The Student Room Group

Paramedic Science 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kerry.pip
Hi everyone!
I'm starting at Edge Hill in september, and I'm looking for a bit of extra reading to prepare for the course :cool:
Does anyone know of any good UK paramedic blogs, particularly ones helping with the studying aspect of the course?
Also thinking of starting my own blog once on the course, so any advice would be greatly appreciated :smile:

-Check out the Facebook group 'so you want to be a paramedic?'
-There's a guy called Alex grant (@alexgrant947) who's a first year at Anglia Ruskin and has a pretty good blog https://student.blogs.anglia.ac.uk/category/medical-science/alex-grants-posts/
-your local ambulance trust will probably have some staff who tweet regularly a few I follow are @LASBrent @medic914 and @Paramedicweekly
-Podcasts. PHEMcast is one on the apple podcasts app which usually gets quite in depth but includes some really interesting topics each episode

Hope you find some of them interesting/helpful :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Has anyone applied through clearing? I am thinking of applying through clearing as I do not want to wait another year to start uni and I was wondering whether there are many people that get onto the paramedic science courses through clearing? If so, where have you applied and what grades/experience do you have?
So glad I rejected Herts to try for SGUL in clearing after being rejected post interview - got my offer!

OVER THE MOON!
Original post by JoeTSR
So glad I rejected Herts to try for SGUL in clearing after being rejected post interview - got my offer!

OVER THE MOON!

See you in September mate
Original post by SolStott
See you in September mate

See you there! :smile:
Original post by Courtneyosbornex
If you contact the accommodation service they can help you out with finding a house! There are also Anglia Ruskin 2016 Facebook groups where you might be able to find people looking to share a house!

Hey Courtney,
We're three girls living in a shared house looking for a fourth a short walk from ARU, we study law and are second year students, if you're interested, message me
Reply 986
Hi,

Found this thread quite late but essentially having a crisis over whether to pick SGLU or Surrey, read through the whole chat and not many people mention Surrey, even though the uni is quite good, and the placements are 50%, whilst SGLU is only 12-23% over the whole course. Quite confused about this disparity, does it not mean much in terms of actual hours, does anyone know? On the other hand, SGLU is with the LAS, and that's the most exciting you get really. As you can probably tell just decided to apply for paramedic in clearing and would welcome any advice and opinions!

Thanks for reading through my jumbled thoughts,

Fay
Original post by NOTWU
Hi,

Found this thread quite late but essentially having a crisis over whether to pick SGLU or Surrey, read through the whole chat and not many people mention Surrey, even though the uni is quite good, and the placements are 50%, whilst SGLU is only 12-23% over the whole course. Quite confused about this disparity, does it not mean much in terms of actual hours, does anyone know? On the other hand, SGLU is with the LAS, and that's the most exciting you get really. As you can probably tell just decided to apply for paramedic in clearing and would welcome any advice and opinions!

Thanks for reading through my jumbled thoughts,

Fay

I have experience with going to both universities with open days and interviews. They actually have the same amount of placement hours as if they had less they wouldn't be approved by College of Paramedics. From my personal experience I feel St George's is superior in every way in terms of atmosphere, teaching and support and I even felt it was fairly hostile at my Surrey interview. In addition keep in mind there have been some scandals to do the ambulance service of which Surrey are with and the accommodation you'll get (as you have to have a car there) seems pretty awful whilst SGUL are great. I am off to George's if you hadn't realised with my review.

Best of luck

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 988
Original post by SolStott
I have experience with going to both universities with open days and interviews. They actually have the same amount of placement hours as if they had less they wouldn't be approved by College of Paramedics. From my personal experience I feel St George's is superior in every way in terms of atmosphere, teaching and support and I even felt it was fairly hostile at my Surrey interview. In addition keep in mind there have been some scandals to do the ambulance service of which Surrey are with and the accommodation you'll get (as you have to have a car there) seems pretty awful whilst SGUL are great. I am off to George's if you hadn't realised with my review.

Best of luck

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi,

Thanks so much for your reply! I'm feeling very conflicted atm, but I'm relieved to know that they both have the same placement hours, was quite confused about that. You seem to know your ****, so would you be able to tell me if St George's have decent contact hours, as a lot of their course seems to emphasise online learning.

Thanks again,

Fay
Original post by NOTWU
Hi,

Thanks so much for your reply! I'm feeling very conflicted atm, but I'm relieved to know that they both have the same placement hours, was quite confused about that. You seem to know your ****, so would you be able to tell me if St George's have decent contact hours, as a lot of their course seems to emphasise online learning.

