The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Aemiliana
I DID IT! I did 25 minutes without stopping! :woo: It was only 6k/hour but still! So proud of myself :colondollar:

Also, I've worked out that what normally stops me isn't that I'm not fit enough but that my calves hurt, so just need to get my body used to running and then I am gonna love it :woo:

Nice one, I think i've only manged 25 mins without stopping like twice... :colondollar:
Enjoy the rep :wink:

Normally i screw up my pacing so knacker myself out so have to stop to walk even if it's only for about 10 seconds...

Still 6km an hour is mad slow. That's less than the pace i used to hike at with full camping kit on my back.:cool:

I'd say bump your pace up to 10km an hour in the future if you can. That's a 30 min 5k which is alright. I'm aiming for 12k an hour for a 5k and keep failing. I'm getting around 11k/hour,,,
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by MHorman

Original post by MHorman
Nice one, I think i've only manged 25 mins without stopping like twice... :colondollar:
Enjoy the rep :wink:

Normally i screw up my pacing so knacker myself out so have to stop to walk even if it's only for about 10 seconds...

Still 6km an hour is mad slow. That's less than the pace i used to hike at with full camping kit on my back.:cool:

I'd say bump your pace up to 10km an hour in the future if you can. That's a 30 min 5k which is alright. I'm aiming for 12k an hour for a 5k and keep failing. I'm getting around 11k/hour,,,

Thanks haha

The joys of treadmills haha - help you pace it.

Yeah, that's my aim and I think in terms of like cardio stuff I could get it up to that but my calves literally burn like they never have before, hence the very slow pace
(edited 12 years ago)
Well managed about a 2.25mile run yesterday in around 20-25minutes. Very proud of myself as it was my first run outside for ages on an uneven, unused train-track. Stupid bloody Nike + thing stopped working though. Anyone else use these things?
Does anyone know if there's a magic way to stop calves hurting so much so quickly? :awesome: Or is it just a case of keep at it and it'll fade?

Original post by thesilvermagnolia
wow! well done :biggrin:
I am nowhere near that yet lol :P I'm getting there...veeery slowly! I just need to find more interesting places to run!

Thanks haha. I normally go on the treadmill - I'm slowly working up to being able to run effectively outside :yep:
Does anyone know if there's a magic way to stop calves hurting so much so quickly? :awesome: Or is it just a case of keep at it and it'll fade?

They could be too weak, so you might need to strengthen them. An easy exercise is calf raises; stand on a step so your heels hang over the edge and then stand up onto your tip toes for a few seconds then back down. Do 10 reps about 3 times a day.

You might not be warming properly either, what's the pain like?
Original post by warwickorbristol

They could be too weak, so you might need to strengthen them. An easy exercise is calf raises; stand on a step so your heels hang over the edge and then stand up onto your tip toes for a few seconds then back down. Do 10 reps about 3 times a day.

You might not be warming properly either, what's the pain like?

Damn, my lower body's where all my strength is!

It's like a burning, like I'm working them but it happens so quickly and takes a lot of willpower not to stop because of. Doesn't happen with rowing, on the cross trainer or anything - it's definitely specific to running.
Gonna try and do today's run at 7-7.5k/hour. Still slow but better than 6k... Here's hoping I don't kill my legs!
Gonna try and do today's run at 7-7.5k/hour. Still slow but better than 6k... Here's hoping I don't kill my legs!

Even if you dont run as far as you usually do, moving up the pace is good :smile: It forces your body to adapt to what your demanding of it which results in improvements for you :smile:

Little update from myself.

2.55 miles in 24:38. 9:38/mile

Very happy with this. It was pretty hot as well which made it abit harder :smile:
I did it! 25 minutes at 7.5km/hour :biggrin: Only stopped once to click my knee. Felt more like a cardio workout this time AND my legs stopped hurting until my cool down.
I did it! 25 minutes at 7.5km/hour :biggrin: Only stopped once to click my knee. Felt more like a cardio workout this time AND my legs stopped hurting until my cool down.

Thats fantastic... I also find picking up the pace when my legs are hurting stops them from hurting as much.
Original post by dipless

Original post by dipless
Thats fantastic... I also find picking up the pace when my legs are hurting stops them from hurting as much.

Thanks - gonna aim for 8km/hour next time :colone:

Yeah it was amazing! Hurt like hell when I slowed down for my cool down though.

The only problem I'm still having is to do with my new trainers - they rub the balls of my feet quite a bit (but probably just because they're new) but no blisters and it goes away so it's okay. The whole toes going numb is more concerning. If this carries on I may have to take sweatshop up on their 30 day exchange thing :erm:
(edited 12 years ago)
Just worked out a better 5k route... I think.

