The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3000
Original post by JoeFo
Does anyone do 5?

yes but it's better to get higher grades in 4. it's only worth doing 5 if you are extremely smart or you don't know which subjects you want to pick.
Original post by Konflict
Hello, I plan to study medicine. I have chosen bio, chem, and maths, and am currently considering English Literature. I want to ask how is English Literature? Is it difficult, and what should I expect to learn and what are the skills I will be expected to use? I am undecided whether I should put this down on my final app though.

It depends where you want to go to uni and if you'd stick with Lit to A2, meaning you'd only have 2.5 science a-level, or drop it, giving you 3 . . .
Original post by Konflict
Hello, I plan to study medicine. I have chosen bio, chem, and maths, and am currently considering English Literature. I want to ask how is English Literature? Is it difficult, and what should I expect to learn and what are the skills I will be expected to use? I am undecided whether I should put this down on my final app though.

EngLit is a great choice for medical applicants. The "is it hard" question doesn't really have an answer, how well you will do will be strongly indicated by your GCSE prediction/ grade.

EngLit doesn't require as much mandatory work as History or Geography (there is much less remembering essays and facts), but will demand quite a bit of your attention. It goes into more depth than GCSE, and you will be asked to do a lot more comparisons between texts and extracts, you will also need to set each text in its context (geographically and historically) and use other criticisms to improve your responses.

Basically; if you enjoy reading, books and analysis, then it's definitely for you. But EngLit A level is very similar to the GCSE, so that should give you a good indication.
I am torn between Physics and French for my 4th AS level. I am naturally okay at French, I have put hardly any work in what so ever at GCSE, and I will get an A. I also really hate French, I hate learning tenses and remembering controlled assessments. I have always found physics hard, but I sort of enjoy it. I got 2 B's in my first two modules and then I got an A* in my coursework, so I resat one module and got an A. So now I am hoping to get an A maybe A overall all the coursework is worth a third.

At the moment I have chosen Physics, does this seem like the right choice. Am really stuck for the 4th choice as I really don't enjoy anything other than biology.
Reply 3004
Original post by ChildOfShakespeare
I am torn between Physics and French for my 4th AS level. I am naturally okay at French, I have put hardly any work in what so ever at GCSE, and I will get an A. I also really hate French, I hate learning tenses and remembering controlled assessments. I have always found physics hard, but I sort of enjoy it. I got 2 B's in my first two modules and then I got an A* in my coursework, so I resat one module and got an A. So now I am hoping to get an A maybe A overall all the coursework is worth a third.

At the moment I have chosen Physics, does this seem like the right choice. Am really stuck for the 4th choice as I really don't enjoy anything other than biology.

I guess if you have a career in mind that would help push in a certain direction, I guess if you enjoy physics then the best idea would be to take that, however.
I'm pretty much 100% sure I want to study History and was decided on English Literature, Politics, Philosophy and History.

However, i've later decided on a 5th AS level which is World Development (a bit like Geography) and since my latest GCSE results i'm considering Sociology instead of English Literature. I'm aiming for a competitive university, such as Durham and LSE, and i'm unsure whether Sociology would put me as a disadvantage.

I'm currently attaining a B/B+ in English Literature GCSE and I know that A-Level is a huge step up and i'm concerned in case I wouldn't achieve an A in A-Level, whereas I believe I would in Sociology. Also, if I took English Literature I probably wouldn't take World Development due to the amount of workload I know English Literature comes with.

What's more important - having "strong" A-Levels such as English Lit or more UCAS points/better grades? Any help/advice would be appriciated :biggrin:
Reply 3006
Original post by rachaelbolton
I'm pretty much 100% sure I want to study History and was decided on English Literature, Politics, Philosophy and History.

However, i've later decided on a 5th AS level which is World Development (a bit like Geography) and since my latest GCSE results i'm considering Sociology instead of English Literature. I'm aiming for a competitive university, such as Durham and LSE, and i'm unsure whether Sociology would put me as a disadvantage.

I'm currently attaining a B/B+ in English Literature GCSE and I know that A-Level is a huge step up and i'm concerned in case I wouldn't achieve an A in A-Level, whereas I believe I would in Sociology. Also, if I took English Literature I probably wouldn't take World Development due to the amount of workload I know English Literature comes with.

What's more important - having "strong" A-Levels such as English Lit or more UCAS points/better grades? Any help/advice would be appriciated :biggrin:

having 5 alevels isn't really a benefit, don't forget how hard a levels are. so i would go with first option: eng lit, pol, phil and history. but if you don't get a b in eng lit, i wouldn't take sociology or world development are there any other subjects that you are good at?
Reply 3007

what are your other subjects? physics allows you to get on more uni courses but for courses that don't require any of them french would be better. so take what you think you will do best in. both subjects are strong.
Original post by non
having 5 alevels isn't really a benefit, don't forget how hard a levels are. so i would go with first option: eng lit, pol, phil and history. but if you don't get a b in eng lit, i wouldn't take sociology or world development are there any other subjects that you are good at?

It's the option blocks that are the problem. The English Literature and Sociology block is the one with subjects like P.E. in :frown:
Reply 3009
It's the option blocks that are the problem. The English Literature and Sociology block is the one with subjects like P.E. in :frown:

ok still only take 4, work hard in eng lit try and get a b if not take sociology and not world development as a fifth option.
Can someone help me please? At the moment I am fairly certain I want to do either Maths, Actuarial Science or Economics at a top university. I am choosing A-Levels and I will have had an AS Level in ICT by time I start sixth form, but I have decided to drop it, since it is considered a soft subject. However, just this Thursday when I got my results I got a* in all three sciences but also an A in the first unit of ICT (it is 50% of total AS) and I got an A (100 UMS)!

