The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by evantej
I am claiming income-assessed Jobseeker's Allowance at the moment, and I am full-time university student. They know that I am looking for temporary work until the middle of September.

Good luck, unlucky mate.
Reply 41
This might be a slightly odd, unethical question, but if I am a student with no current loans who is returning to the uk in my 4th year on a study abroad program, could I apply for jsa? I've lived in the us since I was 15, going to uni here, but I'm staying in the uk permanently once the study abroad program ends.

Feels a bit dodgy, but then I wouldn't turn down the money.

Edit: also, this is for spring not summer. Ill be done by then and i assume it'll be fine since I'll be done with uni.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Jcm88
This might be a slightly odd, unethical question, but if I am a student with no current loans who is returning to the uk in my 4th year on a study abroad program, could I apply for jsa? I've lived in the us since I was 15, going to uni here, but I'm staying in the uk permanently once the study abroad program ends.

Edit: also, this is for spring not summer. Ill be done by then and i assume it'll be fine since I'll be done with uni.

No you can't. If you're still in full time education you can't claim JSA.
Reply 43
But I'll probably be able to between uni and grad school?
Original post by Jcm88
But I'll probably be able to between uni and grad school?

Maybe, you'd have to phone up and ask.
Reply 45
what about going between 2 unrelated courses but getting loans on both. HND to Bachelors....not going into year 2 or anything like that. That's like a 4 month wait for money if I don't get a job :/ which is likely.
Original post by chrislpp
what about going between 2 unrelated courses but getting loans on both. HND to Bachelors....not going into year 2 or anything like that. That's like a 4 month wait for money if I don't get a job :/ which is likely.

If you're enrolled in the University for the second course I doubt you can as you'd still be classed as a student.
Reply 47

I think from the official course end date of your HND to the official start date of your degree, you would be eligible for JSA. Bear in mind you're also liable for council tax for this period so if you don't live at home, make sure you claim housing/council tax benefit for this period too.
Original post by Jcm88

You might also be classed as a Person From Abroad if you have lived away from the UK since you were 15, even if you hava a British passport, could get dodgy trying to apply so I'd say get further advice on it really. I had a claim for an elderly couple (Housing Benefit/Council Tax Benefit NOT JSA) and they'd lived in Spain for the last 5 years and had bought a home there. Had moved back here when their granddaughter got ill but we couldn't award them benefit because they were classed as PFA's :frown: really sucked to tell them that... the rules can be weird sometimes.

As previously said, you will probably be able to claim from when your course is stated as ending (might be in June/July) to when your new course starts (e.g. Sep) as you're not a student for this period but you would have to have letters from your course providers to prove these dates.
Couldn't help but ask after noticing this thread. I'll be leaving my sixth form this summer and there is a 3 month gap between finishing my a levels and enrolling at uni. I'm 20 years old so my parents aren't getting tax credits/child benefit etc for me - if i still haven't found a job by then, would i be able to sign on as an absolute last resort?
Original post by sr90
Couldn't help but ask after noticing this thread. I'll be leaving my sixth form this summer and there is a 3 month gap between finishing my a levels and enrolling at uni. I'm 20 years old so my parents aren't getting tax credits/child benefit etc for me - if i still haven't found a job by then, would i be able to sign on as an absolute last resort?

Yeah you should be able to.
Reply 51
You can, but you tell them that you've left University... Once September comes, you tell them you've decided to go back to full-time education and they cut it off, simple.
Original post by gateshipone
Yeah you should be able to.

Original post by hassan90
You can, but you tell them that you've left University... Once September comes, you tell them you've decided to go back to full-time education and they cut it off, simple.

Blimey, that was fast! Thank you for clearing that up. :smile:
Reply 53
How much is jobseekers allowance a week likely to be?

Budgeting.
How much is jobseekers allowance a week likely to be?

Budgeting.

£51.85 for 18-24 year olds
£65.45 for 25+

But those numbers are due to increase slightly in the next few weeks.
Reply 55
What about household income? Or is it personal basis?
What about household income? Or is it personal basis?

Depends on which type of JSA you get. Contribution based doesn't take anything other than your NI contributions into account, income based can take into account household income (usually) if you're living with your partner.
see this is where its horrible being a self supporting student.

I have been supporting myself with limited success for the last 7 years (since 16) and was struggling to make ends meet before i started uni. Now in my second year i have had to fight to get anything because apparently living within my means and being poor means actually i was unable to support myself and must have been supported by my family.

I ended up stuck last summer as i had to move to an unfurnished place and buy furniture last year mid way through term. i struggled through summer living mostly on the charity of friends and taking unpaid festival work through the summer so i got fed. Going back to uni i tried for the hardship fund but was told as i receive full loans and grants and that they assume we (students) are supported by family and or have a job before they will consider an application i would be unable to receive help. despite the fact that i had to pay 2 months of back owed rent/bills in the first week back. I was told that as this happened in the summer this was not their look out as loans etc are only for term time.

So with the uni telling us that loans are only for academic year and the government telling us that they are to cover an calender year where exactly do we fall and has any one got any suggestions to help me, and the others like me make ends meet.

I already work freelance jobs as well as doing my (Graphic design) coursework averaging out to a 80 to 90 hour working week. (no i don't sleep much and I rarely go out.)
Reply 58
Original post by gateshipone
Depends on which type of JSA you get. Contribution based doesn't take anything other than your NI contributions into account, income based can take into account household income (usually) if you're living with your partner.

What about living with 'rents and having never contributed to NI?
What about living with 'rents and having never contributed to NI?

Well you'll have to claim income based, and chances are you'll get the full amount unless you have thousands of pounds in savings.

Latest

Trending

Trending