The Student Room Group

PHY1H (OLD SPEC) Unit 1 AQA GCSE

Scroll to see replies

I got technium something or other (the last one) for the irradiation as gamma wont ionise cells and also wont last very long
(short half life)

i wrote sand as 1000-250 = 850 so more was reflected.

i wrote dummy's position!! FML!!! :frown:

i also got 200 for the boiler question, i dont remember the others!

thank GOD I got one q right.. the last answer was 90 years, i got that, wahoo!! xD

could someone tell me what the answer was to the one u had to circle? i got environmental and social i think (last once to circle)
Reply 61
Someone make an UNOFFICIAL MARKSCHEME please :biggrin:
Just had a quick google -I think it is Cobalt 60:

http://www.epa.gov/rpdweb00/sources/food_irrad.html
Reply 63
what was the question that everyone is talking about, 0.95 x 8 = 7.6 or something what Question was this?
I got technitican or whatever it was..... Shortest half life so safe

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Sensation XL with Beats Audio X315e
I think it was environment and economy cause it mentioned paying the shool

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Sensation XL with Beats Audio X315e
Reply 66
But it was to do with people so wasn't it social? :/
Was there a social and economic because if so then it would be thst if not I'd say economy and environment because they had to pay the school to help the the environment and surroundings

Reply 68
What past paper from what year was this one like?
Reply 69
Guys definite answers -

25 was the no. of hours, 7.6 kJ was the energy, it was technetium 99, it was snow :smile:

and I put the first choice, ethical and soming :/ Dunno right answer tho
Reply 70
Someone please REMIND ME OF THE TOPICS :biggrin:
Reply 71
Original post by MichelleQ
Someone please REMIND ME OF THE TOPICS :biggrin:

Conduction/convection, half-life, satellites, EM spectrum (microwaves), red shift, forgot the rest 8-)
Original post by maxtate
Guys definite answers -

25 was the no. of hours, 7.6 kJ was the energy, it was technetium 99, it was snow :smile:

and I put the first choice, ethical and soming :/ Dunno right answer tho

Are you sure it is technetium 99 used to irradiate food? The half life was only 6 hours, so it keeps needing to be replaced.

This website seems to say that Cobalt 60 is most commonly used: http://www.epa.gov/rpdweb00/sources/food_irrad.html

Which makes sense, as its half life is 5.3 years.
Reply 73
Original post by R.P.Everything.
Are you sure it is technetium 99 used to irradiate food? The half life was only 6 hours, so it keeps needing to be replaced.

This website seems to say that Cobalt 60 is most commonly used: http://www.epa.gov/rpdweb00/sources/food_irrad.html

Which makes sense, as its half life is 5.3 years.

I asked one of our teachers LOOL :biggrin: i put tech 99 as well tho cuz if the half life is 5.3 years e.g. for cobalt, then the food would still contain the radiation, which well...isn't good 8-) but by the time the food has been packaged etc, and after the manufacturing process, the nucleus would have decayed so it can't be harmful as the amount would be negligible.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by maxtate
I asked my teacher LOOL :biggrin: i put tech 99 as well tho cuz if the half life is 5.3 years e.g. for cobalt, then the food would still contain the radiation, which well...isn't good 8-) but by the time the food has been packaged etc, and after the manufacturing process, the nucleus would have decayed so it can't be harmful as the amount would be negligible.

I'm pretty sure the radioactive material isn't put in the food itself; it's put over the food and radiation is released in beams to irradiate the food. Besides, from chemistry, anything with technetium in is highly toxic, so I doubt they would actually spray the food with that.

Can someone else confirm what the right answer is?
Reply 75
Original post by R.P.Everything.
Anyone get cobalt 60 as the material to irradiate food with?

hmm i got technetium, cos it was gamma, so could kill bacteria, and had a shorter half life than the other gamma source so could reduce to a small, safe level much quicker
Reply 76
can someone remind me what the question was for that 7.6 KJ one? i don't remember this :/ really panicing lool :smile: good luck for your exams btw
Reply 77
It was technetium with 6 hour half-life. Penetrates the food but decays fast so food is safe.

I put ethical and economical. It was about money and ethical because is it right to be possibly endangering children with long term microwave exposure.
Reply 78
Original post by Aidanb90
It was technetium with 6 hour half-life. Penetrates the food but decays fast so food is safe.

I put ethical and economical. It was about money and ethical because is it right to be possibly endangering children with long term microwave exposure.

ah mate, i mentioned its not ionising lol, so if u eat it u wont be harmed. and short half life, but nothing about penetrating boxes :frown:
After seeing this, I'm certain its cobalt 60

irr_machine.jpg

Quick Reply

Latest