The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Bristol Uni Accommodation Info MKII (Please post all questions here)

Scroll to see replies

Which halls would be the best for someone doing law, distance wise? I'd prefer somewhere close
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Original post by bobbydylan
Thoughts on social life at somewhere like Orchard heights compared to HB SC?? Is it worth sacrificing convenience (Location at the centre etc.) for better social life in SB?

Not a lot of people (myself included) know much about Orchard Heights given it is so new. I would however say, you still will have a social life regardless of whether you live in SB or somewhere in city center. Orchard Heights is pretty big, I'd find it hard to believe that it's gonna be rammed full on anti social people on the basis it isn't SB. From people ik in SB, it honestly isn't all it's made out to be.
Original post by IsabelleK
Which halls would be the best for someone doing law, distance wise? I'd prefer somewhere close

Orchard Heights and any of the clifton ones are all pretty close. I believe most law lectures are in Wills Memorial building if you wanted to check yourself how far each one is away.
Reply 782
Original post by spleenharvester
Nice and quiet (even next to the SU is much quieter than city centre). No climbing big hills or buses to get to anything/anywhere. Never had any trouble from drunk/dodgy people walking home at night as was always happening in the centre. As for halls in Clifton, I've been in both 115 Queens and Manor, and much preferred them to all other places I've lived at in every way.

How did you find manor hall and sharing the bathroom facilities, social life etc?
Original post by amu3
How did you find manor hall and sharing the bathroom facilities, social life etc?

Really great place, probably the best to go if you want somewhere social, but don't want to have to put up with buses to and from Stoke B. Bathroom facilities themselves were good (5 showers/5 toilets between 18 of us, never had to wait), though they did flood a couple of times. We each got compensated for that though. I moved there from University Hall and had a much better time.
If I say my preferred room type for University Hall is ensuite am I still elegible for the non-ensuite rooms?
could someone please give me some general information on HB catered. I have made that my second choice for accommodation.
Like what is the hall like? are the rooms big? social life? what type of people tend to apply there? will I be able to get work done efficiently?

Thanks!
Original post by Skatchan
If I say my preferred room type for University Hall is ensuite am I still elegible for the non-ensuite rooms?

On one of the accommodation pages it says that 'We cannot guarantee an offer of your preferred residence. However, the residence you choose will take priority over the type of room you choose', so if the en-suites are oversubscribed (which seems fairly likely seeing as there's only 50-odd and everyone seem to apply for the more expensive ones) you'll have a solid chance of being but in the 230-odd shared bathroom ones, if I read that right.
Reply 787
Hello everyone! I am a new postgraduate student at the university of Bristol starting on September 2016. It' s been two weeks since I have applied for accommodation and I haven't been made an offer yet. Does anyone know how long it usually takes to get a reply? Thank you!
Reply 788
Original post by Vasia_M
Hello everyone! I am a new postgraduate student at the university of Bristol starting on September 2016. It' s been two weeks since I have applied for accommodation and I haven't been made an offer yet. Does anyone know how long it usually takes to get a reply? Thank you!

It says on the website that they start allocating rooms from 31st May till the end of July. I guess it's a long process, you just have to wait.
Original post by Vasia_M

Original post by amy102
It says on the website that they start allocating rooms from 31st May till the end of July. I guess it's a long process, you just have to wait.

It may be different for postgraduates but I don't assume it would be... All university accommodation is allocated from the 14th of August to the 5th of September (when you get your room allocation email)
Hey guys, I'm moving to halls in September, was just wondering what days would be likely allocated for moving in? I'm being a bridesmaid on the 9th September and really don't want to miss out on freshers weekend... Does anyone know when freshers is? And when we are likely to start moving in? Thanks
Reply 791
What is the storage like in Orchard Heights rooms? Thanks
Original post by carlamitchh
Hey guys, I'm moving to halls in September, was just wondering what days would be likely allocated for moving in? I'm being a bridesmaid on the 9th September and really don't want to miss out on freshers weekend... Does anyone know when freshers is? And when we are likely to start moving in? Thanks

You won't find out till close to the time, but when I was in halls it was last week or so of september. It's definitely never as early as the 9th, you'll be fine.
Reply 793
That was very helpful.Thank you guys for the quick response!!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Inazuma
You won't find out till close to the time, but when I was in halls it was last week or so of september. It's definitely never as early as the 9th, you'll be fine.

Ahh phew thanks!!
I'm not sure if this has been discussed previously or not but I just got my results and I found out that I am going to Bristol! It was my insurance choice so I wasn't able to choose accommodation. I was wondering if anyone knew what halls people usually get placed into if Bristol is their insurance? Do we still get to pick preferences or do we just get placed into them? Thanks
Hey guys how much does a Meal Card cost? Ya know the one offered in some self catered residences?
Hi there, I was wondering if someone could give me some advice about my Uni accommodation choices?

Essentially, I would like to be in halls as I understand they're the best place to be for social life. However, I don't have an infinite budget so some of the more expensive halls are out my range.
I thought about putting University Hall 1st choice (it was apparently undersubscribed last year), but this leaves me with not very many options for my 2nd choice if I wanted halls.
Alternatively I could put Manor Hall 1st and University Hall 2nd, but in this order both of them were oversubscribed last year (MH had lots of 1st pref, UH lots of 2nd).

So basically I was wondering if it would be better to choose UH as 1st but risk not putting another hall down in my preferences, or hedge my bets and put MH 1st with UH 2nd, with a chance that I won't get either since they're over subscribed?

Or alternatively am I just massively over-thinking things? :')

Thanks for any advice you can give!
Original post by ICulshaw
Hi there, I was wondering if someone could give me some advice about my Uni accommodation choices?

Essentially, I would like to be in halls as I understand they're the best place to be for social life. However, I don't have an infinite budget so some of the more expensive halls are out my range.
I thought about putting University Hall 1st choice (it was apparently undersubscribed last year), but this leaves me with not very many options for my 2nd choice if I wanted halls.
Alternatively I could put Manor Hall 1st and University Hall 2nd, but in this order both of them were oversubscribed last year (MH had lots of 1st pref, UH lots of 2nd).

So basically I was wondering if it would be better to choose UH as 1st but risk not putting another hall down in my preferences, or hedge my bets and put MH 1st with UH 2nd, with a chance that I won't get either since they're over subscribed?

Or alternatively am I just massively over-thinking things? :':wink:

Thanks for any advice you can give!

Oooh err - go with your gut.
Do you prefer either hugely? If I were you and had a budget I'd go for the safer undersubscribed option, as otherwise being put out of budget can happen.
Before I start the application process is there anything I should know? It's probably best to prepare the statement beforehand, however is there anything else?

Quick Reply