Thanks again,

Fay

They emphasise the online learning as it is a great supplement to the in class learning, just as an example for the first 10 or so weeks we get a lecture or class 5 days a week or so I am told to learn whole anatomy and physiology. In addition it's the only college of Paramedics in the UK and due to that all of their learning is paramedic focused unlike Surrey which is joint with nurses, midwives etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kerry.pip
Hi everyone!
I'm starting at Edge Hill in september, and I'm looking for a bit of extra reading to prepare for the course :cool:
Does anyone know of any good UK paramedic blogs, particularly ones helping with the studying aspect of the course?
Also thinking of starting my own blog once on the course, so any advice would be greatly appreciated :smile:

Hi there how was your interview at Edge Hill were they friendly?
hello. im up for my assessment at greenwich on thursday? just scouting for information on the math ad english tests / interview? anyone got any inside information they can share or previous experience? para science medway
Hello :smile:
Anyone on here due to start their course at Northampton?
Original post by Alexmynameis
Hi
I've just started my paramedic degree this year so I would be happy to answer any questions you guys have about the application process. I'm a mature student, did an Access course.

I would love to chat at length!!!! So today I enrolled in an access to nursing course (currently 22, have been working in various roles in a&e for 3 years, band 3 clinical role for the last 7 months, have all the GCSE requirements including double award science, have to trauma intermediate life support training days, as well as AHLS) and was literally laughed at by the person I spoke to at college as apparently paramedic science is very competitive to get onto, people with more experience and qualifications would get chosen over me and that there's only 25 places at Sheffield Hallam uni, and over 1200 people apply each year.

Basically shot me dreams out of the water, not that I'm going to give up on my dream. But I just would like your advice on how the selection and interview process went, and how best to word your personal statement :smile:
Original post by __homesick_
I would love to chat at length!!!! So today I enrolled in an access to nursing course (currently 22, have been working in various roles in a&e for 3 years, band 3 clinical role for the last 7 months, have all the GCSE requirements including double award science, have to trauma intermediate life support training days, as well as AHLS) and was literally laughed at by the person I spoke to at college as apparently paramedic science is very competitive to get onto, people with more experience and qualifications would get chosen over me and that there's only 25 places at Sheffield Hallam uni, and over 1200 people apply each year.

Basically shot me dreams out of the water, not that I'm going to give up on my dream. But I just would like your advice on how the selection and interview process went, and how best to word your personal statement :smile:

Drop me a PM if you have any questions.
Hi,

For those who had interviews at Edge Hill and Herts for 2016 intake... how long did it take from applying to be invited to interview?

Thank you!

Amy
Reply 996
Original post by HellomynameisAmy
Hi,

For those who had interviews at Edge Hill and Herts for 2016 intake... how long did it take from applying to be invited to interview?

Thank you!

Amy

Hi Amy,

I sent off my application at the very beginning of January and I had my interview at Herts in March. :smile:
Original post by VeeLo22
Hi Amy,

I sent off my application at the very beginning of January and I had my interview at Herts in March. :smile:

Thanks for getting back to me so quick!!

Are you studying there now? I went to the open day last weekend and LOVED it!! My application was sent off last week and I'm so excited/nervous to hear back!!

Thanks again,

Amy
Reply 998
Original post by HellomynameisAmy
Thanks for getting back to me so quick!!

Are you studying there now? I went to the open day last weekend and LOVED it!! My application was sent off last week and I'm so excited/nervous to hear back!!

Thanks again,

Amy

Hi Amy,

Yes :smile: and I am thoroughly enjoying it so far. I am glad you enjoyed the visit, it's a great uni!

Hopefully you hear from them soon!

If you wanna know more about the uni/course/interview, feel free to pm me, I am more then happy to answer. :smile:
Original post by sw0nze
Hello 😊 I've just finished my a levels and I'm taking a gap year to gain relative experience in the field (something that I would recommend to anyone wanting a career in any healthcare practice). Also planning to obtain a C1 drivers license (also something that would be very advantageous to anyone wanting to apply to paramedic science). I will be applying to St George's, Coventry, Staffordshire, swansea, Worcester and Portsmouth 😊

As for voluntary work, St johns has been amazing for me. I have learned and continue to learn very useful things that are very beneficial to me. St. John's can be very hit or miss depending on where you live, not every division is a well equipped as another or have any health care professionals there to guide you. For example my division has multiple ambulances, health care professionals and students and is generally just managed well. Where as another division could have none of those things and not get their members out on duties to gain experience, it's important to look into divisions before you join.

Any questions feel free to ask 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

hey, how have you got on? I realise that this is a few years ago now- which university did you end up going to/ your reasoning behind choosing it? I am currently looking to go this year (2017 entry), and I'm stuck between which to apply to

Quick Reply

Latest