The Student Room Group

OCR Biology F212 (Molecules, Biodiversity, Food and Health)- 21st May 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Personification
I put J. There seems to be a range of different answers though with L being more prevalent. :confused:

I put L. I was thinking J but put L for some reason :s-smilie:
Reply 4441
I'm also annoyed that this exam won't reflect the countless hours I spent revising, D: I honestly think revising everything in detail like I did wasn not of any help at all, apart from identifying fungi as the kingdom for a description, none of my revision helped at all...
Reply 4442
Original post by TheGirlNextDoor
Good stuff. Van Gogh would be proud :')

Lol:biggrin: and once more for luck! it has a certain ring about it.!

Reply 4443
what does everyone think the grade boundries will be?
Reply 4444
Original post by Corryms
What did people put for why bacteria can't break down Agar.

I said it doesn't have an enzyme with an active site complementary to the shape of the thing, something like that.

For the one about what could be said that'd undermine the student's hypothesis, I said that the starch could have been broken down into glucose, which is a reducing sugar.
Original post by werty321
yh i did random, sample, simpsons index, percentage cover and species richness,

I put Random, Sample, Species evenness, percentage cover and species richness :smile:
Reply 4446
Original post by emeraldgoose
no, in the question it said the nutrient solution was not a carbohydrate. sucrose is a carbohydrate. It was because the ecoli was grown in a starch solution

Yeah, but the way it was worded suggested that the student was wrong, and it did actually contain more than one, as if it was contaminated.
Reply 4447
Original post by sunflower77
in the CGP textbook it calls it interspecific variation (variation between species) and intraspecific variation (variation within a species)
surely it has something to do with the question? :confused:

The problem is that you have intraspecific and interspecific variation, but also continuous and discontinuous variation (which I went for). Really not sure which they were going for now, poorly worded question to be honest... :mad:
Reply 4448
Original post by otrivine
thought was OK but lots of suggest did you see that was shocked at first when saw the paper. for the 4 marks why bats have high and low pitch i talked about mutation and natural selection? and did you describe continous and discontinous?

ya the paper was quite good
ya a lot on enzymes I had thought better to keep exm on enzymes rather than writing F212:biggrin:
ya its about how they feeding on flies creates selection pressure so the one which can produce inaudible sound will feed on fly and the same mutated genes passed on and the one which cannot produce inaudible sound died as they cannot feed anymore.
yup I described the type of variation giving examples of bats
which one you find the hardest?
Reply 4449
Original post by MrMeep2580
I put Random, Sample, Species evenness, percentage cover and species richness :smile:

habitat was there too.
Original post by kj14
woah there was species eveness somewhere in there??

No sorry, I meant percentage cover. I first put species evenness then changed it.
Reply 4451
Original post by Axion
True artwork :rolleyes:

Spread the word :biggrin:

Hurrah for OCR.

Lol

haha very nice MS Paint work there mate :yy:
Reply 4452
Original post by kj14
woah there was species eveness somewhere in there??

realy i crossed species evennnes and put down percentage cover.. lol there was 6 marks though cant remember the 6th one.
Original post by Coolina133
when it comes to a levels, CGP or whatever is ALWAYSSSS bad!! it always has an extremely condensed answer or just one thats under ignore in the mark scheme!
learn from the ocr textbook to save hassle..
unless its biodiversity, cuz uno its biodiversity ^^

yea, I did notice that quite a lot when doing past papers but I find the big textbook a bit over powering :P
hopefully my answer is slightly right!
Reply 4454
Original post by Corryms
habitat was there too.

SNAP
The rough mark scheme for f212 in my opinion based on the difficulty of this paper, the grade boundary for january 2012 and for june 2011. The grades will be around 70= A 65= B 50=C 47=D 45=E, something like that
Original post by otrivine
is bacteria heterotrphic ?

and for that question i said domain 3 and are archeae bacteria and eukaryote and said based on trna research like rna polymerase?

Swear the question wasn't about bacteria being heterotrophic it was about Fungi, in which i said they are Sacrophytic therefore they are heterotrophic :smile:
Reply 4457
Original post by MrMeep2580

I put random, sample,species evenness,abundance(as the question does not specify the species in the quadrat) and species richness
Reply 4458
Certainly learnt one thing
OCR<AQA
What do you think they are going to say to that?..The paper needs to be challenging to separate capable from excelling students. They are hardly going to be like 'yeh your totally right, lets just ignore your result and give you an A because it was challenging'

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending