The Student Room Group
University of York
York

University of York Firmers 2012!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by AverageExcellence
Yea thats right :smile: added

I'll take the link down then :tongue: Although I am in the York facebook group so I'm not too hard to find anyway. Feel free to drop me message anytime :smile:
University of York
York
Original post by alwatkins1991
YES. They are everywhere. There is **** everywhere. But they are kind of cute, we feed them from our flat so then they gather outside the flat below, fun times. Apparantly they get worse in summer as they breed. They have started too already at the end of last term, it sounds like someone is making really horrible orgasm noises really loudly. And definitely not in a good way.

Do they poo on you? Like from above dropping bombs
Reply 102
When we are choosing our accommodation in August if we secure a place will the Langwith that they offer be the new building on Heslington East? or will it be the current one? I like the look of the new one!
Reply 103
Original post by kevin6767
Duck of the day is no ambition, it's a way of life.

You speak the truth! :biggrin:
There are a lot of stereotypes at uni about James/Alcuin being posh. I think this is due to them having the higher rent bands, so you do get rich kids there. But at the end of the day, you shouldnt judge people until you meet them, and you never know who is going to be in your intake. Next year, alcuin might be super sociable! The only thing I would say is that do not pick your accomodation based on your course, unless it is based on hes east. Lectures are all over campus, and it is a short walk to anywhere on campus!

This is realy useful thank you :smile:

Are there really steriotypes of each collage? I'm torn between James and Vanburgh, but if I went to James I'd gor for N Block, because it has the cheapest accommadation I think :smile: But it seems maybe a bit isolated form the rest of the collage..?
Reply 105
Original post by stac4321
I'd gor for N Block, because it has the cheapest accommadation I think :smile:

I doubt that, it is after all in the same rent band as Block A, B and C.
This is realy useful thank you :smile:

Are there really steriotypes of each collage? I'm torn between James and Vanburgh, but if I went to James I'd gor for N Block, because it has the cheapest accommadation I think :smile: But it seems maybe a bit isolated form the rest of the collage..?

There isn't really stereotypes, except those I have said of James and Alcuin, but even then, they aren't really big stereotypes at all. N Block is a bit isolated from the rest of the college, it is also absolutely awful. If you want cheap accomodation probs go for a different college! The walls are super thin in N-block because if they made them any thicker it would be against fire regulations apparantly as the corridors are so narrow. That being said, I know a few people in N block and they claim its not too bad. I think I heard something about it being renovated but I'm not sure. All money is being directed towards Hes east at the moment (annoyingly)
Name: Bethan
Age 18
Course: Criminology & Sociology
Offer: Conditional
Favourite accommodation: Alcuin (G block I hope)
What are you most looking forward to about York: Being in a new area and away from home to meet new people.

(Keeping it going :biggrin:)
Reply 108
Name: Kikkis
Course: Writing, directing and performance.
Offer: Conditional.
Favorite accommodation: No idea. Whatever's closest to my department. I think that's Goodrick?
Looking forward too: Finally getting started with studies after two gap years and lots of travelling. Moving to England from Norway and meeting lots of new people!
Original post by Chr0n
I doubt that, it is after all in the same rent band as Block A, B and C.

sorry, I meant cheapest rent band! And it was my preferred block out of a, b and c :smile:
Reply 110
Name: Beth
Course: Sociology
Offer: BBB
Favourite accommodation: Undecided, it's a close call between James and Derwent.
What are you most looking forward to about York: Living far enough away from home for a fresh start, close enough that my mum can still do my washing. Kidding, probably meeting lots of new people.
Name: Lizzie
Course: Philosophy, Politics and Economics
Offer: Conditional AAA
Favourite accommodation: Langwith I think
What are you most looking forward to about York? Getting out of London!
Reply 112
Original post by busylizzie238

woop another ppe'ist :smile:
There isn't really stereotypes, except those I have said of James and Alcuin, but even then, they aren't really big stereotypes at all. N Block is a bit isolated from the rest of the college, it is also absolutely awful. If you want cheap accomodation probs go for a different college! The walls are super thin in N-block because if they made them any thicker it would be against fire regulations apparantly as the corridors are so narrow. That being said, I know a few people in N block and they claim its not too bad. I think I heard something about it being renovated but I'm not sure. All money is being directed towards Hes east at the moment (annoyingly)

Ahh okay, that steriotype put me off a bit becuase i've never actually been to York and was really confused about picking a collage, because it seems like it's going to dominate my first year there and I don't want to pick the wrong one :smile:
Ahh okay, that steriotype put me off a bit becuase i've never actually been to York and was really confused about picking a collage, because it seems like it's going to dominate my first year there and I don't want to pick the wrong one :smile:

I think at the end of the day, it doesn't really matter which college you end up in, as you will get all that college spirit just from being in it! Everyone is friendly at York, so you will have no problem no matter where you choose. It doesn't dominate it too much, I have friends in every college so as long as you don't just hide in your college you will have a good time and meet lots of people! I didn't even pick James, but it has been great so far, so just go wherever you think will be good!
Name: Tara
Course: Maths/Philosophy
Offer: Conditional AAB
Favourite accommodation: Alcuin I'm thinking, but definitely en-suite
What are you most looking forward to about York? Lovely city and hopefully a fab 3 years :smile:
Name: Ross
Course: Compter Science MEng
Offer: AAB
Favourite accommodation: Derwent only because its cheap, has a bar and has the best social events :P
Most looking forward to: Meeting new people and partying
Name: Alice
Course: Sociology with social psychology
Offer: BBB
College:James, Derwent, Vanbrugh....but not really sure
Looking forward to:City, course and all the new people :smile:
Age:18....I'll be 19 when I start though, I think! scary thought
Course: languages
Offer: AAB
College: Gosh no idea, maybe the 60s concrete jungle ones, or Alcuin? Is that quite old?
Looking forward to: the course, mostly, new people, hmmm decorating my room :redface:

If I get the offer I'm still waiting for I'll go for that one, but York is a backup choice I think I can deal with going to :biggrin:
Reply 119
Original post by chinaberry
If I get the offer I'm still waiting for I'll go for that one, but York is a backup choice I think I can deal with going to :biggrin:

Gosh that takes a while!
What uni are still waiting for?

Quick Reply

Latest