The Student Room Group

Postgraduate Speech and Language Therapy 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rachel_Joanna
Hi girls. I got the CRB email through today too :smile: Quick question, did you put down all the houses you have lived at during the last 5 years (including Uni Halls, and Uni houses etc) or just your main address/ parents address?? I'm really confused and want to get the online form done asap. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Also Georgina how did you find out about the times and dates that we can go to the Uni with our documents by? Thanks xxx

Hey,

Sorry for late reply, I'm sure you've probably filled it put already by now but I just put everywhere down that's had my name registered to the address, better to be safe than sorry!! When are you thinking about taking your documents to them? Xxx
Original post by Bex31
Hey

I am literally so excited as I'm writing this as I have been looking for you lot since I got my very unexpected phone call weeks ago!!

I had my interview on the 1st May also and can't believe I have finally got on the course! I have just completed the online CRB form, but just looked up train tickets and it's going to cost me around £100 to get there for 15mins! Fun times!!

A fb group is a great idea as this is all getting a bit confusing with so many threads. Has it been set up yet? If not I don't mind doing it?

Does anyone have any accommodation plans yet?

So so glad to have found this thread and a huge CONGRATULATIONS to everyone!!!!

Becky. x x

Congratulations Becky!!!! I had my interview on the 1st also, I think I may have been chatting with you and in your group interview, if I'm remembering rightly :-S it feels so long ago now!! I'm Laura (the scouse one lol) I'm similar to you, it's a lot of money and a days work that I can't afford to lose at present just for the sake of a 15 min visit! Are you thinking of chatting to Paula? Xxxx
Hi Guys

Sorry if this slightly repeats anything already said on this forum but I can't seem to get a clear answer on my funding situation and really need some help!

I'm starting the Postgrad SLT course at City Uni in September and I've gone round the houses trying to figure out exactly what funding I'm entitled to.

I applied for a Professional and Career Development Loan with Barclays who turned me down because I got NHS funding. But I think this might be because when they called me to ask about my application on the phone, I told them I was receiving a non means-tested maintenance loan, however I figured out today this isn't the case as I'm a post-grad.

I want to try and re-apply for the loan (and apply with the Co-op if possible) but before I do, can anyone confirm the below?

- We receive a £1000 non means tested grant
- We also receive a means tested bursary from the NHS
- As a postgrad, we do not receive the non-means tested bursary (included on the table on the NHS website)

I called the NHS Bursary and Student Finance helplines and spoke to the student funding team at City and no-one seems to have a clear idea of what we can get. I've been given lists of grant giving organisations but a lot of them only accept applications once on the course.

Also, if anyone is in a similar position to me (i.e. living and studying in London, not living with or relying on parents and doesn't have a huge amount of savings) and has ideas on managing financially whilst on the course-I'm all ears! Trying to figure out how realistically I can do this without having to work 30 hours a week....If I am able to do the course, I will need to hand my notice in at work in about 5 weeks so time is starting to tick. Desperate to make this work as this is absolutely what I want to do with my life!

Thanks guys :smile:
Original post by fanoffromage

- We receive a £1000 non means tested grant
- We also receive a means tested bursary from the NHS
- As a postgrad, we do not receive the non-means tested bursary (included on the table on the NHS website)

Correct. I'm pretty sure you can still get a Career Development Loan if you receive a means tested bursary, I think some people on my course are doing this. Even if you get the highest amount of bursary it won't cover your living costs completely if you need to be independent, so lots of people need the extra money from the CDL.
Hi Ladies!!

my names Laura, and I have been accepted on to the Speech and Language therapy masters at Essex for 2012! I think I may have found the right people!! : ) I am trying to re connect with the people I may have met at my interview! Mine was way back on April 24th, but generally I am just looking for advice and support from those who will be starting the course too!

Does anyone know when Paula will send round our names and email addresses? She said she may do this so we could all communicate and possibly speak about house sharing! I am just very aware that september is going to come around very quick, and I would love to live in a house share with fellow SLT students : )

Laura x
Reply 1005
hey guys,

I'm hopefully applying for speech and language therapy in september 2012 to start in september 2013

Im really struggling to get work experience, has anyone got any advice on who to contact.

Ive tried through my college, but ive had no luck. The hospital placements are so difficult to get and are literally all booked up.

Any suggestions/advice would be much appreciated :biggrin:

Thanks in advance
Hey Zahra,

I went on my local hospital's websites and found a few email addresses of Speech Therapists. I sent a couple a quick message and with some amazing luck they both replied saying yes. I think maybe the key is not writing too much, I'm sure they're very busy people! I just said why I wanted to shadow and why I wanted to do Speech Therapy and they were both very obliging!

Hope that helps! It was probably a massive fluke that they both replied though so don't be afraid to email quite a lot....I have a friend wanting to do medicine who has sent about 30 letters out! Haha!

xx
Original post by zahra_xo
hey guys,

I'm hopefully applying for speech and language therapy in september 2012 to start in september 2013

Im really struggling to get work experience, has anyone got any advice on who to contact.

Ive tried through my college, but ive had no luck. The hospital placements are so difficult to get and are literally all booked up.

