The Student Room Group

Top 10 gadgets for university

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by 4 Mathlete the win
how much trolling can there be on one thread?

Possibly over 9000?

Number 1 gadget: electric tin opener.
Reply 81
Original post by Pride
I'm not really expecting to be able to afford as many as 10 gadgets when I get to uni. Maybe I'm being pessimistic...

I should think people who can afford them might not actually have ten - the whole point of things like smartphones and tablets is integration, so you tend to have fewer, smarter gadgets. I'm not short of cash but I only have a smartphone and a MacBook, a printer and yes, a tin opener.

My favourite kinds of gadgets are things for the kitchen and for hair - like straighteners.
Reply 82
Original post by BHS12
You have a credit card as a student?! I sure hope you have enough money to pay that off as you go along..

I was given a credit card by my bank in....2006? I just had a normal current account, not a student account, but I don't think it would make a difference if it was a student account. Before then I only had a debit card as well as a credit card on my mother's account (given to me when I first started university in 2004). I had been offered credit cards, even when still doing my A-levels, but declined.

This was pre-credit cruch obviously so absolutely anyone could get a credit card. They even kept upping the credit limit (and still do) despite the fact that I don't have a real income. It's quite ridiculous.

But they are useful to have for buying certain things, particularly online, as you're sometimes given greater protection than if you buy with a debit card. Providing the credit card is used like a debit card, so paid off either immediately or when the statement comes in at the latest, there's nothing wrong with having them. If you're sensible then they have their use.
Reply 83
Original post by River85
I was given a credit card by my bank in....2006? I just had a normal current account, not a student account, but I don't think it would make a difference if it was a student account. Before then I only had a debit card as well as a credit card on my mother's account (given to me when I first started university in 2004). I had been offered credit cards, even when still doing my A-levels, but declined.

This was pre-credit cruch obviously so absolutely anyone could get a credit card. They even kept upping the credit limit (and still do) despite the fact that I don't have a real income. It's quite ridiculous.

But they are useful to have for buying certain things, particularly online, as you're sometimes given greater protection than if you buy with a debit card. Providing the credit card is used like a debit card, so paid off either immediately or when the statement comes in at the latest, there's nothing wrong with having them. If you're sensible then they have their use.

Some hotels abroad will only take credit cards, not debit cards, although that's changing - I've experienced that a couple of times. The credit card I use gives bonus points which can be spent in various stores and also offers extended warranties on some products.
Reply 84
Original post by UnknownPerson
Yeh but thats like saying why buy an iPad when you can buy those unbranded £60 cheap chinese tablets which serve the same purpose ...

Not really, the app store has the most amount of apps available, so having an ipad gives you access to that, which other tablets don't. If a chinese tablet did serve the same purpose however, then I'd definitely get that
Original post by badbabysitter
I suspect because a "Warm winter coat", whilst probably beneficial at university, is not a 'gadget'.

Nah, it'll be the Apple hate.

For me (or at least, what I think I'll need):
1. Desktop (+mouse, keyboard, speakers)
2. Memory stick(s) - I've obtained loads of 1GB and 2GB sticks from my school. And I lose them regularly.
3. Transformer Prime - so I can leave my desktop at uni. I'll be taking notes on it so I can store them electronically, and yeah, I'll admit, it's a toy.
4. Alarm clock - self explanatory.
5. Phone - it's a Nokia C3 at the moment. Used for phoning people, funnily enough.
6. iPod - Classic, not Touch. I like having loads of memory - on this, I've got 160GB. Movies and iTunes U comes in handy here.
7. iPod speakers - my desktop's loud so I won't want it on all the time.
8. Printer - I'll need to get a new one, my sister bought me the one I have at the moment and it costs more to refill it than it does to buy it.
9. Earphones - Sennheiser. Because it'd be pointless having an iPod if I couldn't listen to it out and about. And Beats are overrated.
10. Various memory cards - the Prime only has one USB slot, but loads of card slots. Yay memory!

People saying mini fridges - check with your uni whether you'll be allowed one. Same goes for kettles - unless it's going in the kitchen, you might not be able to use it.
Reply 86
1.) a4 lined paper
2.) pen
3.) vitamin pills
4.) booze

dont waste your money on a mac or ipad. really.

i bought an ipod touch 4g for university, and it works great as a voice recorder for lectures, reading powerpoints when taking notes, and looking up medical definitions and diagrams. its rad
fairy lights and photos to decorate your room with when you arrive - you want to make it feel like home!

oooh! and home made cakes/cookies/chocolates for when you arrive - best way to greet people!

oh! and a door stop - so your door can be kept open when you first arrive - people will come and say hi if your door's open. if it's shut, people won't want to disturb you :smile: x
Reply 88
Fog machine.

In order to make your room look mysterious.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 89
Original post by Contrad!ction.
Nah, it'll be the Apple hate.

