The Student Room Group

AQA A2 English Literature LITA3: Love Through the Ages, 6 June 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lolitaxx
does anyone know if the grade boundaries will be high??? also, i didnt read the second question and i started to talk about the music and the ambient on both extraccts and compared how the men approched to the woman to propose and then i wrote about the proposal but i also said about the rejection and Mr Headston's brutality by the rejection comparing it with Garry.... im not sure if this is relevant to the question?

Know one in the world will know about how high/medium/low the grade boundaries will be (only the examiners sort of know). What happens is that, examiners get given a mark scheme when marking papers. Once they mark papers, they enter all that stuff in a database. Then statistically, that database makes the grade boundaries on how man people did amazingly well, alright or shockingly poor. AQA officials then approve it... then it's results day... eeek.. :P

You basically answered the question literally answered it. The question was simple (going along the lines of): Explain how both items portray proposals whilst referring to your wider reading in drama and prose.
i also compared the proposals with King Lear and how the doughters declare their love to their father. Does anyone think that is relevant???? so nervous if the grade baundaries are high ! :frown:

Erm, I think that's quite an unusual thing to link it with.... You actually looked for the ambiguity of what "proposals" mean, which is a very skillful thing in my opinion. Most people would have went for the obvious marriage proposals but you went beyond that with your WR! Good job tbh. I'm quite jealous (having read King Lear) I didn't even think about this!!

Some people are saying it might be high because lots of people found the extracts "nice" (therefore a proclaiming it being "easy" extracts), therefore being high grade boundaries. Others say it won't change.
Original post by Nay94
The last line of the poem. It should of been "Love so alike, that none doe slacken, none can die" but I don't remember it being that.

You're correct. That last line was not on the poem. To be honest, it would have thrown me off if they used the original!
Reply 423
Original post by Cool_JordH
Everyone who follows AQA English Literature A does Love Through the Ages as their exam, regardless of what theme they studied last year!

Why does no one know this!! :P

Oh really? I always thought that there were way more options!!
Original post by Danni2
Oh really? I always thought that there were way more options!!

Jesus Christ, really aha? No aha. Just for AS. For A2 every A-level student of AQA A English Lit will sit the paper we just did!
Reply 425
Jesus Christ, really aha? No aha. Just for AS. For A2 every A-level student of AQA A English Lit will sit the paper we just did!

Yeah haha! That's a lot of people then! I wonder why there isn't more options!
Original post by Danni2
Yeah haha! That's a lot of people then! I wonder why there isn't more options!

Well, they are releasing their new draft specs for 2015 in 2 weeks so they might! (Aspiring to be an English teacher so I'm a nerd when it comes to exam board specs and gov/politics of Education) :colondollar:
Reply 427
Well, they are releasing their new draft specs for 2015 in 2 weeks so they might! (Aspiring to be an English teacher so I'm a nerd when it comes to exam board specs and gov/politics of Education) :colondollar:

Oh really? I think that's a good thing, Love Through The Ages wasn't my favourite! Haha, well good luck with that then!
Do you think I'll still get a few marks for my links with Shakespeare if I didn't name the sonnet I was referring to? With question one I linked it to two of Shakespeare's sonnets among other poems and I didn't name the sonnet incase I'd get them mixed up. (Thought it was better to just refer it to 'evident in Shakespeare's sonnet, than name it and get it wrong). In both my links I used quotations from the poems so the examiner will know which one I'm refering to.

Obviously, it's unlikely I'll get perfect marks, merely for that reason, but my link will still be counted, right? ;o
Original post by parawh0re
Do you think I'll still get a few marks for my links with Shakespeare if I didn't name the sonnet I was referring to? With question one I linked it to two of Shakespeare's sonnets among other poems and I didn't name the sonnet incase I'd get them mixed up. (Thought it was better to just refer it to 'evident in Shakespeare's sonnet, than name it and get it wrong). In both my links I used quotations from the poems so the examiner will know which one I'm refering to.

