The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

OP has no friends and likes to vent his anger out on tsr.
I negged you and I do Economics and Econometrics.
Your clearly retarded since you think History is more useless than football studies or golf management.
Original post by chickenonsteroids
haha a history degree isn't worthless

I'd have to say women studies ... I know you should go to university with a passion too but come on.... women studies... really?

www.londonmet.ac.uk/depts/fssh/humanities-arts-languages/ug/womens-studies.cfm

You mean cookery? :colone:
Reply 42
You're a bit of a ****, aren't you OP? No degree is inherently useless - whilst medicine might be better in getting a job than media studies, learning should always be encouraged. If someone enjoys their degree, and gets something out of it, it's very useful indeed.

And I don't study history.
Your argument is completely flawed. Yes, you could teach yourself History, but that is the same for any subject you could study at university. I could go and get textbooks on Biology and go and get my knowledge up to scratch with people whom are actually taking the degree - but I wouldn't want to, why would I want to learn about a subject that I have no interest in? You go to University to study a subject that you enjoy - If everyone was to do 'useful' degrees as you 'claim' then University would be an extremely boring place, not to mention how ridiculous the competition would be, in and out of the academic world.
Reply 44
Original post by Muscovite
Haha so which universities rejected you to study history? The massive chip on your shoulder is clearly caused by something :rolleyes:
Either you were rejected by a history course or you're massively sexually frustrated so take it out on the internet in the form of a diatribe that few will read and fewer will care about

None. I find the degree worthless therefore I'd never apply to study it.

Irrelevance and hypocrisy are two things you excel in.
I really enjoyed history and English at school and continue to have an interest in them, but there's a reason I didn't choose to study either subject at uni.
Reply 46
Original post by Zangoose
None. I find the degree worthless therefore I'd never apply to study it.

Irrelevance and hypocrisy are two things you excel in.

I don't believe you.
Haha I know right
Original post by lizzybobzehorse
I'm not even a History student but History teaches analytical skills, how to write to a high standard, how to set out, begin and conclude an argument succinctly and other skills that I would probably remember if it wasn't 2.30! Plus it's fascinating. Sure, History isn't going to mean you're guaranteed a job, but few degrees do nowadays. The skills history students have are valuable, perhaps not in things like engineering (though I may be wrong as I know nooothing!) but in any sort of job where you may have to make applications for money, put forward a presentation for a new project or something similar, what you learn as a history student is definitely useful.

Exactly! Remembering "facts" is what you do at GCSE perhaps, but evidence is used to put across opinions in a logical, structured way. Analytical skills are used in everyday life. Besides, no degree is really worthless if the subject interests people.
For me, it has to be History without a doubt... Without travelling far and wide to pointlessly study it in university, all you'd really need to do is:

Write essays - I have a pen and paper, and a laptop to type documents
Read books - I'll get those from my local library which is a 5 minute bus journey. If I need extra books, I'll go on Ebay or Amazon
Field trips - Visit a few places related to whatever you're studying

These are all things you can do in your local town without spending a few grand on tuition fees. In an academic sense, why spend years in university accumulating vast amounts of student debt which you'll never pay back because there's no hope of getting a decent job with that degree?
I could get a Ph.D level of knowledge in the Crusades by sitting in my living room/study/bedroom and reading copious amounts of material related to the topic over a few years.
History is a subject for the rich, pompous, middle-class scholars who didn't know what to do with their hefty parental allowance so they blew it all on pointless tuition fees for that pointless degree.
People studying History generally have nothing better to do than to loaf around sipping tea, nibbling crumpets and having senseless arguments about the most pointless and outdated events which have long since been swept under the rug by anyone with an ounce of common sense.

Guy with common sense: Hi, what are you studying?
History student: History, you?
Guy with common sense: Psh... History? Well then, let's hope you're not living in a skip by the time you find out who killed the Princes in the Tower

Edit: (Negged by butt-hurt History students who can't face the truth)

I got negged a gazillion time for highlighting something similiar.

My post- http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=32847848#post32847848

post2
Reply 49
Original post by Prepare-Yourself
OP has no friends and likes to vent his anger out on tsr.
I negged you and I do Economics and Econometrics.
Your clearly retarded since you think History is more useless than football studies or golf management.

Okay?

YOU'RE clearly retarded if you can't tell the difference between your & you're. Those are rudimentary English skills your average 10 year old can comprehend.