I have decided, therefore to take:
Maths
Further Maths
Physics

But now I am unsure as to my fourth option. I decided to do Chemistry on my preliminary option sheet, yet I am torn between that and German. I got 100% in my chemistry exam ad coursework, but I also have 100% in all my german courseworks, finding them both quite easy. I am good at German; my teacher has given me extra work and I know most of the grammar structures at AS Level and can apply them with ease.

So for my choice of study in maths, would you recommend German or Chemistry or even continue ICT to A2, bearing in mind I am taking 3 maths based subjects anyway?
Reply 3011
Original post by GreenLantern1
Can someone help me please? At the moment I am fairly certain I want to do either Maths, Actuarial Science or Economics at a top university. I am choosing A-Levels and I will have had an AS Level in ICT by time I start sixth form, but I have decided to drop it, since it is considered a soft subject. However, just this Thursday when I got my results I got a* in all three sciences but also an A in the first unit of ICT (it is 50% of total AS) and I got an A (100 UMS)!

I have decided, therefore to take:
Maths
Further Maths
Physics

But now I am unsure as to my fourth option. I decided to do Chemistry on my preliminary option sheet, yet I am torn between that and German. I got 100% in my chemistry exam ad coursework, but I also have 100% in all my german courseworks, finding them both quite easy. I am good at German; my teacher has given me extra work and I know most of the grammar structures at AS Level and can apply them with ease.

So for my choice of study in maths, would you recommend German or Chemistry or even continue ICT to A2, bearing in mind I am taking 3 maths based subjects anyway?

i would take german, if your course that you want to do doesn't need german or chemistry and it doesn't. then i would take the language. you may be able to have a year to study abroad in germany as well. but only some unis allow this. languages are the most respected subjects for unis apart from required subjects of course. also it shows unis that you are good at lots of different types of subjects, not just the sciences.
Original post by non
what are your other subjects? physics allows you to get on more uni courses but for courses that don't require any of them french would be better. so take what you think you will do best in. both subjects are strong.

maths, chem, bio
Reply 3013
maths, chem, bio

It depends if you may want to medicine, dentistry, physics, engineering pick physics. If you aren't sure pick physics. If it's none of those options pick French. Or pick the subject that you enjoy the most and will do best in because doing well in the subject is very important.
Hey guys, i really hope you can give me some help on my situation! I've been going back and forth in my head about what subjects to choose for a level. I want to ultimately study English at university and I don't know which subjects will make me seem well-rounded or a strong applicant, etc. :frown:
I'm on course to get quite good results at gcse and I'm in a state of option paralysis! I'm most likely going to get
English lit A*
English language A*
Biology A
chemistry A
Physics A*
core science A
Music A/A*
maths A
Rs A*
statistics B
French B/A
History A
Art and ict-no chance of passing:frown:
I told the school my choices were English lit, Music, History and Physics so far but I'm on the fence about whether Philosophy and ethics or Maths would be a better alternative to music or history:/ Please help! :frown:
Reply 3015
Original post by Spencer1995
Hey guys, i really hope you can give me some help on my situation! I've been going back and forth in my head about what subjects to choose for a level. I want to ultimately study English at university and I don't know which subjects will make me seem well-rounded or a strong applicant, etc. :frown:
I'm on course to get quite good results at gcse and I'm in a state of option paralysis! I'm most likely going to get
English lit A*
English language A*
Biology A
chemistry A
Physics A*
core science A
Music A/A*
maths A
Rs A*
statistics B
French B/A
History A
Art and ict-no chance of passing:frown:
I told the school my choices were English lit, Music, History and Physics so far but I'm on the fence about whether Philosophy and ethics or Maths would be a better alternative to music or history:/ Please help! :frown:

if you are aiming for top unis i would pick any subjects from: eng lit, the sciences, maths, RS, french and history. music isn't a great subject unless you want to do music at uni or not even go to uni. don't forget it would be great to have a mix of essay based subjects (RS, french and history) with a mix of the sciences and maths. pick subjects that you think that you will do well in! so don't pick subjects like french because that is one of your weakest subjects. by just going with your predictions you could pick eng lit, RS or history, Maths and finally one of the other sciences. you don't have to go with what i have just written, they are just guidelines. i wouldn't recommend picking physics without maths. so if you had to pick out of them i would pick maths.

Sociology is weaker than English and it will disadvantage you at top unis. However, History/ philosophy/ Politics and Sociology A levels would be fine, because although sociology is weak, the other subjects make up for it.

I would suggest you don't do A level English Literature unless you're an A student at GCSE, however this is not always the case, because A level is quite different and the new parts may suit you. Getting your teacher's opinion on EngLit for A level would help. Try your best to get the best grade you can for GCSE though. It's a tough decision, I would say do what you enjoy more between A level EngLit and Sociology. If you really enjoy one and you know you will work hard at it, then go for that subject.
Reply 3017
I really like studying history, but GCSE History has made me drop it for A level due to poor results. I have two Ds in the Nazi and Impact papers but 90% on the CA. I really want to study it at A level but I feel like I'll get another bad grade. What shall I do?
Reply 3018
Original post by GrantG
I really like studying history, but GCSE History has made me drop it for A level due to poor results. I have two Ds in the Nazi and Impact papers but 90% on the CA. I really want to study it at A level but I feel like I'll get another bad grade. What shall I do?

what year are you in? if its 11 if your sixth form college allows it retake GCSE during year 12. but i don't think you are cut out for academic history, getting Ds is really bad! just pick other subjects you like but read about history outside of school. trust me if you study history you will dis like it more than if you were reading about it at home.

Sociology vs literature is definitely a disadvantage. My advice is not to do a fifth subject, you'll make your life hell :tongue:

Latest