The Student Room Group

Wimbledon 2012

Scroll to see replies

Murray v Rosol would've been fun to watch :frown:

shame he didn't get past koschreiber who actually played a very good match against rosol in the 3rd round, it wasn't like rosol tanked it completely
Original post by .eXe
Lol you wish

Are you going to defend that statement or are you just a fanboy?

Federer didn't even get a look in the last time he played Novak in a grand slam SF. Granted he's far better on grass than clay, but a straight set win is very feasible. Remember you can still have a very close match decided in 3 sets if the sets are tight scrappy affairs and I think Djokovic is just a far better player these days.

Honestly Federer has done very well to get this far but has also had the luck of the draw on his side.

Murray gets the guy who beat him at Roland Garros whilst Fed plays some pretender from Russia.

Murray plays a tricky big serving Croat whilst Federer plays a player on his last legs who was never really that good anyway.

Federer gets Benneteau while Murray gets a former grand slam finalist.

Andy has had a very difficult draw in this tournament whereas Federer and Djokovic have cruised through against second rate opponents. If Andy gets past Tsonga and most likely Novak, he fully deserves his title.
Original post by internet tough guy
Murray v Rosol would've been fun to watch :frown:

shame he didn't get past koschreiber who actually played a very good match against rosol in the 3rd round, it wasn't like rosol tanked it completely

I'll be following Rosol closely going forward. Wouldn't surprise me if he just played one amazing match that he'll be remembered for and goes back to being a pretender for the rest of his career, mind you I felt the same way about Federer when he beat Pete Sampras and look how that turned out.
Reply 2003
Original post by Slumpy
Didn't you also claim Murray/Tsonga was more likely to beat Djok than Fed? I can see people taking issue with that.

Well I have my reasons to think so and this is because Murray and Tsonga are always close to victory everytime they face Djokovic thankwhenever they face Federer, excluding Tsonga's victory over Federer last year. They are most likely to choke when playing Fed and the fans will always cheer Fed if he was to face Tsonga. Don't really know about Murray. They've never really liked Nadal or Nole either.
Reply 2004
Original post by .eXe
... always has this grumpy look on his face, appears defeated after 3 shots and is in general a physically/mentally weaker player to the former two.

Too true :rofl:.

That's the main reason I can't begrudge myself to like/wholeheartedly support him, that attitude royally ****s me off.
Original post by Mr Dangermouse
I'll be following Rosol closely going forward. Wouldn't surprise me if he just played one amazing match that he'll be remembered for and goes back to being a pretender for the rest of his career, mind you I felt the same way about Federer when he beat Pete Sampras and look how that turned out.

Would hate to see him going back to a nobody, he's definitely got the talent physically and crucially, mentally as well to beat anyone.
Reply 2006
Are you going to defend that statement or are you just a fanboy?

Federer didn't even get a look in the last time he played Novak in a grand slam SF. Granted he's far better on grass than clay, but a straight set win is very feasible. Remember you can still have a very close match decided in 3 sets if the sets are tight scrappy affairs and I think Djokovic is just a far better player these days.

Honestly Federer has done very well to get this far but has also had the luck of the draw on his side.

Murray gets the guy who beat him at Roland Garros whilst Fed plays some pretender from Russia.

Murray plays a tricky big serving Croat whilst Federer plays a player on his last legs who was never really that good anyway.

Federer gets Benneteau while Murray gets a former grand slam finalist.

Andy has had a very difficult draw in this tournament whereas Federer and Djokovic have cruised through against second rate opponents. If Andy gets past Tsonga and most likely Novak, he fully deserves his title.

Unfortunately, fed fanboys will completely disagree with you.

Since the draw came out, all I've been hearing is that Nadal's got the easier draw but if you look closely it's obvious that Nole and Fed has the easier draw. The only thing that makes it more difficult is that they have to face each other before the final.

I already mentioned earlier too that Djokovic will win in straight sets or 3-1 if Fed bags a set.
Reply 2007
Original post by jukebox123
The way federer played in the quarter final, he will beat djok easily in straight sets

You're joking right?

LOL I didn't realise that Youzhny is the same standard as Djokovic.

Djokovic will prevail in straight sets or 3-1 if Fed manages.

Sorry to burst your bubble :smile:
The way federer played in the quarter final, he will beat djok easily in straight sets

Ha ha ha! Sorry, that's too funny.
Original post by .eXe
Lol you wish

Djokovic beat Federer in straight sets at the French Open so that's a distinct possibility. It's on a different surface but if Federer starts poorly Djokovic won't give him another chance.