Any suggestions/advice would be much appreciated :biggrin:

Thanks in advance

It can be really difficult, sometimes it is just a combination of contacting a lot of people, and a little bit of luck. You could always try other places than hospitals? Speech therapists work in many different settings. Sure Start children's centres, residential care homes, nurseries, special schools, mainstream schools, charties (e.g. stroke association), play groups for children with learning disabilities. There are loads of opportunities out there. You might not shadow a therapist right away but if you get involved in some of these organisations, you will get to know people who will know speech therapists and help you to get in touch. You will also get experience of working directly with the type of clients we come across, which is actually just as important as seeing speech therapy. This can be a better "way in" than directly contacting therapists and asking to shadow. Good luck.
Reply 1008
Original post by jennifex
It can be really difficult, sometimes it is just a combination of contacting a lot of people, and a little bit of luck. You could always try other places than hospitals? Speech therapists work in many different settings. Sure Start children's centres, residential care homes, nurseries, special schools, mainstream schools, charties (e.g. stroke association), play groups for children with learning disabilities. There are loads of opportunities out there. You might not shadow a therapist right away but if you get involved in some of these organisations, you will get to know people who will know speech therapists and help you to get in touch. You will also get experience of working directly with the type of clients we come across, which is actually just as important as seeing speech therapy. This can be a better "way in" than directly contacting therapists and asking to shadow. Good luck.

I have contacted a few schools and children centre's, ive manged to get a day with a speech and language therapist in a school.

Im definatley looking into working with the eldery and disabled as I have a lot of experience with children.

Thankyou so much for your help :biggrin:
Jennifex - thanks for your help re funding (haven't managed to get the hang of the copying and replying business!). I rang Barclays and they have said I can re-apply for the loan so fingers crossed! I need to make this happen!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Hi all,
So glad i've finally found this page. Im starting the speech and language course in September and have been freaking out about the accommodation. Has anyone else sorted theirs out yet? I went to the university the other day and the accomodation office seemed rather worried that I hadn't sorted a place to live yet, EEEK!!
If anyone is looking for off campus accommodation and needs a housemate then please let me know. Getting more and more worried that I may not have a place to live come September.

Thanks.

P.S very much looking forward to meeting you all
Reply 1011
Original post by Claire Moore
Hi all,
So glad i've finally found this page. Im starting the speech and language course in September and have been freaking out about the accommodation. Has anyone else sorted theirs out yet? I went to the university the other day and the accomodation office seemed rather worried that I hadn't sorted a place to live yet, EEEK!!
If anyone is looking for off campus accommodation and needs a housemate then please let me know. Getting more and more worried that I may not have a place to live come September.

Thanks.

Hi Claire,

I wouldn't worry about accommodation, you still have 3 months to sort it and no-one I've spoken to has sorted it yet. x
Original post by lollypop1389
Hey,

Sorry for late reply, I'm sure you've probably filled it put already by now but I just put everywhere down that's had my name registered to the address, better to be safe than sorry!! When are you thinking about taking your documents to them? Xxx

I think I might go up on Tuesday 10th July, as I only have Tuesdays off work. When are you thinking of going? xxx
Original post by Bex31
Hey

I am literally so excited as I'm writing this as I have been looking for you lot since I got my very unexpected phone call weeks ago!!

I had my interview on the 1st May also and can't believe I have finally got on the course! I have just completed the online CRB form, but just looked up train tickets and it's going to cost me around £100 to get there for 15mins! Fun times!!

A fb group is a great idea as this is all getting a bit confusing with so many threads. Has it been set up yet? If not I don't mind doing it?

Does anyone have any accommodation plans yet?

So so glad to have found this thread and a huge CONGRATULATIONS to everyone!!!!

Becky. x x

I've just found your Facebook group and have requested to join :smile:
xxx
Original post by Claire Moore
Hi all,

Thanks.

Hi Claire,

Is it the Essex course you have got on? If so there is a Facebook group called 'University of Essex MSc Speech and Language Therapy 2012' that you can join. But in answer to your question, no I haven't sorted my accomodation out yet......i'm figuring we've still got a couple of months to find a house so not worrying too much yet. xxx
When do those of you who have conditional offers get your final grades?
Hello lovelies I got my results back and I got a first so very excited to start Essex!! I also started buying some of the recommended reading books and a few extra. How's everyone feeling? All having great summers ? Xxx
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1017
Original post by dreamyfleur
Hello lovelies I got my results back and I got a first so very excited to start Essex!! I also started buying some of the recommended reading books and a few extra. How's everyone feeling? All having great summers ? Xxx

Wow, congratulations that's fantastic! I get mine on Friday. I'm really excited about getting started, slightly concerned about accommodation as quite a few of the girls have been working for a few years so have bigger budgets than me. Have you joined the facebook group? xxx
Original post by Gemma25
Wow, congratulations that's fantastic! I get mine on Friday. I'm really excited about getting started, slightly concerned about accommodation as quite a few of the girls have been working for a few years so have bigger budgets than me. Have you joined the facebook group? xxx

Ah thanks lovely good luck on yours although I'm sure you will be fine!! Ah I see I'm going to be commuting so I don't have to worry about accomodation but a lot of the 2nd years there said the halls were great! I joined yes but I am waiting to be added :smile: xxx
Original post by Rachel_Joanna
Hi Claire,

Is it the Essex course you have got on? If so there is a Facebook group called 'University of Essex MSc Speech and Language Therapy 2012' that you can join. But in answer to your question, no I haven't sorted my accomodation out yet......i'm figuring we've still got a couple of months to find a house so not worrying too much yet. xxx

Yes its the Essex course i'm, sorry left that bit information out :smile: I have requested to join the facebook group, it will be good to talk to people on the course. Ahh thats good about the accomodation, was really starting to worry about that. Thanks for your help x

Quick Reply

Latest