The Student Room Group

Veterinary Medicine 2016!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Squirrel246
Thank you so much 😊 How do you find balancing work with life??? I've heard a lot of people saying the course is very full on (understandably) - does it completely consume your life? X

Balancing work with life is possible, there is a lot of information given to you over a short period of time so summarizing is very important. Also limiting the amount of time you spend on work to a maximum number of hours a day means you can make time for other things :smile:. It is difficult but manageable, the work doesn't consume your life I promise :smile:. Also another big difference from A-levels is that they don't expect you to remember everything, a pass is 50% and that is what a lot of students aim for :smile:
Original post by Vetstudent333
Balancing work with life is possible, there is a lot of information given to you over a short period of time so summarizing is very important. Also limiting the amount of time you spend on work to a maximum number of hours a day means you can make time for other things :smile:. It is difficult but manageable, the work doesn't consume your life I promise :smile:. Also another big difference from A-levels is that they don't expect you to remember everything, a pass is 50% and that is what a lot of students aim for :smile:

Thank you so much!!! I'm so looking forward to it! Although saying that... I'm pretty sure I just failed my Bio Exam 😣
Original post by Squirrel246
Thank you so much!!! I'm so looking forward to it! Although saying that... I'm pretty sure I just failed my Bio Exam 😣

No problem, I'm sure you did fine :smile: good luck with the grades and hopefully see you around next year :smile:
HI all,

Ive accepted surrey as firm choice.......but haven't yet been guided to health questionnaire....has anyone else firmed up with surrey and heard anything about the health checks or DBS??
Original post by shanebassett1234
HI all,

Ive accepted surrey as firm choice.......but haven't yet been guided to health questionnaire....has anyone else firmed up with surrey and heard anything about the health checks or DBS??

Hi, I have firmed surrey as well. My friend is at surrey at the moment and if I remember rightly she didn't get much information until late july/early auagust. I don't imagine we will hear much from them until after results day when they know who is definitely coming to the university. It is frustrating but that's how these things work unfortunately.

Sorry I cant be more specific.
Are vet degrees classified? How hard it it to pass compared to A levels?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sutcliaj03
Are vet degrees classified? How hard it it to pass compared to A levels?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Depends on where you go

It's a big step up and each year it's another step up. It's not hard, there's just a lot to know

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nothingtoreport
Hi, I have firmed surrey as well. My friend is at surrey at the moment and if I remember rightly she didn't get much information until late july/early auagust. I don't imagine we will hear much from them until after results day when they know who is definitely coming to the university. It is frustrating but that's how these things work unfortunately.

Sorry I cant be more specific.

great cheers...there is a surrey vet holders 2016 on facebook
Reply 3328
What kind of calculator would you need for vet school? Graphic display calculators or just 'standard' ones?
How is everyone feeling about exams now they're all over (A levels I think are finished now?)? I'm fairly worried about meeting my conditions but not too much can be done now I suppose :redface:
Desperate to start getting kit and stuff for vet school along with freshers tickets but I guess I'll have to wait until August :tongue:.
Also will any offer holders continue to do wex over this summer?
Reply 3330
Has anyone else been placed on the reserve list for Bristol? Also, does anyone have any idea how likely you are to get a place after being on the reserve list?
Seems a bit horrible having to rely on others not making their grades to get a place but it's my only hope this year and as a "mature" student I don't really want to take another year out.
Original post by Zoe08
Has anyone else been placed on the reserve list for Bristol? Also, does anyone have any idea how likely you are to get a place after being on the reserve list?
Seems a bit horrible having to rely on others not making their grades to get a place but it's my only hope this year and as a "mature" student I don't really want to take another year out.

The reserve list is used by most vet schools now - there is definitely no shame in getting in this way!

It is an unfortunate fact that every year there will be offer holders that don't make their grades, hence making more offer than there are spaces available.
The chances of getting a place from the reserve list are fair - although trying to predict how many people won't make their offer is a dark science!

Good luck :smile:
Original post by forumobserver
The reserve list is used by most vet schools now - there is definitely no shame in getting in this way!

It is an unfortunate fact that every year there will be offer holders that don't make their grades, hence making more offer than there are spaces available.
The chances of getting a place from the reserve list are fair - although trying to predict how many people won't make their offer is a dark science!

If someone was on the reserve list at Bristol but subsequently notified of a rejection on the UCAS deadline does this mean they are still actually on the waiting list and only rejected to comply with the deadline?
Original post by Duransian
If someone was on the reserve list at Bristol but subsequently notified of a rejection on the UCAS deadline does this mean they are still actually on the waiting list and only rejected to comply with the deadline?

You will only be on a wait list if you have been rejected. If you want to double check your space on the waiting list or how far up/down you are on it you need to get in touch with the uni directly

Original post by Treen98
You will only be on a wait list if you have been rejected. If you want to double check your space on the waiting list or how far up/down you are on it you need to get in touch with the uni directly

The reserve list has strict criteria and is only for candidates who have originally been rejected after interview. Anyone on the reserve list will have been contacted directly by the Uni, but they will not tell you where you sit on the list, as is only comes in to play during Confirmation week - there is no ranking system.
Also, the reserve list is only created after the UCAS reply deadlines.
The reserve list has strict criteria and is only for candidates who have originally been rejected after interview. Anyone on the reserve list will have been contacted directly by the Uni, but they will not tell you where you sit on the list, as is only comes in to play during Confirmation week - there is no ranking system.
Also, the reserve list is only created after the UCAS reply deadlines.

You're right of course- I don't think my post was very clear so sorry about that; but has there not been people before who have been told where they were on the list because I think I recall something like that before? Either way people will know by now if they're listed or not since we're into July 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you for the replies. My daughter was originally told she was on the waiting list post-interview, but subsequently had a rejection via UCAS.
Original post by Zoe08

They said on Bristol's interview day that each year usually around 20 offer holders do not make their offer grades and so people from the reserve list get those places. I'm not sure how long the reserve list is though

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Treen98
You're right of course- I don't think my post was very clear so sorry about that; but has there not been people before who have been told where they were on the list because I think I recall something like that before? Either way people will know by now if they're listed or not since we're into July 😊

You were half-right! Everyone who is on the reserve list will have been contacted a while ago, but they won't have been told where they sit on the list, for the reasons I mentioned before - the list is not ranked.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for the replies. My daughter was originally told she was on the waiting list post-interview, but subsequently had a rejection via UCAS.

The waiting list is not the same as the reserve list; the reserve list is used post-confirmation. The waiting list is used while replies to offers are still being received.

Original post by Sutcliaj03
They said on Bristol's interview day that each year usually around 20 offer holders do not make their offer grades and so people from the reserve list get those places. I'm not sure how long the reserve list is though

The list is not very long and the number of people who get places from it changes every year depending on results.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The waiting list is not the same as the reserve list; the reserve list is used post-confirmation. The waiting list is used while replies to offers are still being received.

Ahh okay, my mistake, sorry 😳.
Thanks for clearing it up :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending