The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Official Warwick Economics Q&A Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by WalkerPrince
Thanks for the link. Very helpful. Sounds competitive. I've emailed the UG office asking how many spaces they have each year, no info there.

"In previous years, the Department has been successful in obtaining placement opportunities for our students to spend a year studying at the University of California. For 2012-13 we have two placement opportunities."

On the page that the Warwick guy linked.

2 spaces to go to the US... I reckon it'll be very oversubscribed.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Original post by thegenius31416
"In previous years, the Department has been successful in obtaining placement opportunities for our students to spend a year studying at the University of California. For 2012-13 we have two placement opportunities."

On the page that the Warwick guy linked.

2 spaces to go to the US... I reckon it'll be very oversubscribed.

Oh wow, must have skipped that. Two places? :s-smilie::confused:
Hmm, I am guessing it'll be super competitive and you have to get your personal tutor to LOVE you and write a glowing reference. Things could be done :colone: Was swaying me towards Warwick, not SO sure now.
Hi, I was just wondering if you have a rough idea as to how much longer we can expect to wait before we receive a decision?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 323
Original post by vinchenzo25
Hi, I was just wondering if you have a rough idea as to how much longer we can expect to wait before we receive a decision?

This. I know the admissions department must be busy but my application has been with you for well over four months and it is getting quite frustrating not hearing anything.
Original post by Tateco
This. I know the admissions department must be busy but my application has been with you for well over four months and it is getting quite frustrating not hearing anything.

Exact same position as me - I truly understand the position of the department but i'm starting to get a bit nervous after all this time ! Hopefully it will be soon (and good news!)
It's been a while since a lot of people received the e-mail saying how we will not hear until late march, so I was wondering if you now have a better idea of when decisions will come out? Will they come out in bulk around then or dribs and drabs up until around then?

Sorry if I seem impatient; I'm just curious :smile:
Yeah... What they said
Ditto
Reply 328
Hi all,
I do know that the speed at which we are making decisions has increased in the last month, but the sheer number of applications we have to get through means there can be delays in getting these offers processed and released to you. Whilst I can assure you that, throughout this year, the speed at which we have made offers has increased significantly compared to last year, we are currently looking at ways to try make this even quicker, whilst still maintaining fairness to everyone who applies before the 15th January.

From what I understand from my other colleagues involved with departmental admissions, we still have a significant number of both Home/EU and Overseas offers to make, so it is not simply the case that if you haven't heard by now, then it is unlikely that you will be made an offer. We are searching for the best and most talented individuals to make offers to, and this process of searching through all the applications we receive unfortunately takes a significant amount of time.

What I can say is that we are planning to hold another open day at the start of our summer term (end April) for offer holders to come visit the campus and get a taste of the university and department, so if you do receive an offer throughout March, I would encourage you to sign up for the open day, and come and visit the campus in person before you make your final choices for both firm and insurance.
Reply 329
Original post by University of Warwick
Hi all,
I do know that the speed at which we are making decisions has increased in the last month, but the sheer number of applications we have to get through means there can be delays in getting these offers processed and released to you. Whilst I can assure you that, throughout this year, the speed at which we have made offers has increased significantly compared to last year, we are currently looking at ways to try make this even quicker, whilst still maintaining fairness to everyone who applies before the 15th January.

From what I understand from my other colleagues involved with departmental admissions, we still have a significant number of both Home/EU and Overseas offers to make, so it is not simply the case that if you haven't heard by now, then it is unlikely that you will be made an offer. We are searching for the best and most talented individuals to make offers to, and this process of searching through all the applications we receive unfortunately takes a significant amount of time.

What I can say is that we are planning to hold another open day at the start of our summer term (end April) for offer holders to come visit the campus and get a taste of the university and department, so if you do receive an offer throughout March, I would encourage you to sign up for the open day, and come and visit the campus in person before you make your final choices for both firm and insurance.

Thanks for the response, nice to know what is going on. Do you have any idea when we can expect to hear by?
Hi all,

Thanks very much for this !
Reply 331
Original post by Tateco
Thanks for the response, nice to know what is going on. Do you have any idea when we can expect to hear by?

No, because it's very individual specific, and, though for some of you it may be tomorrow, for some it may be longer.

We typically have most things processed by the end of March, but it would be wrong of me to put that as a definitive deadline.
Reply 332
No, because it's very individual specific, and, though for some of you it may be tomorrow, for some it may be longer.

We typically have most things processed by the end of March, but it would be wrong of me to put that as a definitive deadline.

Would it be a good idea to send you our January exam results if we still haven't heard from you? If so, where should we send it?
Reply 333
Hi,
congratulations on getting an offer!

There is more complete information about "year abroad" schemes we run at http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/soc/economics/ug/current/erasmus, including the California scheme . There should also be contact details there if you require further information.

Is the 'california scheme' only available to Economics students? :sad:
Reply 334
Original post by Ree69
Is the 'california scheme' only available to Economics students? :sad:

Hi,
yes, currently

To be eligible for the scheme, you should be studying on an Economics degree course (PPE is included) and in your second year of study.
Reply 335
Hi,
yes, currently

Ah damn. So I'm guessing Maths&Econ or MORSE wouldn't count?
Reply 336
Original post by Tateco
Would it be a good idea to send you our January exam results if we still haven't heard from you? If so, where should we send it?

Hi,
I honestly don't think they would do too much for your application, simply on the basis that we expect all our students to get very good exam marks, and it would be unfair to discriminate at this stage between two very similar candidates because one sent us their January results and another didn't.

To that extent, it clearly doesn't do your application any harm, but it's probably creating more administrative complications in the system at an already busy period
Reply 337
Original post by Ree69
Ah damn. So I'm guessing Maths&Econ or MORSE wouldn't count?

Yes, they wouldn't count, but I would imagine the Maths and Stats departments run their own "year abroad" schemes which you would be eligible to apply for.
Reply 338
Hi,
I honestly don't think they would do too much for your application, simply on the basis that we expect all our students to get very good exam marks, and it would be unfair to discriminate at this stage between two very similar candidates because one sent us their January results and another didn't.

To that extent, it clearly doesn't do your application any harm, but it's probably creating more administrative complications in the system at an already busy period

Okay, was just thinking that if I have been sat on the maybe pile for nearly five months that me sending my results in might give them a little nudge and actually result in me getting a response.
Hello :smile: I have a question regarding module EC331 (Research in Applied Economics). I have an offer for L100, though, to be honest, I'm a little vary of this individual project as I've never done anything like it and am afraid it may prove to be too much of a challenge. I'd like to know whether it is fairly common for students to do projects on economic history (which is the subject that interests me most) and whether they are regarded as inferior to those that focus on more contemporary issues.

Quick Reply

Latest