Original post by charlie9872
Your argument is completely flawed. Yes, you could teach yourself History, but that is the same for any subject you could study at university. I could go and get textbooks on Biology and go and get my knowledge up to scratch with people whom are actually taking the degree - but I wouldn't want to, why would I want to learn about a subject that I have no interest in? You go to University to study a subject that you enjoy - If everyone was to do 'useful' degrees as you 'claim' then University would be an extremely boring place, not to mention how ridiculous the competition would be, in and out of the academic world.

Flawed? I think not. And trust me my son, I'm in the field of applied science and unless you have a lab in your basement, I don't think you'll cover a lot of crucial areas a Biology degree entails. Comparing History with Biology is the real flaw kiddo.
Okay?

YOU'RE clearly retarded if you can't tell the difference between your & you're. Those are rudimentary English skills your average 10 year old can comprehend.

Flawed? I think not. And trust me my son, I'm in the field of applied science and unless you have a lab in your basement, I don't think you'll cover a lot of crucial areas a Biology degree entails. Comparing History with Biology is the real flaw kiddo.

Stop being so patronising. When half of your post comprises correcting someone's grammar, it implies that you don't have any particularly valid arguments rebutting theirs. History isn't a useless degree; it's only by awareness of the mistakes of the past that any hope can be entertained of rectifying our situation in the future. A History degree is conducive to a large number of jobs that perhaps couldn't be obtained without that degree; a degree is only less valid when you can only get jobs that you could've got anyway without that degree.
Wow, what a thinly veiled dig at History students/arts degrees.

History is respected by the way; it has always played an integral role in a solid education. Neither is it useless in gaining employment. It is a favourable degree for would-be solicitors to read for.
Reply 52
Original post by Killuminati1989
Geology/Geography

Would you like to explain yourself there? Geology is not useless. From that you can learn a lot about mineral resources. I've been told that there is a massive call for geologists by people wanting to find more natural resources. We are getting through them at a rate that will mean that will run out when there is still a large demand. And geography as well. It tells us a lot about the planet. For example it helps us to work out things like coastal management which is needed due to erosion. It helps to combat climate change. It tries to come up with solutions for the problems about overpopulation. It also looks at resource management. We need these skills to cope with the growing problems.

So why do you think they are useless?
For me personally? Probably politics. I'm not interested in it at all, nor do I want to do anything in life related to it. So it'd be pretty useless to me. Other people however would love doing it, so it's quite subjective.
I don't especially understand the point of an Acting degree. I mean, you might go to RADA etc. just to get the name on your CV, but otherwise is there much of a reason to study it?
For me, it has to be History without a doubt... Without travelling far and wide to pointlessly study it in university, all you'd really need to do is:

I'm not a history student, I'm a third year medic. But I can think of far more useless degrees tbh :dontknow:

However I will not say what they are as I refuse to conform to the stereotype of "arrogant medical student"
Reply 56
If i'm honest no degree is useless since otherwise the university/college wouldn't offer it. However I do feel some are more useless then others. Although a Physics degree would be very hard to attain and sure, it shows you're intellegent, it doesn't however have massivly wide career prospects. If you were to go on a basis like this then I would have to say History of Art since it's offered by a considerable number of unis. Ok the world needs art musuem curators...but how many!
Reply 57
Original post by KingMessi
Stop being so patronising. When half of your post comprises correcting someone's grammar, it implies that you don't have any particularly valid arguments rebutting theirs. History isn't a useless degree; it's only by awareness of the mistakes of the past that any hope can be entertained of rectifying our situation in the future. A History degree is conducive to a large number of jobs that perhaps couldn't be obtained without that degree; a degree is only less valid when you can only get jobs that you could've got anyway without that degree.

When half of their post comprises of ad hominem comments relating to how many friends I have and how I'm supposedly retarded, what does that say about them?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by kat2pult
Can you do a stained glass window? Do you know how to cut the glass, put the pieces together safely and securely? Create patterns and designs using the right colours and inks/paints? Do you know about what time period each stained glass comes from? Thought not. As I said earlier, every degree has a use.

Although I agree that you have a point, surely Stained Glass Studies should be a module for a degree that involves design or maybe it should be just some other course that is offered more as an activity to occupy your spare time?
Reply 59
Original post by The_Male_Melons
I got negged a gazillion time for highlighting something similiar.

My post- http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=32847848#post32847848

post2

I read your post bro; quite compelling.
People these days just go to university to fart around and get pissed in the SU bar. What is the end result?

A useless excuse for a degree that warrants unnecessary smugness.
(edited 12 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending