The Student Room Group

Oxford Med chances

Basic question really, sorry I know its been asked before but looking for some motivation so...

I would like to apply for Oxford Medicine next year and was obviously wondering about the essential numbers (a*s etc).

I achieved 4A*S 3As 1B 1C and also got a U in Graphic Design, and have the impression that these grades are sub-par so to say.

I currently do 5 AS-levels (F.maths, maths, chem, phys, econ, bus) and may do 2 mods in bio this summer, as well as completing my maths a level early. If I was to get 5/6 As (and an A* in Maths), script a v. good personal statement w/ good references, and record an exceptionally high BMAT score, would I likely get an interview in your opinions.

Reply 1
Reply 2
get your as results first before asking. so sick of these posts which keep saying i got xxxx gcse's.
I applied to oxford med this year with 8A*s 3As and an above average bmat and still got rejected pre-interview (although I was quite close in the rankings to an interview) so tbh you've got a minute chance. Harsh but true. Don't waste one of your precious choices on oxford :smile:
P.s they look at gcse grades and bmat score only, split half and half weighting for both
Your GCSE grades arent exactly oxford standard, they dont show a consistent academic excellence. Since we only have that to go on, your chances arent looking likely. Considering that medicine is one of the most competitive degrees with people world wide applying who have much better standards.
Their website explains the standard formula used to allocate interviews. Your GCSEs are, relatively speaking, pretty bad so you would have to do quite well in the BMAT. Other factors are unlikely to matter for interviews as only a few people are added to the interview list based on other criteria.
You'd have to do exceptionally exceptionally well at the BMAT to compensate for your GCSEs. You might think "yeah, I can do it, I'll just revise hard for the BMAT", but it's not worth taking that risk.
BMAT is tricky. Play by your strengths and you'll only know your strengths once you have your AS levels grades (A2 predictions), UKCAT score, BMAT score, personal statement done (how good it is). If you still want to do BMAT, you could apply to Imperial, for them your BMAT score is a deal breaker for inviting applicants for an interview (bearing in mind you meet their entry requirements). You should apply for unis that don't put much weight on GCSEs.

Good luck :smile:
Reply 8
Your GCSEs would be weak for an Oxford application. They use a sliding scale based on the percentage of A*s you have at GCSE, along with your BMAT result. They are not really interested in AS grades. You have less than 50% A*s, and I believe the average successful applicant has over 90%, so you would need to put in a completely stonking BMAT performance (i.e. in the top few % of applicants) to even stand a chance of getting an interview.

If you perform very well at AS, you might consider applying for Cambridge as they focus more on AS UMS marks rather than GCSEs. Taking Biology (and, if necessary, dropping F. Maths or one of the other non-sciences) will increase the number of other medical schools you can apply to.
Reply 9
Thank for all the positive and critical feedback, I think the basic consensus is that I am (as I already knew) already disadvantaged and have to make sure I don't dig a deeper role. So the only pathway remains for me to:

Have a ridiculous BMAT score,
Perfect AS (including bio),
A lot of good luck,

And if I should fail other Med school's will be more accomadating.

Thanks, and anymore feedback would be happily considered :smile:
Original post by CardinalMD
Thank for all the positive and critical feedback, I think the basic consensus is that I am (as I already knew) already disadvantaged and have to make sure I don't dig a deeper role. So the only pathway remains for me to:

A lot of good luck,

Biology to AS/A2 is a requirement by a large proportion of medical schools now. 15 of the 30 IIRC.

A lot of good luck,

http://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/pre-clinical/statistics

They really are very unlikely to look at your AS scores when deciding if you get an interview. Read the stats page very carefully, unfortunately they have shortened the statistics section this year.

Do note that your GCSEs matter less if you went to a truly dreadful school, but I am not entirely sure how they assess that.
Reply 12
As others said, you will need to have a very good BMAT score. And it is not something that you can do by revising. It is only up to an extent you can improve your marks by revision. So, you should decide whether it is worth the risk, since you only have 4 choices. It could be worth it to do very well in all the exams (same effort as if you were applying for Oxford) and applying to universities that suit your profile.

At the end, having an offer for Medicine is very pleasing despite the name of the medical school. Good Luck.
Reply 13
Basic question really, sorry I know its been asked before but looking for some motivation so...

I would like to apply for Oxford Medicine next year and was obviously wondering about the essential numbers (a*s etc).

I achieved 4A*S 3As 1B 1C and also got a U in Graphic Design, and have the impression that these grades are sub-par so to say.

I currently do 5 AS-levels (F.maths, maths, chem, phys, econ, bus) and may do 2 mods in bio this summer, as well as completing my maths a level early. If I was to get 5/6 As (and an A* in Maths), script a v. good personal statement w/ good references, and record an exceptionally high BMAT score, would I likely get an interview in your opinions.

44%. Don't waste your time applying.
Reply 14
Original post by Turthman
As others said, you will need to have a very good BMAT score. And it is not something that you can do by revising. It is only up to an extent you can improve your marks by revision. So, you should decide whether it is worth the risk, since you only have 4 choices. It could be worth it to do very well in all the exams (same effort as if you were applying for Oxford) and applying to universities that suit your profile.

At the end, having an offer for Medicine is very pleasing despite the name of the medical school. Good Luck.

You would need much more than that, try an amazing and frankly impossible for 99% of people BMAT score.

You need a "very good BMAT score" if you have like 80%!

Quick Reply

Latest