The Student Room Group

Husband raped wife on wedding night after she declined him sex

Of course this is from the DM but it doesnt change the overall story-

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2138229/Bride-raped-husband-wedding-night-court-told.html

'A husband raped his new wife on their wedding night after she told him she didn't want to have sex, a court heard.

The woman, who is in her 20s, told Exeter Crown Court she was so drunk after she returned home from the wedding reception that she told her husband she did not want to have sex.

However, her husband ignored her pleas and forced her into it against her will.

He is also charged with raping her another four times during their two-year marriage.

Richard Crabb, prosecuting says the husband's attitude to his wife changed after the wedding and he developed a sense of entitlement, telling her 'You're my wife, it's allowed' when she complained about his attacks.

The husband is also accused of raping her when she was heavily pregnant, while she was still in stitches after the baby's Caesarean birth, and on two later occasions.

She said: 'I was scared of him. I knew what a temper he has got. I was afraid he would take my babies. They are my life.

'I was petrified. I know it sounds messed up but it is how it was.

'I had loved him to bits but I did not want to live like that any more.

'On our wedding night I remember saying no and saying just because I am married to him I still had the right to say no.

'I remember saying it and then passing out for a bit and then finding him on top of me having sex with me. I did not want sex at that stage. That was why I had said no.'

This is horrifically abusive and perverted, why are so many men intent on giving us all a bad name? Its very strange how some men dont know what 'no' means and also think they are entitled to sex whenever they want. No doubt there will be blokes on this one defending the guy in some way- 'Oh, well she was drunk and he is her husband, why should she expect him not to **** her whilst shes passed out?' and the usual garbage that is just seeking to outrage.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I don't think anybody is defending the guy. I'm interested too see whether he will (if charged) get the same sentence as if he raped a random off the street.

Rape is defined as unconsensual sex. That definition doesn't change, whether married or not.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
I hope he gets what he deserves tbh. How stupid is it that you can't wait, even till the next morning. You are married, you will obviously be having sex sooner or later. If that man was so desperate for sex then he should have paid for it or simply mastrubated ffs :facepalm2:
(edited 11 years ago)
It's quite sickening that such medieval actions still occur in the 21st Century. It's ridiculous.
Original post by badcheesecrispy
Richard Crabb, prosecuting says the husband's attitude to his wife changed after the wedding and he developed a sense of entitlement, telling her 'You're my wife, it's allowed' when she complained about his attacks.

The husband is also accused of raping her when she was heavily pregnant, while she was still in stitches after the baby's Caesarean birth, and on two later occasions.
That is ****ing disgusting.
Reply 5
I swear we are seeing more and more cases like this, it's like we are going backwards instead of forwards, like some (very few!) men seem to have this idea that they are entitled to sex and that no doesn't really mean no. I hope he gets what he deserves.

If you're gonna neg me at least say why you think i'm wrong? :s
(edited 11 years ago)
Being drunk fair enough, but she kept denying him again and again for no reason, then I wouldn't be surprised if he had just cheated on her.
Reply 7
Original post by Perseveranze
Being drunk fair enough, but she kept denying him again and again for no reason, then I wouldn't be surprised if he had just cheated on her.

Are you kidding me? Just because you're married to someone doesn't mean your instantly entitled to have sex with them even if they don't want to. The article says she 'denied him' three out of the four times he raped her because she was either drunk, heavily pregnant or still had the stiches from a Caesarean section. How can you pass any of the blame onto her?
mother****er
Reply 9

I've never felt like punching someone over a screen but i do now. She doesn't need any reason, if she doesn't want to have sex, she doesn't have to have it. Cheating on her would have been A LOT better than raping her. Anyway, who said she wasn't going to have sex? She just didn't want to have it on the first night, obviously with him raping her i doubt she ever felt like wanting to have sex with him again. You're a sick person if you feel that this is her fault. That man was not entitled to anything, regardless of if they're married or not.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by loochester
Are you kidding me? Just because you're married to someone doesn't mean your instantly entitled to have sex with them even if they don't want to. The article says she 'denied him' three out of the four times he raped her because she was either drunk, heavily pregnant or still had the stiches from a Caesarean section. How can you pass any of the blame onto her?

