The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Scroll to see replies

Hi, any current law students? I'm having quite a dilemma choosing schools and I need some help. I'm trying to choose between Nottingham and Bristol, and I understand that Nottingham gives 100% exams while Bristol combines exams and coursework. I know law is a very difficult discipline, but I can't risk 100% exams. Can any student tell me what it's like studying law at Bristol? Thank you.
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Original post by amy102
Hi, any current law students? I'm having quite a dilemma choosing schools and I need some help. I'm trying to choose between Nottingham and Bristol, and I understand that Nottingham gives 100% exams while Bristol combines exams and coursework. I know law is a very difficult discipline, but I can't risk 100% exams. Can any student tell me what it's like studying law at Bristol? Thank you.

It's great, not to mention I'd have picked it over Nottingham any day.
Not sure exactly what answers you're after so if you have anything more specific, 'hit me up'
Original post by Taiye7
Does anyone rate the Richmond terrace accommodation? Pros or cons!

It's amazing!

Pros:
Perfect location and short walk to lectures
En suite
Flat arrangements
Spacious rooms
Manor Hall JCR!

Cons:
Bit outdated
Bedrooms and kitchen sizes are completely random so it's luck of the draw
Relatively expensive

- Quiet - can be good/bad depending on how you look at it!

But overall I really recommend going for it! It's made my year! Good luck :smile:
Is there anyone who goes Bristol for Mechanical Engineering?
Anyone here goes to Bristol and studies Economics?
Hi, does anyone know how many contact hours there are for English in first year?
Original post by chloebatten97
Hi, does anyone know how many contact hours there are for English in first year?

This isnt how you measure the 'quality of a degree' - especially in Arts subjects.
Hello, any law students please? Does anyone have a first year law timetable? I'd like to know how early lectures start and how they are spaced out. Also, do all lectures take place in the Wills Memorial or some are in other buildings? Thanks!
Hello, any law students please? Does anyone have a first year law timetable? I'd like to know how early lectures start and how they are spaced out. Also, do all lectures take place in the Wills Memorial or some are in other buildings? Thanks!
Original post by amy102

Hey,

The timetables change significantly year to year, so it would indeed be pointless to give you mine from the last academic year. That said, you should expect actual lectures to begin on the 1st of October (intro to law). You'll have one or two lectures every day, usually with a break of one hour in between.

Lectures never take place in Wills, as it's not large enough. They take place either in Victoria Rooms (the classic building at the end of the street) or the social sciences building (which is newly built and is somewhat up the roads).
You will however have the vast majority of your tutorial in Wills.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh, fair enough. Thanks for your help. I'd like to ask a few more questions.
How early do lectures start/are there too many 9a.m ones?
Are the buildings within walking distance from each other and the city centre accommodations?
Also, do you know anything about Orchard Heights accommodation?
Thanks!
Original post by amy102
Oh, fair enough. Thanks for your help. I'd like to ask a few more questions.
How early do lectures start/are there too many 9a.m ones?
Are the buildings within walking distance from each other and the city centre accommodations?
Also, do you know anything about Orchard Heights accommodation?
Thanks!

I wouldn't say too many, but you'll definitely have both tutorials (which you should not miss in any case) and lectures at 9. They are understanding though so will usually put lectures at 10 or so.

They are within walking distance, yes. You will get a free bus pass, but I never used it myself. That is not to say that it's not a hurdle (the uphill does indeed suck), but nothing too much

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by *Stefan*
I wouldn't say too many, but you'll definitely have both tutorials (which you should not miss in any case) and lectures at 9. They are understanding though so will usually put lectures at 10 or so.

They are within walking distance, yes. You will get a free bus pass, but I never used it myself. That is not to say that it's not a hurdle (the uphill does indeed suck), but nothing too much

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you, all your information has really been of help.
Any info about modern languages?? Want to study French and Spanish post A-level and pick up a 3rd. Visited on the open day and fell in love with the city but have also visited Newcastle and was super impressed with the passionate lecturers and facilities. help!!
Hey,

Any current or former pharmacology students around to answer some questions for me?

Thanks!
Hello, how likely is Bristol to accept an applicant who has narrowly missed their offer? I am an American student. Bristol asked for score of 5 on any one of three Advanced Placement exams I took, and instead of earning a 5, I got three 4's. Kind of anxious because I still have travel arrangements to plan and wondering if I'd have to wait until Aug 18 like other students to receive a final decision. Thank you for your advice!
Original post by bylam14
Hello, how likely is Bristol to accept an applicant who has narrowly missed their offer? I am an American student. Bristol asked for score of 5 on any one of three Advanced Placement exams I took, and instead of earning a 5, I got three 4's. Kind of anxious because I still have travel arrangements to plan and wondering if I'd have to wait until Aug 18 like other students to receive a final decision. Thank you for your advice!

I don't have a clue with the specifics, not sure anyone here will be able to give you an answer either. Try contacting the International Office for advice -
[email protected]
Hi guys how are the Badock Hall and Clifton Hill house accommodations?
Original post by yankotritri
Hi guys how are the Badock Hall and Clifton Hill house accommodations?

Badock is known as very social, very edgy/hipster
CHH is known for being rather quiet and internationally .
Original post by bylam14

You will either be rejected now or be waiting until August to see how you compare to any other 'near miss' applicants. IF there are spaces on your chosen course (there may not be) you might be lucky - if there aren't you will then be rejected,

Latest

Trending

Trending