Did you now really?
That was 11 years ago so unless you were a remarkably knowledgable tennis buff 6 year old, I can't comprehend how you would have come to that conclusion :wink:
Original post by kbountra
Did you now really?
That was 11 years ago so unless you were a remarkably knowledgable tennis buff 6 year old, I can't comprehend how you would have come to that conclusion :wink:

You'd be surprised how much I knew back then. Hell I remember the Sampras v Rafter final like it was last week. When Sampras lost to some Swiss guy called Federer and then Henman beat him I was just thinking he'd be "just another guy", i never really expected Lleyton Hewitt and Marat Safin to stop being awesome.
You'd be surprised how much I knew back then. Hell I remember the Sampras v Rafter final like it was last week. When Sampras lost to some Swiss guy called Federer and then Henman beat him I was just thinking he'd be "just another guy", i never really expected Lleyton Hewitt and Marat Safin to stop being awesome.

Haha fair dos! That's pretty impressive actually that you can remember stuff at that age. Hewitt is fortunate to have peaked so early in his career or he may have ended up with nothing. With his game style though, there was never a way he could maintain that level throughout his career, especially with no weapons. Relied on sheer grit and determination to get him through matches. Legend!

Did anybody think like that? I seem to recall a big deal being made about Federer. He had just reached the quarters in the French Open immediately before Wimbledon and he had pedigree on the juniors tour. He was also only 19. He was tipped as a 'future star' at the time by just about everyone. Obviously nobody could have predicted quite how much of star he would be.

There's no comparison to Rosol. Rosol is 26 and was a nobody before last week and very few, if any, people were saying he'd be a future top 20 player, let alone anything special.

If you can't get excited about the future of a 19-year-old beating one of the greatest players ever on his favourite surface then I feel sorry for you. Of course there will be huge disappointments but I'd never think they're 'just another guy' at such a young age.
Original post by TheMagicRat
Did anybody think like that? I seem to recall a big deal being made about Federer. He had just reached the quarters in the French Open immediately before Wimbledon and he had pedigree on the juniors tour. He was also only 19. He was tipped as a 'future star' at the time by just about everyone. Obviously nobody could have predicted quite how much of star he would be.

There's no comparison to Rosol. Rosol is 26 and was a nobody before last week and very few, if any, people were saying he'd be a future top 20 player, let alone anything special.

If you can't get excited about the future of a 19-year-old beating one of the greatest players ever on his favourite surface then I feel sorry for you. Of course there will be huge disappointments but I'd never think they're 'just another guy' at such a young age.

I was 6 so I didn't really know any better, it just never twigged with me at the time that this guy was going to end up being awesome.

When you're that young you never really expect any new hacks to break into the top 5 the guys I remember always thinking would be awesome were Henman, Hewitt, Safin, Ferrero and Moya, after Federer won Wimbledon I realised he was special.
Original post by *Hakz*
You're joking right?

You really love your definitive statements. While I'm not a big federer fan, he still has a pretty decent chance of winning this match....you seem to be totally writing him off

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Thought your name was jokebox123 then, which would've made more sense after a statement like that! :tongue:

EDIT: Cheers for the neg, jukebox
(edited 11 years ago)
It's really hard to call the Fed vs. Djokovic match. As I said before, if FedError turns up then Djokovic will take it in three. However, if FedEx turns up then I think that the old man will win in either four or five (probably five). Federer would rather have a leg off than lose to the Serb on Centre Court (his favourite court), so I think that he's going to put every ounce of effort into beating Djokovic. Either way, I think both men should treat this semi as if it were a final, as the winner of this match is heavy favourite to take the whole thing.

I really do think that Murray will come through against Tsonga, probably in four sets. Murray has a strong record against Tsonga and should still be able to deal with the Frenchman even if he does catch fire with his serve.

If Djokovic wins his semi-final then it will be very difficult to see past him winning the whole thing. Murray is more likely to challenge him than Tsonga is, but even then I fail to see how either player can truly hurt him. If Federer wins, I think that he would rather play Murray than Tsonga. While Murray is the better player, there is always the chance that Tsonga could just fire bullets at Federer for the whole match (a la Wimbledon 2011) and that old man just won't be able to deal with it. Murray would be mentally fragile (due to pressure of being the hope of the nation) and his defensive mode of play is likely to be exploited by an in-form Federer.
Original post by *Hakz*
You're joking right?

Remember what Federer did to djok in the french open semi-final last year?
Djok was also playing better than he is now...Federer looks in form now, so it'll be a tough match to call.
I predict Federer wins in 4 :smile:
Original post by Sirocco11
Djokovic beat Federer in straight sets at the French Open so that's a distinct possibility. It's on a different surface but if Federer starts poorly Djokovic won't give him another chance.

I don't mind which of djok and federer wins, I'm just trying to predict the outcome; I reckon it'll be a tough match, and it can go either way...
It doesn't matter who he played in the quarter-final, he just looked un-touchable, a bit like he was during his 5 year wimbledon reign from 2003-2007.
Do you agree with me? :smile:

Quick Reply