Even if she wasn't any of these, i still don't see how anyone could blame her. It's her body for crying out loud.
Reply 11

You really are quite vile.
What sort of person doesn't want to have sex on the wedding night? :lolwut:

I'm not defending him, he shouldn't have raped her, but seriously :lolwut:
Reply 13
I thought it was customary to have sex on your wedding night? She shouldn't have got so drunk on her wedding either. Not defending the man by any means though.
Reply 14
Original post by Aspiringlawstudent
What sort of person doesn't want to have sex on the wedding night? :lolwut:

I'm not defending him, he shouldn't have raped her, but seriously :lolwut:

Beat me to it.

The article states 5 times he raped her. When she was drunk and passed out, when she was heavily pregnant, when she was recovering from a Caesarean and on 2 other occasions. The fact he raped her when she was heavily pregnant and recovering from the op is sick and in the caesarean case, dangerous. Are you trying to tell me those are not valid reasons her to decline him? Also no where in the article does it state she denied him all the time, considering there are 5 accounts of rape I would guess it would be 5 times out of the 2 years that she said no, 3 of those times a reason has been stated. The other 2 times reasons haven't been stated but that still doesn't accuse that he raped her those 2 times regardless of reason. Just cause she was his wife doesn't mean he can rape her. It's also hardly fulfilling your duties as a husband to rape your wife as you're actually harming her and causing rift between you. Cause what woman wants to stand by a man who rapes her when she passes out, is pregnant and recovering from an operation?
Original post by yothi5
I thought it was customary to have sex on your wedding night? She shouldn't have got so drunk on her wedding either. Not defending the man by any means though.

What's wrong with her having fun on her wedding night when its meant to be the happiest day of her life (etc etc)? Also, why should anyone feel like they're forced into having sex on that particular night? It puts a lot of pressure on the individual to have sex that night when they might not be up for it as they might be tired, not feeling well etc etc.
Original post by Nightstar-27
The article states 5 times he raped her. When she was drunk and passed out, when she was heavily pregnant, when she was recovering from a Caesarean and on 2 other occasions. The fact he raped her when she was heavily pregnant and recovering from the op is sick and in the caesarean case, dangerous. Are you trying to tell me those are not valid reasons her to decline him? Also no where in the article does it state she denied him all the time, considering there are 5 accounts of rape I would guess it would be 5 times out of the 2 years that she said no, 3 of those times a reason has been stated. The other 2 times reasons haven't been stated but that still doesn't accuse that he raped her those 2 times regardless of reason. Just cause she was his wife doesn't mean he can rape her. It's also hardly fulfilling your duties as a husband to rape your wife as you're actually harming her and causing rift between you. Cause what woman wants to stand by a man who rapes her when she passes out, is pregnant and recovering from an operation?

Why on earth did she get married to someone that had raped her several times in the past?

I have very limited sympathy for someone who continues to stay around such a person. It evidences, at the very least, severe recklessness on her part.
Original post by Nightstar-27
What's wrong with her having fun on her wedding night when its meant to be the happiest day of her life (etc etc)? Also, why should anyone feel like they're forced into having sex on that particular night? It puts a lot of pressure on the individual to have sex that night when they might not be up for it as they might be tired, not feeling well etc etc.

No matter how tired or drunk I was, if my partner wanted to have sex, I would do it.
Original post by Aspiringlawstudent
Why on earth did she get married to someone that had raped her several times in the past?

I have very limited sympathy for someone who continues to stay around such a person. It evidences, at the very least, severe recklessness on her part.

In case you can't read, the article says he only started to rape her AFTER they were married. It also says his attitude changed once they got married. Its not her fault he raped her, she probably didn't have a clue that he would be like that after they got married.

Latest