The Student Room Group

M2 May 2012 Edexcel - Post Exam Thread - Paper and Solutions in the FIRST POST

Scroll to see replies

also what if I said just e< 1/6
I thought e being less than 1 was common sense, would we really lose a market for omitting it ?
Reply 61
is there any way we can like appeal to edexcel about the wording of the question and just be like NO, IT DIDN'T MAKE SENSE. I OBJECT. or something along those lines?
Original post by Arsey
oh yeah, I meant to delete that... I manked it the first time of trying

Proof this paper was hard :rolleyes:

Thanks again Arsey - night x
Reply 63
Is there a possibility that the question will be excluded from the paper?

Judging by the question, it does say the direction of the vertical component.

But surely they can't expect us to just put down north. Otherwise I would've written just that and claimed free marks! An idiot like me could answer that!
On the whole, I felt this paper was so weird. Every past paper has been so repetitive and then this paper just completely mixed absolutely everything up! Crazy.
Reply 65
Original post by Arsey
I would have thought so, that was a really poor question

Surely 4 marks is too little if they were expecting us to resolve vertically to find the vertical reaction force at the hinge, then horizontally to find the horizontal reaction, and then find both the angle and the magnitude of the combined forces? Normally that sort of question would be about 6 marks.
Reply 66
Original post by Jorgeyy
Don't let it affect you mate - best of luck with FP1 :smile:

The boundaries will be low and you can do well in the others too :biggrin:

Thank you, I'll try not to and I hope you do well in your exams too. :smile:
Reply 67
Original post by Arsey
hence my comment about the wording, it means in a vertical plane; rather than sideways (into or out of the paper, z-axis)

I think you overthought this - X (the horizontal reaction at A) is acting in the vertical plane like everything else is, but it's still the horizontal component of F in that vertical plane - so surely you'd just consider Y. I dunno, let's see in August
Reply 68
Original post by Arsey
oh yeah, I meant to delete that... I manked it the first time of trying

Ah, no problems (i had to redo that question a few times myself)

Thanks for doing the solutions btw :smile:
Reply 69
Yes get in! somehow got the k=6! confident for full marks except didn't explicitly state the vertical component direction for 3b but working was exactly the same as Arsey's, almost a carbon copy so that's lucky !
If I want an A* in further maths, it's going to come from FP2/FP3/S2... Bizarre, this was meant to be my mulligan for getting a bad test in one of those... Thanks Arsey for the solutions.
I also got/did what Arsey got for the reaction question... very confusing though
Reply 72
Oh my word, I actually had a really good effort on the very last question.

I had the right idea and I wrote down 10.5, instead of -10.5.

The rest of my method was completely correct, for goodness sakes! Any ideas how many marks I'll lose for this? :frown:

Surely it's just two right? One for wrong answer and one for incorrect working?
Reply 73
Original post by Mr Tough
Yes get in! somehow got the k=6! confident for full marks except didn't explicitly state the vertical component direction for 3b but working was exactly the same as Arsey's, almost a carbon copy so that's lucky !

I'M REALLY HAPPY FOR YOU. WHILST WE ALL EMOTIONALLY BREAKDOWN OVER THIS TRAVESTY I'M GLAD YOU GOT FULL MARKS. no seriously, congrats, that's fairly impressive on this paper and i must control my jealousy
Reply 74
Original post by FrightBright
I calculated accellaration wrong use 1200a instead of 1600a will I get e.c.f marks?

i did this too, bad times!
thanks for the solutions Arsey :smile:
On part (b) of the moments one, why can you not do Fsin(40)cos(25) instead of Fsin(15)?
Original post by IxI_Rhys_IxI
If I want an A* in further maths, it's going to come from FP2/FP3/S2... Bizarre, this was meant to be my mulligan for getting a bad test in one of those... Thanks Arsey for the solutions.

I was hoping to scrape 90 in FP2 or FP3 to allow me to mess one of them up :colondollar:

I prefer Core/Pure mathematics anyway and it's an incentive to work hard on these at least :biggrin:
Original post by Hamburglar
Oh my word, I actually had a really good effort on the very last question.

I had the right idea and I wrote down 10.5, instead of -10.5.

The rest of my method was completely correct, for goodness sakes! Any ideas how many marks I'll lose for this? :frown:

Surely it's just two right? One for wrong answer and one for incorrect working?

I did this initially and got a time of 0.37s... but thought that would be pretty stupid considering it would take 5s overall... so changed the velocity around to negative and got 2.5s which seemed more reasonable. So much common sense was needed on this paper.
Original post by Father Ted
I did this initially and got a time of 0.37s... but thought that would be pretty stupid considering it would take 5s overall... so changed the velocity around to negative and got 2.5s which seemed more reasonable. So much common sense was needed on this paper.

It's a shame that many great academics lack such a thing :colondollar:
Reply 79
Original post by Father Ted

Yeah I know, I should've thought about it more clearly. :frown: Definitely my fault there but I panicked. :/

After I finished I just went straight to the impulse question thinking, what the **** is going on here, haha.

Quick Reply