Going to try it out tomorrow :smile:
Could you help me draw up an 800m regime by any chance?

I'll give you my background now;

- Used to play football etc then 2 years without any exercise I picked up running
- Ran on and off for a year, probably averaged 10 miles a week but regularly played 5 a side
- Started base training in January doing purely easy running, got to the stage where I could knock out 6 milers without too much bother and probably averaging about 25 miles a week
- Bit of ITB trouble in the past month, I can do intense sessions (Generally playing football) but long runs tend to make it flair up

I reckon the football will help me deal with quality sessions somewhat. Anyway, I want to do train for 800m over the summer before I go into a huge base phase (Probably got for the Hadd approach). I run a 21:30 5k but I know I have poor basic speed conversion.

So what do you reckon?

The Hadd approach isn't great for an event as short as 800m. You might as well do 40 mpw for your base, on a three hard, one easy cycle. I.e.:

Wk 1-3
M 7 miles easy
T track session - 6 miles
W 7 miles easy
F rest
S tempo - 5 miles (1 mile warm up, 1 mile warm down)
S long run - 10 miles

41 miles

Wk 4
M 5 miles easy
W 5 miles easy
F rest
S tempo - 5 miles (1 mile warm up, 1 mile warm down)
S long run - 8 miles

35 miles

I'll post more after my run... :p:
Original post by teaandcoffee
Just worked out a better 5k route... I think.

Going to try it out tomorrow :smile:

Good luck, is it flatter than the last one you had plotted?
It's barely rained here in about 4 weeks. As soon as I open the door to head out for my run tonight - the heavens opened. Feck sake. :frown: Still slogged my way through 5 miles, but it was miserable and cold.
Reply 2315
Hi everyone,
I've got abit of a peculiar problem with running recently, so I thought I should ask it here.
I've ran a number of times before (on treadmill & outside) till I went to uni. I've been at uni for the past two years, and have never really done running as such. I took up weight training & played football twice a week + badminton twice a week, so didn't really have time to incorporate any running anywhere. Since January I've quit both the sports, and so I thought I'd take up running again. I ran 45min on the pavement and it was perfectly fine. The next time I ran on the treadmill in the gym and I had to stop after 15 minutes because there was an unbearable pain in my calves..
I thought it must be something to do with stretching, or even the treadmill in question. But I'm having this repeated problem on the treadmill in the gym at university and the one back home - and I never have the problem running outside!
Any ideas why this is happening/anyone had a similar experience?
Original post by TI-84

Original post by TI-84
Hi everyone,
I've got abit of a peculiar problem with running recently, so I thought I should ask it here.
I've ran a number of times before (on treadmill & outside) till I went to uni. I've been at uni for the past two years, and have never really done running as such. I took up weight training & played football twice a week + badminton twice a week, so didn't really have time to incorporate any running anywhere. Since January I've quit both the sports, and so I thought I'd take up running again. I ran 45min on the pavement and it was perfectly fine. The next time I ran on the treadmill in the gym and I had to stop after 15 minutes because there was an unbearable pain in my calves..
I thought it must be something to do with stretching, or even the treadmill in question. But I'm having this repeated problem on the treadmill in the gym at university and the one back home - and I never have the problem running outside!
Any ideas why this is happening/anyone had a similar experience?

I was having this but going at a faster pace seemed to work?
Reply 2317
I was having this but going at a faster pace seemed to work?

Well, I was on 10k/hr for about 7/8min before it kicked in. I just thought I was being abit silly, and it'd go away but after 15mins it just hurts too much on a treadmill.
I've mostly stuck to pavement's though, but would like to get on a treadmill without looking like an idiot who stops after 15min :tongue:
Original post by TI-84

Original post by TI-84
Well, I was on 10k/hr for about 7/8min before it kicked in. I just thought I was being abit silly, and it'd go away but after 15mins it just hurts too much on a treadmill.
I've mostly stuck to pavement's though, but would like to get on a treadmill without looking like an idiot who stops after 15min :tongue:

Might just be that your body's used to running outdoors? I dunno as I can barely jog outdoors! Might just have been an off day/week?
Reply 2319
Might just be that your body's used to running outdoors? I dunno as I can barely jog outdoors! Might just have been an off day/week?

I dunno..I've tried it multiple times and on multiple treadmills :s-smilie:
A quick google search points to running styles, but I've never had the issue previously, and I doubt my style's changed.