The Student Room Group

AS Edexcel Biology Unit 1 June 12- 14th of May

Scroll to see replies

Reply 400
Original post by viclupa1
What did you guys put for the question which asked why they measured both systolic and diastolic pressures?
Also what did you guys write when it asked why Group A were given pills with no drug in it?

I can't remember what i wrote for the 1st question but the 2nd one I wrote something along the lines of to see if the behaviour of taking a tablet believed to be filled with the drug effected the blood pressure in anyway and also to create a control and baseline measure, probably not right though.
Reply 401
How do the grade boundaries work. Below it says the boundaries for Jan 2012.

http://www.edexcel.com/iwantto/I%20want%20to%20%20Tasks/1201%20GCE%20Units%20Grade%20Boundaries%20(Home%20Int).pdf

Unit 1 - 59/80 = A
Unit 2 - 64/80 = A
Unit 3 - 62/90 = A
Unit 3 - 59/90 = A

So for a total grade would they just add them up = 244/340 for a total grade of an A. That is only 72%. Is that correct or do they use another equation?

Also how do you get an A*???
Reply 402
Original post by Jack5r
First one I just said so they could compare the effect it had on systole vs diastole.. It was 1 mark so that may be ok..?

Next one I said so that could compare the drug to a placebo group. Without the placebo group they would have no idea if they drug was having an effect or if people were just lowering there blood pressure naturally.

Phew! I said something similar to your answers, but for the first one I said so that they can calculate the overall blood pressure... Don't think that's right though :s-smilie:
Reply 403
How do they work out the grade boundaries and how to they work out your total mark?

Jan 2012 boundaries for an A were:

Unit 1 - 59/80
Unit 2 - 64/80
Unit 4 - 62/90
Unit 5 - 59/90

So in theory they would just add them all up = 244/340 for an A overall. That is only 71% for an A... Is this correct or do they use a complex equation? How do you get an A*???
Reply 404
Phew! I said something similar to your answers, but for the first one I said so that they can calculate the overall blood pressure... Don't think that's right though :s-smilie:

That sounds ok. When testing for bp you always get systole and diastole so that makes sense. More likely to get a mark than my first answer I recon.

It was a horrible exam tbh. I'm a home student so I learnt to book back to back but my data analysis is rubbish having had no teaching.
Reply 405
Original post by Jack5r
How do they work out the grade boundaries and how to they work out your total mark?

Jan 2012 boundaries for an A were:

Unit 1 - 59/80
Unit 2 - 64/80
Unit 4 - 62/90
Unit 5 - 59/90

So in theory they would just add them all up = 244/340 for an A overall. That is only 71% for an A... Is this correct or do they use a complex equation? How do you get an A*???

I think they use an equation and convert the score into UMS marks. And to get an A* I hear that coursework contributes a lot to the grade in A2 and you need to get over 80% (?) in the exam.
Reply 406
What did you guys put for the question which asked why they measured both systolic and diastolic pressures?
Also what did you guys write when it asked why Group A were given pills with no drug in it?

I said that Group A were a placebo group - where the drug had no active ingredient. People will still get better in this group as the feel they are getting treated - this is the placebo effect. For a drug to be considered effective the drug has to perform significantly better than the placebo group, which acts as a control in the experiment.
Reply 407
Original post by katu_mcd
i'm pretty sure it was just increase. think i put something like 2.3 - 0.8 = 1.5

OMG.... that's the same answer as mine....
Reply 408
Hmm doesn't 71% seem a little low for an A though? For my practice exams I was aiming for 80% for an A or 90% for an A*.
Reply 409
Original post by Jack5r
Hmm doesn't 71% seem a little low for an A though? For my practice exams I was aiming for 80% for an A or 90% for an A*.

Do you know what 72 ish out of 80 would be in UMS points? (that's about what I think I got in this exam)
Reply 410
This exam should not be called BIOLOGY. There is hardly any of the biology we learn from the text book in the paper.
Reply 411
Hi~ :smile: about that systole and diastole question i wrote to something along the lines of 'to see whether or not the lower blood pressure falls too much' What do you guys think ?
Reply 412
Original post by cisne
OMG.... that's the same answer as mine....

and me :smile:
Reply 413
Original post by filangee
i did that but then i worked out a % of 68? would i only get 2/3 marks?

Im not 100% sure if it asked for a percentage - but maybe you get marks for working out!
Who here did chemistry ?
Reply 415
Original post by Tilly3475
I was going to write that :frown: I knew that from psychology, buti ended up writing statins and my reason was because it reduces cholesterol meaning less likley to form atheroma which lrad to blood clots if blood pressure damages the arteries. (I've clearly failed this exam again)

I did the exact same thing! I was gonna put beta blockers but then for some reason it sounded silly :frown:
I think the correct answer was ACE Inhibitors or Calcium channel blockers.
Reply 416
What did u guys wirte for the experiment for the lipase and trigerldie??
Reply 417
Original post by avipsita

control variables
different concentrations
repeat it
plot graph
compare data

and other things that i forgot.
Reply 418
Original post by avipsita

-make up 15 different concentration of triglyceride, each to the same volume (5cm3)
- keep the amount of enzyme constant (at 1cm3)
- add the enzyme to each concentration of triglyceride and measure the initial pH and final pH
- the final pH is measured 30 seconds after the triglyceride is added to the enzyme
- repeat three times for each concentration of triglyceride
- plot a graph of change in pH against triglyceride concentration - note that the change in pH is proportional to the reaction rate
- keep temperature and other variables controlled

That's what I put anyway
Reply 419
Original post by oli_G
-make up 15 different concentration of triglyceride, each to the same volume (5cm3)
- keep the amount of enzyme constant (at 1cm3)
- add the enzyme to each concentration of triglyceride and measure the initial pH and final pH
- the final pH is measured 30 seconds after the triglyceride is added to the enzyme
- repeat three times for each concentration of triglyceride
- plot a graph of change in pH against triglyceride concentration - note that the change in pH is proportional to the reaction rate
- keep temperature and other variables controlled

That's what I put anyway

Good good ... i thought i was being stupid to write all of that :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending