The Student Room Group

Woman beaten to death in America for wearing a hijab

(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Absolutely disgusting. Hope they get caught! feel for the children
Reply 2

This is absolutely disgusting :'(

yet no one bothers to give it a larger media coverage, this is such an important piece of news which highlights the increasing violence and hate towards Muslims yet no one is looking to speak out about it :mad:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
It's ignorance with breeds fear and suspicion basically. People can be aggressive to what they do not understand. I guess especially in America, there are probably a fair few who have extremely bias information given to them about Islam from the likes of Fox News and so end up believing all signs of stricter Islam (wearing the niqab) show people they should be afraid of and stop before they attack them.

People really need education. Though clearly saying that even if someone does harbour hateful thoughts against a religion, it's no excuse to act on them. I hope they catch whoever did this and they are given a severe punishment to set an example to anyone else who thinks as they do.
Reply 4
This is really sad :frown: America is supposed to be one of the more tolerant countries of the world
Reply 5
No one cares its white people that did it so its not gonna sell well...its muslims people want to read about nowadays..
Don't think she wore a niqab.
Reply 7
Aw so sad. :frown:
Reply 8
It's a sad moment when a woman who was minding her own business is killed, in cold blood, for wearing a headscarf. The killers are obtuse reprobates- No better than terrorists.

Poor woman, thoughts out to her.
Reply 9
Original post by Nightufury
No one cares its white people that did it so its not gonna sell well...its muslims people want to read about nowadays..

Supppose to mean what exactly?
Ofc this hasn't made a headline on any official news channels. *sigh*
Disgusting.
^most of the post above are from muslims :lol:
nice to see you all get in the band-wagon when it's someone muslim being attacked, that news story was on an american website it seems like OP hit gold with this article. Your no better then the 'sex gang muslim' threads, your equally as narrow-minded and deluded :redface:

Dude, it looks like she was hearing a Hijab..I would change the title to reflect that if I were you
Original post by joey11223
It's ignorance with breeds fear and suspicion basically. People can be aggressive to what they do not understand. I guess especially in America, there are probably a fair few who have extremely bias information given to them about Islam from the likes of Fox News and so end up believing all signs of stricter Islam (wearing the niqab) show people they should be afraid of and stop before they attack them.

People really need education. Though clearly saying that even if someone does harbour hateful thoughts against a religion, it's no excuse to act on them. I hope they catch whoever did this and they are given a severe punishment to set an example to anyone else who thinks as they do.

Totally agree. However, it works both ways. I can't help wondering whether any education has been done about the necessity of wearing niqabs and the like. Most religions don't require specific garments because they're all about what's going on in the head and the heart. If Islam is about what's going on in the wardrobe, it's not much of a religion.

To put it another way, God knows how I feel whatever I'm wearing, He certainly doesn't want me to wear something that's going to cause tension. If Allah can only be with Moslems when they're wearing the right clothes, that's a pretty weak relationship and not one worth pursuing. If Allah doesn't need their uniform, why are they so insistent on it?

Moslems should certainly have the right to wear niqabs but they (male and female) need to have a better understanding of the damage they can cause by enforcing that right and should be better educated about the fact that not enforcing that right doesn't make them a bad person.
Reply 14
Original post by kingsholmmad

Moslems should certainly have the right to wear niqabs but they (male and female) need to have a better understanding of the damage they can cause by enforcing that right and should be better educated about the fact that not enforcing that right doesn't make them a bad person.

Wait a minute. The damage they cause? Victim blaming much? :eek:
Original post by HindaWarda
Supppose to mean what exactly?

I think it is quite obvious. Typical bias as evidenced by the coverage of such a story.
Original post by kingsholmmad
Totally agree. However, it works both ways. I can't help wondering whether any education has been done about the necessity of wearing niqabs and the like. Most religions don't require specific garments because they're all about what's going on in the head and the heart. If Islam is about what's going on in the wardrobe, it's not much of a religion.

To put it another way, God knows how I feel whatever I'm wearing, He certainly doesn't want me to wear something that's going to cause tension. If Allah can only be with Moslems when they're wearing the right clothes, that's a pretty weak relationship and not one worth pursuing. If Allah doesn't need their uniform, why are they so insistent on it?

That is a good point. I think often the niqab* can be quite intimidating to people to be honest, occasionally we'll have a group of women come in with them on and people do look. I suppose it's unnerving as you can't see their face at all and with some of them, you can't even see their eyes because the slit has netting over it. It alienates them from society completely. You don't know if you should engage in conversation or not? Saying that I have never heard them speak in English, so I'm not sure the ones who shop at our store even could hold a conversation.

I think the standard headscarf is a much better compromise. People are fine with a women just covering her head but showing her face. It seems unnecessary to wear these black robes with totally cover you and make you stand out against the society of the country you have moved to. It isn't difficult to wear a dark long sleeve top, with another layer over that, say a jumper. Then a long loose skirt which goes right down to the ankles, then a headscarf. That makes them fit with people around much more easily but still allows them to cover up, if that's what their faith teaches they must do. I'm pretty certain it asks them to dress modestly, which can be done easily with normal clothing. I'm pretty sure covering the whole face is not necessary and so just the headscarf should be fine.

* For anyone in the know, can anyone clear up which term means what?

Are niqab and burka the same thing? When I google them I get the same images of women in black robes and their face covered, though the burka seems to show more images of even the eyes covered by mesh. Is their a term for just wearing a headscarf which does not cover the whole face?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Iqbal007
This is absolutely disgusting :'(

yet no one bothers to give it a larger media coverage, this is such an important piece of news which highlights the increasing violence and hate towards Muslims yet no one is looking to speak out about it :mad:

It's on CNN.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by ShredMaster
I think it is quite obvious. Typical bias as evidenced by the coverage of such a story.

It wouldn't get much coverage over here, it happened in america. It might have some coverage from the local news in california possibly. Approximately 50 people are murdered everyday in america... (and get no media coverage)
Original post by translucent
It wouldn't get much coverage over here, it happened in america. It might have some coverage from the local news in california possibly. Approximately 50 people are murdered everyday in america... (and get no media coverage)

True. I retract my previous statement. I was quite annoyed.

Quick Reply