The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AlphaWolfZ
Thanks. Cambridge is great but I was under the impression that GCSEs where more significant there. Also imagine for a second that I get an exceptional BMAT score of lets 8.0. Is that enough to override my crap GCSEs?

Having a) worked alongside admissions tutors at Cambridge and b) studied there as an undergraduate, I can tell you that GCSEs are not the be-all and end-all for Cambridge. They are more interested in post-16 attainment.

If you were predicted straight A*s at A level, scored 8.0+ across sections 1 and 2 in the BMAT and had a competent Section 3, I would be extremely shocked if you weren't given an interview for medicine.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ah639
Having a) worked alongside admissions tutors at Cambridge and b) studied there as an undergraduate, I can tell you that GCSEs are not the be-all and end-all for Cambridge. They are more interested in post-16 attainment.

If you were predicted straight A*s at A level, scored 8.0+ across sections 1 and 2 in the BMAT and had a competent Section 3, I would be extremely shocked if you weren't given an interview for medicine.

Thank you so much for your words of encouragement. I guess I have a slight advantage in terms of extentuating circumstances as I lost 2 family members in a period of a few months. My teachers are willing to predict me A* as they know that it doesn't correspond to my achievements. So let's see if I can get those 8.0s and hopefully get an interview (I'm quite good at those :wink:)

P.S. I've heard from some extremely smart individuals than an 8.0 is nearly impossible and isn't achievable. How accurate is that and would 4 months of intensive work increase my chances?
(edited 7 years ago)
Thank you so much for your words of encouragement. I guess I have a slight advantage in terms of extentuating circumstances as I lost 2 family members in a period of a few months. My teachers are willing to predict me A* as they know that it doesn't correspond to my achievements. So let's see if I can get those 8.0s and hopefully get an interview (I'm quite good at those :wink:)

P.S. I've heard from some extremely smart individuals than an 8.0 is nearly impossible and isn't achievable. How accurate is that and would 4 months of intensive work increase my chances?

You really won't need 8s to get a Cambridge interview though. Getting in the 6s with a decent essay score should comfortably see you to interview.
Thanks for your comprehensive advice. In terms of consideration, the reason for homeschooling was the simple fact that we had to move twice to the Middle East and back due to my parent's work and that interfered with my revision. I doubt that will be considered so I don't know if I should write down as I'm already applying for migrating circumstances for this year due to losing 2 family members, it will seem too apologetic.

Mention anything you can. Having extenuating circumstances is far from rare - its not like you'll be the only one.

If Oxford isn't going to shortlist me, is applying next year with the 4A* at A level going to change anything? Also how different is Cambridge in weighing my IGCSEs. If I'm going to dedicate 6 years of my life I'll want to do it somewhere that I enjoy the structure of the course, hence oxford.

Cambridge attach more weight to AS UMS grades. They are definitely more lenient when it comes to GCSEs (and slightly for BMAT too, if some old data is correct). They also interview a greater proportion anyway (although interview each candidate less extensively).

Like I said, this exam is only taken by those that have grades like yours. To say 'i'll just work hard and get an 8.0' is absurd, and if that is what your application relies on then you should be rethinking.

Having said that, you definitely will not need an 8.0 to get an interview at Cambridge, nor tbh at Oxford (though hard to tell). Its also of note from the Oxford data page that someone who got 80-85%, and more than one who got 75-80%, on the BMAT still failed to get a place after interview, so its not everything even if you do do well.
Thanks. Isn’t the fact that I was homeschooled and achieved the A* grades at the age of 13 going to put me on a slightly better footing. Do you think I should still not apply for oxford even If I’m confident in my ability to achieve an extremely high BMAT score? Presuming I get a BMAT of 7.0 average, will that counter effect my poor GCSEs.

Being homeschooled doesn't give you any special consideration. They won't care. Doing it thirteen doesn't help either. How old are you now? You need to check if your old enough when you start. The issue with bmat is that it's unpredictable. Even with the top score. 3A*s at GCSE probably won't be enough. There are many other amazing universities.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Extenuating circumstances are dealt with differently by each uni. But to be honest it only effects your exam results.

