The Student Room Group

Comparisons of Artificial and Natural selections

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The Illuminati

In artificial selection, in terms of the product the best genotype would be homozygote as you can breed the homozygotes together so that ALL the offspring will be homozygous for the trait you want.

crossing my fingers that is as clear typed out as it sounds in my head:crossedf:

Because the organisms are more closely related, their genomes are very similar and they have similar allele combinations.

So that makes them homozygous!!? their genes are similar? well it should be the same cause we are talking about the same species.
sorry still couldn't see the link between inbreeding and homozygousy :colondollar: not your fault
In outbreeding the organisms are not that closely related, so the allele frequency will be more varied so heterozygoussy occur more frequently than in inbreeding.

so allele frequency of A is 90% and a 10% then I would have thought homozygousy would occur more

In artificial selection, in terms of the product the best genotype would be homozygote as you can breed the homozygotes together so that ALL the offspring will be homozygous for the trait you want.

I get it for artificial :smile:
why nature doesnt want homozygous then?
I'm gonna try again :tongue:
I think I should stress that the small gene pool created by inbreeding eliminates allele combinations completely. Because we are talking about artificial selection then the heerozygous geneotype will definately be removed due to the reasons stated previously.

In natural mating is random. Random mating increases the genetic variety, an increase in genetic variety increases the frequecy of heterozygotes.
Original post by The Illuminati
I'm gonna try again :tongue:

Aww v nice of you

In natural mating is random. Random mating increases the genetic variety, an increase in genetic variety increases the frequecy of heterozygotes.

I get it now!

I think I should stress that the small gene pool created by inbreeding eliminates allele combinations completely. Because we are talking about artificial selection then the heerozygous geneotype will definately be removed due to the reasons stated previously.

couldn't see the link between eliminating allele combination and homozygousy
also couldn't figure out why inbreeding eliminates allele combination
what do you mean by allele combination ??
Original post by arvin_infinity
Aww v nice of you

I get it now!

couldn't see the link between eliminating allele combination and homozygousy
also couldn't figure out why inbreeding eliminates allele combination
what do you mean by allele combination ??

allele combination is my way of saying the genotype :tongue: i just mean whether it's aa, AA, or Aa. Inbreeding can eliminate Aa completely.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending