The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Do Warwick place a lot of emphasis on GCSE's?

hey,

i'm think about applying to Warwick next year but was put off by someone telling me they place a lot of emphasis on GCSE's.

i'm hoping to study economics and for gcse i achieved:
6 A*'s
4 A's
B
C

i realise these aren't the greatest set of results for the typical economics applicant and was wondering if it was still worth applying in that i have a good, rather than ambiguous, chance of getting an offer.

Scroll to see replies

They're good enough. Just worry about A-level results now :smile:
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2
Original post by amg_22
hey,

i'm think about applying to Warwick next year but was put off by someone telling me they place a lot of emphasis on GCSE's.

6 A*'s
4 A's
B
C

i realise these aren't the greatest set of results for the typical economics applicant and was wondering if it was still worth applying in that i have a good, rather than ambiguous, chance of getting an offer.

I'm sorry to say, but I think the cut off is actually 7A*!
You got better GCSE's than me. Make what you will of that...
Reply 4
I'm applying to Cambridge with no A*'s and only 1 A with the intention of actuallly getting an offer... So I think those grades are fine loll...
Reply 5
Original post by J10
I'm applying to Cambridge with no A*'s and only 1 A with the intention of actuallly getting an offer... So I think those grades are fine loll...

Doesn't mean you're going to get one.
Reply 6
Original post by tehforum
Doesn't mean you're going to get one.

I know... but I wouldn't be applying if my application is just meaningless, and if I have no chance. A man can only dream... and hope to make it a reality...
Reply 7
Original post by J10
I know... but I wouldn't be applying if my application is just meaningless, and if I have no chance. A man can only dream... and hope to make it a reality...

Get 95+ in every module, then good luck.
Depends entirely on the subject. Economics is particular, you really need at least 5A* to be in with a 'good' chance. Other subjects like History, English, straight Law (not Law+ Soc or Business, both these seem to be piss easy to get into) and a good amount of A*s/As will suffice.
Reply 9
I'm sorry to say, but I think the cut off is actually 7A*!

yeah thats what i heard just wanted to check if true,

if thats the reason i don't get ima going to kill my science teacher.

did biology in year 10 and got 2 A*'s in exam with A in coursework. i asked her if i needed to improve my coursework and see said no (clearly cbaed to remark). come results day im 1 ums off an A*!!!!!!
Reply 10
Original post by amg_22

did biology in year 10 and got 2 A*'s in exam with A in coursework. i asked her if i needed to improve my coursework and see said no (clearly cbaed to remark). come results day im 1 ums off an A*!!!!!!

E-mail Warwick directly?

TBH, it's only one uni, I am sure you're good enough, just work hard in your AS.
Reply 11
E-mail Warwick directly?

TBH, it's only one uni, I am sure you're good enough, just work hard in your AS.

i have and they sent a very broad email back basically covering everything about GCSEs, in other words they send the same useless one to everyone rather than trying to give useful advice to individuals.
SIX A*s? Blimey.
I got one. I'm in. Starting in October. Whoever told you that was telling you wrong.
I'm going for History & Politics, by the way: I asked both departments and both said they care about how you're doing NOW, not what you did when you were sixteen. Might be different for like, PPE or super academic subjects. Ask the department.
Reply 13
THose results are absolutely fine, I got into physics with 6A*s, 4As and a B and I seem to have done better than most people here. Focus on gettinggood As results (and A2 predictions) and your GCSEs shouldn't present you with any problems at all.
Original post by amg_22

Just to clarify, there is no "cut off" in terms of GCSE results for studying Economics at Warwick. This year, we made offers to people with a wide range of GCSE profiles, including those with less than 7 A*'s.

I discuss this in more details as the first question of the FAQ in the Official Warwick Q&A thread.
Reply 15
It doesn't make much of a difference, just get good AS results...
Reply 16
Original post by J10

I did the same (no A*s, one A) what college and course?
Only got as far as an interview though.
Reply 17
Original post by oh_1993
I did the same (no A*s, one A) what college and course?
Only got as far as an interview though.

I'm sure what college, but I'll definitely be applying for maths :smile:

What about you?
Reply 18
Original post by amg_22
hey,

6 A*'s
4 A's
B
C

I have 5A*s 5As and 1B at GCSE. I am predicted A*A*A* at A Level and have achieved 1A* already. I applied to Warwick for Economics and my academic record for them was too weak. I achieved 80/80 in my Economics Unit 3 exam the day I received the rejection. I called up and they said that my GCSEs were lacking in comparison to other candidates. If you do well at A Level, I would suggest you look at the London universities as they have take more interest in A Level UMS. Good luck. To be discrete do not listen to representatives of the universities. They will not help you. Decide based on where you want to go and how likely it is you will get in. Be strategic about your UCAS. I would look into Mathematics and Economics at LSE. 500 applicants a year. I am just giving you advice I wish I had when applying.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by University of Warwick
Just to clarify, there is no "cut off" in terms of GCSE results for studying Economics at Warwick. This year, we made offers to people with a wide range of GCSE profiles, including those with less than 7 A*'s.

I discuss this in more details as the first question of the FAQ in the Official Warwick Q&A thread.

How many offers were made in total?

How many offers were made to those with less than 7A*'s?

Thank you.

Quick Reply

Latest