For me (or at least, what I think I'll need):
1. Desktop (+mouse, keyboard, speakers)
2. Memory stick(s) - I've obtained loads of 1GB and 2GB sticks from my school. And I lose them regularly.
3. Transformer Prime - so I can leave my desktop at uni. I'll be taking notes on it so I can store them electronically, and yeah, I'll admit, it's a toy.
4. Alarm clock - self explanatory.
5. Phone - it's a Nokia C3 at the moment. Used for phoning people, funnily enough.
6. iPod - Classic, not Touch. I like having loads of memory - on this, I've got 160GB. Movies and iTunes U comes in handy here.
7. iPod speakers - my desktop's loud so I won't want it on all the time.
8. Printer - I'll need to get a new one, my sister bought me the one I have at the moment and it costs more to refill it than it does to buy it.
9. Earphones - Sennheiser. Because it'd be pointless having an iPod if I couldn't listen to it out and about. And Beats are overrated.
10. Various memory cards - the Prime only has one USB slot, but loads of card slots. Yay memory!

People saying mini fridges - check with your uni whether you'll be allowed one. Same goes for kettles - unless it's going in the kitchen, you might not be able to use it.

We weren't allowed mini fridges in our first year Hall.

Is "Apple-hate" a jealousy thing?
Reply 90
Original post by KCosmo
Not really, the app store has the most amount of apps available, so having an ipad gives you access to that, which other tablets don't. If a chinese tablet did serve the same purpose however, then I'd definitely get that

More apps =/= better.

I have an Android phone, and I can't think of an app that I've not been able to get on Android that you can on iOS. I've probably paid less too.
A laptop and phone (nothing fancy) is all you really need. I'm rather a fan of my iTouch, but I'm not sure that I could class it as an absolute necessity.
Original post by KCosmo

Most of them are powered by Android and the Android Market has pretty much all the Apps that Appstore has :smile:... if you wish to purchase one eBay is the best place :smile:
Reply 93
I'm taking my laptop, (android) phone, several USBs, ethernet cable, HDMI cable and headphones. I *might* take a printer and buy something more compact than my laptop (which is WAY too big to be 'portable' =/) like a cheap netbook or tablet, for taking notes.

No alarm clock, because they just don't work with me. Gonna have to rely on my body-clock, unfortunately =/.
Original post by AtomSmasher
This. At least half of people my age completely overlook desktops for some reason, but they are much faster and (in my opinion) easier and more enjoyable to use than a tiny laptop. Assuming you already have a half decent TV to use as a monitor, you can get a better desktop than you could laptop for the same price.

But what about if it turns out its too hard for you to work in your room? You need to have something portable to take to the library ...
Original post by milienhaus
But what about if it turns out its too hard for you to work in your room? You need to have something portable to take to the library ...

Just to clarify, you're taking a portable computer to a building full of computers? :holmes:

But seriously, universities have an off campus application which means you have access to everything you need from your home computer which includes printers, files and e-mail so a desktop is fine.
Reply 96
Original post by viksta1000
according to NatWest, I have exactly -£352.56

loan should be coming in later today though :thumbsup:

It is a bank holiday so will probably be tomorrow!
Reply 97
Laptop
Phone (I have a smart phone but it isn't exactly essential)
Straighteners
Kettle
Printer (essential, you do not want to rely on uni ones)
Alarm clock
Toaster
Blender (I love homemade soup so I use mine every week)
A fan for your bedroom (if it gets too hot it can be horrible in halls)
Reply 98
Most people are saying that one might be needing external hard-drive for storing movies and all that, I was just wondering if i-player is not allowed at uni? Does one really need a tv license to watch shows on i-player?

Thanks!
Original post by viksta1000

1 good laptop

2 reasonably large memory sticks (4-8GB)

1 external hard drive - to store the masses of movies/tv shows you'll watch in your spare time

1 pair of 2.1 (atleast) speakers - i.e the ones with a sub and two satelite speakers - v. handy for hall parties :biggrin:

1 Phone - any will do, Android preferred

1 iPad - very good for storing PDF books instead of buying them (uni books are a rip-off)

1 Printer - there'll be a day when you thank yourself for buying a printer as you print off the last page of your 3000 word essay 7 minutes before the deadline

1 Swiss army knife w/ bottle opener - every student needs a bottle opener :wink:

1 Shoulder Bag

1 HDMI cable - so you can link your laptop to the communal TV to stream 'match-day' and 'movie night'

You do NOT need an iPad. Do you think people are made of money? I agree an ebook reader can be useful but a kindle will do that job fine and is a fraction of the price.

Or you can be more organised and not leave it to the last minute to print something off?

Don't necessarily need speakers either.

Hard drive depends on the person. I do need one because I have a ton of tv/movies but others don't. Not forgetting torrents aren't usually allowed in university owned accommodation which I presume is how you meant they'd get such a large amount of data.

Quick Reply

Latest