurpleO
Nope, but is anyone else being messed around by the Thames Valley Uni fiasco? I'm seriously considering just opting out of the CMI because of all the hassle it's causing me, and I could really do with the extra 5 days leave (does anyone else's company make them take time out of their leave for the CMI? They cover half of it, but I have to use 5 of my 20 days which is really annoying!)

Are you in Oxford aswell?

Also my company would let me go (had YinI allowed me) without deducting days from my 'official' leave days. You should mention that to your manager.
Reply 426
No, I'm working in Croydon (South London).

I asked my manager about it ages ago, and he just said that all the graduates have to cover half of their training through a/l so it would be no different for me. Pretty unfair, I think, but what can you do?
Thats weird, I guess different companies just have different leave policies. Which to be honest is, yes, very unfair.
Original post by Sephiroth
I'm still having bad luck with YINI. Signed up in mid February and only thing I've heard from them is three e-mails from south-west area asking if they can send my CV to companies in the area. I wonder why no other regions have contacted me. (I'm in north-east)

Hiya,

Just reading an OLD post about the YINI and read that you're from the North-East and were getting emails from South-West wanting to send out your CV. Did you have much luck in the end? I'm applying for YINI at the moment and have concerns that there won't be much going on the the North-East :/ Don't really wanna travel but suppose I will if I have to.

Cheers!
Original post by Bleak Lemming
Hiya,

Just reading an OLD post about the YINI and read that you're from the North-East and were getting emails from South-West wanting to send out your CV. Did you have much luck in the end? I'm applying for YINI at the moment and have concerns that there won't be much going on the the North-East :/ Don't really wanna travel but suppose I will if I have to.

Cheers!

Yeah it was a complete waste of time for me, no success at all unless I fancied moving 350 miles southwest. But this was in 2007 so a lot could/would have changed since then.
Hiya everyone!

I understand that this is a pretty old thread but I couldn't find many tsr threads related to YinI.

I've got my YinI Assessment Day tomorrow and I just wanted to ask if it is difficult and if there is any last minute advise :smile:
Original post by Disney0702
Hiya everyone!

I understand that this is a pretty old thread but I couldn't find many tsr threads related to YinI.

I've got my YinI Assessment Day tomorrow and I just wanted to ask if it is difficult and if there is any last minute advise :smile:

I had no luck at all. Waste of time for me... Hate to say it. Might not be for you tho
Original post by Bleak Lemming
I had no luck at all. Waste of time for me... Hate to say it. Might not be for you tho

Oh right, I'm sorry to hear that.

Well I kinda liked the Assessment Day but the competition is very high so I doubt that I might get a place but I'm just going for it for my own peace of mind.
Reply 433
Hey guys, i have a telephone interview with YINI, 22nd january and am abit nervous, could some help me with information of what to expect. many thanks

Quick Reply

Latest