Leeds Medical School Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1000
Original post by b-beauty
any grads heard anything yet?

Nope :frown:
Reply 1001
Original post by GabbiWS
not sure, my friend had an interview there last year and she said it was mainly stuff like how would you make a good doc, but i'm gonna read up on latest news anyway just to be safe :smile:

Just out of interest, when did your friend find out the decision after interview? I can't find anywhere how long they take to let you know after interview
Reply 1002
Original post by Daave92

Original post by Daave92
Just out of interest, when did your friend find out the decision after interview? I can't find anywhere how long they take to let you know after interview

i'm not really sure sorry, she was pretty quiet about it because she had a rejection so didn't tell many people.
as a complete guess i'd say about 3 weeks? but like i said i dont really know
Reply 1003
Original post by b-beauty
any grads heard anything yet?

No :frown:
I wish Leeds would hurry up and make their decision, be it good or bad. This wait is just painful :frown:

Does anyone else keep getting e-mails about their A2L scheme? Or about scholarships?
well I called them! they said the same thing, they are taking full advantage of the time UCAS has given them and will be interviewing late Feb and March and dont give up hope.... So back to pressing the refresh button or getting excited everytime I get a media / finace alert.
Reply 1006
Original post by Mish Bish
well I called them! they said the same thing, they are taking full advantage of the time UCAS has given them and will be interviewing late Feb and March and dont give up hope.... So back to pressing the refresh button or getting excited everytime I get a media / finace alert.

Sigh I wonder when they will contact internationals :frown: If they havent even finished home interviews yet, us internationals are pretty screwed. Although no interview for us so I was expecting an earlier response.
Original post by .eXe
Sigh I wonder when they will contact internationals :frown: If they havent even finished home interviews yet, us internationals are pretty screwed. Although no interview for us so I was expecting an earlier response.

honestly no idea.... when I called them the woman on admissions said overnight they had had over 200 emails from students and they are really overwhelmed.

She also said they were short staffed / people on holiday etc! I almost volunteered helping out just to make sure they responded quicker....

No news is still good news! :smile:
I was just wandering if people have had e-mails from leeds that aren't interview related because I haven't and don't know whether to contact them to check they have my correct e-mail address, any thoughts? Thanks
Original post by jonnywalsh
I was just wandering if people have had e-mails from leeds that aren't interview related because I haven't and don't know whether to contact them to check they have my correct e-mail address, any thoughts? Thanks

When you look at UCAS track, you can have a look at your details (like your e-mail address and mobile no. etc). The information you see there is the info they have too.
Reply 1010
Original post by Mish Bish
honestly no idea.... when I called them the woman on admissions said overnight they had had over 200 emails from students and they are really overwhelmed.

She also said they were short staffed / people on holiday etc! I almost volunteered helping out just to make sure they responded quicker....

No news is still good news! :smile:

Yeah I guess so, although I cant help but feel a little bit of anger towards them.

I mean, it's not like this is something new. They do this same drill every year. They know the types of numbers to expect. But it seems all other schools are doing fine, while this one university is overwhelmed. To me this looks like a serious time and resource management issue. People shouldnt be going on holidays in the middle of offer season. And being understaffed is a poor excuse too because these schools demand a lot of money for the courses they supply and to say that they are understaffed in one of their busiest times of the year...is a pretty sad thing.

I really hope they get their act together because if this continues, theyll find that some of the brighter students will go ahead and take their other offers instead of waiting for an interview in April. Kind of sad really for a university of such repute to be making excuses. Hopefully they can rectify their issues soon.

Thanks for posting!

Edit: Whoever negged, it's fine but at least post why you think my opinion is wrong
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by .eXe
Yeah I guess so, although I cant help but feel a little bit of anger towards them.

I mean, it's not like this is something new. They do this same drill every year. They know the types of numbers to expect. But it seems all other schools are doing fine, while this one university is overwhelmed. To me this looks like a serious time and resource management issue. People shouldnt be going on holidays in the middle of offer season. And being understaffed is a poor excuse too because these schools demand a lot of money for the courses they supply and to say that they are understaffed in one of their busiest times of the year...is a pretty sad thing.