OXBRIDGE IS NOT THE BE ALL AND END ALL. There are plenty other medical schools which you'd have a good shot of getting into. Don't forget the UKCAT.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think I will get 4A*5A and 3B on results day possibly better I hope!
Bs in Maths, Statistics and French.
I hope to study Medicine at the University of Manchester, Liverpool or Leeds.

Thank you for all your replies :wink:
A B in Maths might limit you slightly - there are a handful of places wanting A/A* in it - but otherwise those grades should be fine for most UK universities. Just avoid the ones placing most emphasis on GCSEs - Cardiff, Birmingham, Oxford for starters.
Original post by Dr.Jina
I think I will get 4A*5A and 3B on results day possibly better I hope!
Bs in Maths, Statistics and French.
I hope to study Medicine at the University of Manchester, Liverpool or Leeds.

Thank you for all your replies :wink:

Those GCSE grades are good for medicine, the B in maths may let you down a little at certain universities.

For liverpool the B in maths may hold you back, but at Manchester it shouldnt be a problem. I cannot really speak for leeds.
Thanks you for your reply, assuming that i got AAA at A level-Bio,Chem and philosophy. What universities would be more appropriate for me to apply to. Like less GCSE 'heavy' ones :smile: .
Original post by Dr.Jina
Thanks you for your reply, assuming that i got AAA at A level-Bio,Chem and philosophy. What universities would be more appropriate for me to apply to. Like less GCSE 'heavy' ones :smile: .

That is amazing :eek: How did you do it, especially a-level chem i heared its hard!
Haha, hey with a year of flat studying and volunteering anything might be possible
Original post by kgla24
Hi guys was wondering if anyone could help me out

I'm soon graduating with a 2:1 in Molecular biology, I have really quite bad Highers and got into my university with a HNC.

I was wondering what med schools don't consider your academic achievement before you degree? For both A100 and A101?

Or even to what extent they use previous academic achievement?

Any advice super appreciated

Off the top of my head Warwick, Nottingham and King's, plus a few others; also Barts doesn't if your degree contained enough bio & chem (they have a pre-approved list of degrees that do, if yours isn't on it they check your transcript and tell you).

The extent to which they look at your academic achievement varies between individual unis; some rely more heavily on the UKCAT or GAMSAT.

The wiki page here lists all the grad entry courses and their requirements, there are several that don't have any A-level requirements, but do check their individual websites for their most recent requirements
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=15889-graduate-entry-medicine-a-guide
Reply 8754
So in terms of work experience and voluntary work, I know there isn't a limit on how much you do but based on how much you learn. Currently, I volunteer at a hospital on the ward (1 year), time at GP, care home. I have learned a lot from my experience but is this enough?

Thanks.
Original post by SGHD26716
So in terms of work experience and voluntary work, I know there isn't a limit on how much you do but based on how much you learn. Currently, I volunteer at a hospital on the ward (1 year), time at GP, care home. I have learned a lot from my experience but is this enough?

Thanks.

It should be enough, the only med school i know that want actual physical hours of voluntary work are keele.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8756
Original post by Natalierm2707
It should be enough, the only med school i know that want actual physical hours of voluntary work are keele.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you. I just don't want the university to think I've done the bare minimum and got work experience for the sake of work experience
Original post by SGHD26716
Thank you. I just don't want the university to think I've done the bare minimum and got work experience for the sake of work experience

Its more about your reflection upon your work experience than the amount of it, dont worry about that.

Hello AlphaWolf,

Whilst entry to Cambridge medicine is indeed competitive, you simply don't need 8.0 to get in. Whilst a higher score will definitely increase your chances of success, a exceptionally high score isn't necessary (nor sufficient). In our experience, we have had extremely bright students who under-performed in the BMAT and still got offers due to their excellent interview preparation.

Oxbridge take a very holistic approach to their application process and will consider multiple factors like BMAT, Interview, Personal statement etc when giving out offers. Although it's important to prepare comprehensively for the BMAT, you're unlikely to need to do so for 4 months straight!
A good starting place is to go over your AS science (especially GCSE physics if you no longer do it) and then work your way through a BMAT textbook and then finally past papers once you feel ready.

For more BMAT information and advice - it's worth looking at: www.uniadmissions.co.uk/bmat-test.

Hope that helps!

UniAdmissions
(edited 7 years ago)
Hey guys, does anyone know which universities are much less GCSE heavy?