Obviously, it's unlikely I'll get perfect marks, merely for that reason, but my link will still be counted, right? ;o

Well someone said on here that their teacher told that class/person not to bother with writing author's name, just put the title of work you are referring too... Since you didn't do this but did the opposite, I'm sure it's still counted. As long as the quotes were pretty much spot on and related to your points and question, then I can't see no reason why they wouldn't mark it.
Know one in the world will know about how high/medium/low the grade boundaries will be (only the examiners sort of know). What happens is that, examiners get given a mark scheme when marking papers. Once they mark papers, they enter all that stuff in a database. Then statistically, that database makes the grade boundaries on how man people did amazingly well, alright or shockingly poor. AQA officials then approve it... then it's results day... eeek.. :P

You basically answered the question literally answered it. The question was simple (going along the lines of): Explain how both items portray proposals whilst referring to your wider reading in drama and prose.

I got nearly full marks in my AS coursewrok, an A on my exam and a 61/70 on my A2 coursweork this year. What do you think i need to get on this exam to get an overall A?
I got nearly full marks in my AS coursewrok, an A on my exam and a 61/70 on my A2 coursweork this year. What do you think i need to get on this exam to get an overall A?

Well I need the full marks of your AS mark and exam in order to tell you what you need to get an A...

But from what you've told me your marks: you need to get a B in your exam. Depending on what your marks were on your coursework and exam, this could vary from a high C grade to a mid B. But, you need around 85-90 UMS marks for the exam to get an A overall. So that's basically a B in the exam.
Well I need the full marks of your AS mark and exam in order to tell you what you need to get an A...

But from what you've told me your marks: you need to get a B in your exam. Depending on what your marks were on your coursework and exam, this could vary from a high C grade to a mid B. But, you need around 85-90 UMS marks for the exam to get an A overall. So that's basically a B in the exam.

I got 67/90 on my WW1 exam and 4 marks off full marks on the coursework in AS, and then 61/70 on my A2 coursework. Im really scared i won't get a B on this exam because i dont really know how the first question went and im not sure that i used technical language and staff...
I got 67/90 on my WW1 exam and 4 marks off full marks on the coursework in AS, and then 61/70 on my A2 coursework. Im really scared i won't get a B on this exam because i dont really know how the first question went and im not sure that i used technical language and staff...

You need roughly 80 UMS marks from the exam to scrap an A at A-level. This is a high C. I have no idea what the grade boundaries will be like for the exam. But you need a high C to a low B to get 320+ for an A.
You need roughly 80 UMS marks from the exam to scrap an A at A-level. This is a high C. I have no idea what the grade boundaries will be like for the exam. But you need a high C to a low B to get 320+ for an A.

Okay, im starting to feel more confident now :smile: Thank you very much for your help! hope your result for this exam also goes well :smile:
​For all you guys questioning the grade boundaries; it is highly likely that they'll put them down a bit since the removal of the January exams meaning more exams and greater levels of stress - I'm not certain, but keep this in mind. I don't think they'll make them too high merely for this reason.
Reply 436
So regarding the grade boundaries, I've been told that they set the boundaries on how what marks everybody gets.
For example, if 12% of the students got an A* but 55% got a D or lower then the boundaries would be moved down, as the exam boards have to accommodate for everyone. Also, the exam boards want schools to be with them so they are not going to be harsh unless a lot of students got really good grades. (does that make any sense? haha)

I'm praying for low boundaries, I came out of the exam nearly in tears with all my fellow students congratulating themselves of how well they did.
Reply 437
Original post by The Nightingale
I do the following plan (it has never failed to get me top grades - touch wood - but I think now that I'm doing timed conditions it's tricky to get it all in!)

Thesis: what are the texts ultimately saying?
Introduction (typically introduce with a critical quotation that sometimes challenges the central theme.)
Language 2-3 points of comparison
Perspective - 1 point of comparison
Form - 2-3 points
Structure - 2-3 points
Social/historical context: social circumstances, genre, time, gender of author.
Conclude

You seem to know what your talking about, and I'm having a go at adopting your structure. Is there any chance you could send me some exemplar material, as I'm struggling to find this online.
Thanks in advance
Molly :-)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending