The Student Room Group

How bad is missing the first week of A-Level??

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by JessicaUk
Hehehe, you want to be a teacher later? :-)
xxx

No. Not sure about what I want to do but I don't think I'd ever do that.
Reply 21
I missed a month of AS, from late September then came back after oct half term. Managed to get full marks in my jan exams (bio and chem) predicted 4 As overall this year. so don't worry, just work hard in class and maybe ask teachers to spend a few minutes doing an overview of what you missed so you can ask questions, in a free/lunch/After school or something. It's perfectly possible to catch up :smile:
Reply 22
I missed most of the first week and I was fine - at my college it was mostly comprised of meeting your tutor/tutor group, introductions to teachers and logging on to the computers and finding out where everything is. I don't think we did any proper work until the second or third week in.

Everywhere's different, but from what I've heard from others at different colleges this is pretty much how the first week of college goes. Chances are you won't miss on any work, just the (in my opinion) mundane introductions and whatnot.
Original post by milkytea
Well at my college we actually did work in the first week. The first lesson was usually just introduction, but after that we were doing course content. I guess at other colleges it may be different.

Even so, you still wouldn't need to work your arse off :s-smilie: Not even close.
Reply 24
Original post by grant-m-s
I am starting my a-levels in September but I'm going on holiday late August so I will miss six days of school. How much work will I miss? And how long will it take me to catch up?:confused:

i'm sorry to say this, but there's absolutely no coming back after this..........:eek:

lol, but on a serious note, it won't make such a big difference or any at all infact.
Reply 25
you'll be fine, enjoy your holiday!
Reply 26
Original post by SleepySheep
Even so, you still wouldn't need to work your arse off :s-smilie: Not even close.

Well I suppose that's a phrase that means different things to different people. It's really not important. All I meant was that it's possible that the OP may have to work a lot harder than normal at the start to make up for missing a significant number of lessons.
Reply 27
All of our first week was "Doom, gloom, welcome to A-levels. You will be lucky to get a E in the January modules. Doom, gloom, it won't matter because universities won't even look at you because doom, gloom, it's so competitive." So I would have been better off missing it as I would not have spent half of AS year contemplating leaving...
Well I suppose that's a phrase that means different things to different people. It's really not important. All I meant was that it's possible that the OP may have to work a lot harder than normal at the start to make up for missing a significant number of lessons.

But why would the OP have to work a lot harder than normal? (S)he will only be missing like five days of college. It shouldn't make any difference whatsoever.
Might make it a bit more difficult to make friends but you won't miss much learning.
Reply 30
Original post by SleepySheep
But why would the OP have to work a lot harder than normal? (S)he will only be missing like five days of college. It shouldn't make any difference whatsoever.

Um, because you have to do the work that was set in the first week in the second week, as well as the work set in the second week anyway? If you read what I said in my previous post, I said that the extra work would only be temporary and at the start of college. I also made this clear in my original post, where I said that in the long term it won't make any difference for the OP... but you didn't quote that part.
Reply 31
It's the kind of thing you feel as though you want to try avoid, but in reality it wouldn't be bad at all. I know people who began in the second week because of holiday and it wasn't a problem.
My parents went on holiday at the same time, but I didn't go because I didn't want to miss the first week, I thought i'd be at a disadvantage not meeting people on the first couple of days and stuff. But looking back I should of just gone on the holiday.
It will be a bit behind but the first week is just introducing and useless stuff really. It's the very basics of the course.

If it makes you feel any better I didn't start my history AS level till a month into the course as I had a panic attack and swapped from another subject to history. I am now hope to be doing history at university, got an A at as-level and hope to get one for Alevel on results day :smile:

So not that bad, if you put in the work.
Reply 33
not very lmfao
Um, because you have to do the work that was set in the first week in the second week, as well as the work set in the second week anyway? If you read what I said in my previous post, I said that the extra work would only be temporary and at the start of college. I also made this clear in my original post, where I said that in the long term it won't make any difference for the OP... but you didn't quote that part.

I didn't quote that part because it won't make a difference in the short term either. I doubt there will be any work set in the first week and if there is it will be the bare minimum and I doubt the OP will even be expected to do it.
(edited 11 years ago)
You won't have problems 'catching up' because there won't be very much to catch up on, but you'll miss introductions and stuff.
I am starting my a-levels in September but I'm going on holiday late August so I will miss six days of school. How much work will I miss? And how long will it take me to catch up?:confused:

Expect to fail your exams miserably.
Reply 37

You can miss a lot more of your course and still be fine. Your school might kick up a fuss, but ignore them.
You just recap GCSE stuff in the first few days ...so as long as the vast majority is still your head you will be fine...worry not about the first week ....its the exams, asking for help when you do not understand and how you organise your time that are most important

Quick Reply

Latest