I really hope they get their act together because if this continues, theyll find that some of the brighter students will go ahead and take their other offers instead of waiting for an interview in April. Kind of sad really for a university of such repute to be making excuses. Hopefully they can rectify their issues soon.

Thanks for posting!

Edit: Whoever negged, it's fine but at least post why you think my opinion is wrong

Honestly, I think that's why they're delaying it all so long - just so the lazy buggers have less crap to do :rant:

Spoiler

Reply 1012
Original post by thegodofgod
Honestly, I think that's why they're delaying it all so long - just so the lazy buggers have less crap to do :rant:

Spoiler

Lol yeah, its funny how defensive people get when I rip a little on a school. They don't realize that this is the same school which may reject them without a care.
Reply 1013
Original post by .eXe
Lol yeah, its funny how defensive people get when I rip a little on a school. They don't realize that this is the same school which may reject them without a care.

They would obviously give a care, a lot of time is probably going into analysing each students application making sure they do not disregard students which have potential, and thus the long wait.
Original post by .eXe
... the brighter students ...

I didn't neg you but what do you mean by that?
Reply 1015
Original post by bmnbmn101
I didn't neg you but what do you mean by that?

What I meant was the smart ones won't wait for their last university to get back to them...they'll just take whatever other school has already made them an offer. Maybe I should clarify...by brighter I didn't mean academically brighter but rather logically.

If I had an offer...the smart (or bright) thing to do would be to take that offer instead of waiting god knows how long for a university that might just end up rejecting me.

Hope its clear now.
Reply 1016
Original post by Besakt
They would obviously give a care, a lot of time is probably going into analysing each students application making sure they do not disregard students which have potential, and thus the long wait.

Not every student's application get considered to that level. Imagine doing that for 4000 applications. Many are rejected just by a computer.

For example, at Soton, they have a computer check all academics + ukcat and reject automatically those they deem ineligible. It's only after that point that the remaining ones are considered. So yeah, they definitely reject without a care.

Also, most universities don't even provide good feedback about your rejection. It's understandably difficult for them to do so, but again...they couldn't care less how upset you might be that you were rejected, etc.
Reply 1017
Original post by .eXe
What I meant was the smart ones won't wait for their last university to get back to them...they'll just take whatever other school has already made them an offer. Maybe I should clarify...by brighter I didn't mean academically brighter but rather logically.

If I had an offer...the smart (or bright) thing to do would be to take that offer instead of waiting god knows how long for a university that might just end up rejecting me.

Hope its clear now.

Why would it? If the student wanted to go to Leeds (which they probably would or else they wouldn't have applied), then they would for Leeds to come to a decision. Why would be smart to be impatient and make a decision too quickly without knowing all of your options, unless of course you never really wanted to go to Leeds and just applied to "fill up space on the UCAS form".
Reply 1018
Original post by .eXe
Not every student's application get considered to that level. Imagine doing that for 4000 applications. Many are rejected just by a computer.

For example, at Soton, they have a computer check all academics + ukcat and reject automatically those they deem ineligible. It's only after that point that the remaining ones are considered. So yeah, they definitely reject without a care.

Also, most universities don't even provide good feedback about your rejection. It's understandably difficult for them to do so, but again...they couldn't care less how upset you might be that you were rejected, etc.

Well it would be stupid to apply to a university to which you do not meet the minimum requirements which is just common sense. Of course they couldn't care less about how upset you would be but they wouldn't want to disregard applications too quickly because they may miss a student which they think could strive in their institution. I'm guessing the reason some do not provide feedback is because it would be very impractical for them to do so.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1019
Original post by Besakt
Why would it? If the student wanted to go to Leeds (which they probably would or else they wouldn't have applied), then they would for Leeds to come to a decision. Why would be smart to be impatient and make a decision too quickly without knowing all of your options, unless of course you never really wanted to go to Leeds and just applied to "fill up space on the UCAS form".

Lol the world is so black and white to you isn't it.

Maybe you don't realize that people pick a choice not just to "fill up a space" but rather to maximize their chance of getting an offer

No, that did not occur to you at all did it?

You seem like a glass half empty sort of person.

Quick Reply

Latest