6 CATS Year Two Modules

I'm currently registered for the following 6-CATS credit modules:

Variational Principles
Maths Biology
Intro to Business
Number Theory

But I need to drop one.
So any advice which? :smile:

(I'm currently thinking maths biology because likely to score the lowest on, but would be a shame since I've already worked quite a bit for it, so maybe drop business instead, even though it's easier).
Original post by placenta medicae talpae

Variational Principles
Maths Biology
Intro to Business
Number Theory

But I need to drop one.

(I'm currently thinking maths biology because likely to score the lowest on, but would be a shame since I've already worked quite a bit for it, so maybe drop business instead, even though it's easier).

I heard Math Bio was horrifically easy last year. But Hugo's on sabbatical this year right?

Math Bio isn't really necessary for later Math Bio modules, however. Number Theory is perhaps a bit more useful for later NT.

Have no idea about Intro to Business or a great deal about Variational.

I did none of these modules anyway :p:
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Original post by TheTallOne
I heard Math Bio was horrifically easy last year. But Hugo's on sabbatical this year right?

Math Bio isn't really necessary for later Math Bio modules, however. Number Theory is perhaps a bit more useful for later NT.

Have no idea about Intro to Business or a great deal about Variational.

I did none of these modules anyway :p:

Haha, thanks anyway.

Yep, he's not teaching us, and the course is pretty different -- or at least it seems nothing like his book (which I bothered to read over the summer as preparation -- waste of time :rant: jokes)

I'm a MORSE student, btw, so I think maths biology is probably more useful for us than number theory, because we're just cool like that :cool:

Btw, are you doing an economics lecture again this year? :awesome:
Btw, are you doing an economics lecture again this year? :awesome:

IQE definitely.

Not sure about Maths Econ. I'm (EDIT: Taking the module) doing it this year...

Will try make it less weird.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by TheTallOne
IQE definitely.

Not sure about Maths Econ. I'm doing it this year...

Will try make it less weird.

Cool, I might go again!
Learned quite a lot from it last year, but forgotten pretty much all of it since then.

Variational Principles
Maths Biology
Intro to Business
Number Theory

But I need to drop one.

Drop one of number theory, or intro to business. Variational principles and math bio are both interesting courses, and its quite easy to get high marks in the exam (variational principles exams have the same questions EVERY SINGLE YEAR), and as was said, 50% of the marks from math bio last year were for drawing five simple phase diagrams.

I did number theory in first year, and did horrifically because there are no lectures and I didn't have the self-discipline to go through the material myself!

As a MORSE student you should probably do introduction to business, you'll probably find it common sense. The lectures are pointless, though- last year they put everything online and they didn't really teach much theory in the lectures. Multiple choice exam might sound easy, but its one of those where you get negative marks for incorrect answers.
Original post by Lady Justice
Drop one of number theory, or intro to business. Variational principles and math bio are both interesting courses, and its quite easy to get high marks in the exam (variational principles exams have the same questions EVERY SINGLE YEAR), and as was said, 50% of the marks from math bio last year were for drawing five simple phase diagrams.

I did number theory in first year, and did horrifically because there are no lectures and I didn't have the self-discipline to go through the material myself!

As a MORSE student you should probably do introduction to business, you'll probably find it common sense. The lectures are pointless, though- last year they put everything online and they didn't really teach much theory in the lectures. Multiple choice exam might sound easy, but its one of those where you get negative marks for incorrect answers.

Thanks a lot for this!

For varprincp, do you mean ... exactly the same questions? :shock:
Just about to print Oleg's notes for it from a few years ago, and from them it looks like you still have to put in a bit of work.

As it happens, I did the IFS's CeFS and DipFS (silly financial diploma-things) and they were mostly multiple choice.
They weren't even that hard, but the multiple choice nature does make it harder to pick up marks.
So yep, sounds pretty similar.
Thanks a lot for this!

For varprincp, do you mean ... exactly the same questions? :shock:
Just about to print Oleg's notes for it from a few years ago, and from them it looks like you still have to put in a bit of work.

As it happens, I did the IFS's CeFS and DipFS (silly financial diploma-things) and they were mostly multiple choice.
They weren't even that hard, but the multiple choice nature does make it harder to pick up marks.
So yep, sounds pretty similar.

I mean EXACTLY the same questions, on rotation. Just look at the past papers and you will see...
Original post by Lady Justice
I mean EXACTLY the same questions, on rotation. Just look at the past papers and you will see...

Looks like you're completely right!
Quite funny/good/lazy :awesome:

Quick Reply