The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tateco
I appreciate it's early but there has been a lot of questions being fired around and people wanting to discuss applications for 2012 so I thought I may as well make the thread. So, who's going to be applying for Economics next year and where are you aiming for?

Me hopefully! :biggrin:

Depending upon grades of course, I'll be applying for Warwick and Bristol as they both look amazing, and then perhaps Cambridge, Edinburgh and Exeter.

Just got to get 5As this summer :frown:

Where you looking into applying?
Reply 2
They sound like good choices, I'm thinking about Cambridge, LSE, Bath, Nottingham and then one more more insurancey place, preferably one thats not fussy about me having mediocre GCSEs! LSE would be my dream uni too
Reply 3
Did any of you take OCR F581 this January? How did you do?
Reply 4
UCL, Bath, Notts, Manchester/Birmingham are ones I am interested in, still looking about though

Unsure of what to do, either I aim high - cambridge, or go lower - york.

I am tempted though to go for all very very high uni's and if I don't get in, take a gap year (improve my application) and then reapply but not as high.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5
I'm guessing like everyone else, I want to aim high :P
I would love to get into Bristol, Warwick or anything along those lines. I know Cambridge, Oxford or LSE may be a bit out of my reach :P
UCL is pretty close to home so I might go there aswell if I get the grades :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by YingYang
UCL, Bath, Notts, Manchester/Birmingham

Unsure of 4th, either I aim high - cambridge, or go lower - york.

I am tempted though to go for all very very high uni's and if I don't get in, take a gap year (improve my application) and then reapply but not as high.

I have thought similarly. If I did do this I'd apply to Cambridge, LSE, UCL, Warwick, Bath.

Do you know if it is possible to do this? Do you have to apply stating that you want deferred entry or can you defer it after you get it? Also, if they reject you this first year does it put you at a disadvantage for reapplying during your gap year?
Reply 7
Original post by tateco
I have thought similarly. If I did do this I'd apply to Cambridge, LSE, UCL, Warwick, Bath.

Do you know if it is possible to do this? Do you have to apply stating that you want deferred entry or can you defer it after you get it? Also, if they reject you this first year does it put you at a disadvantage for reapplying during your gap year?

I think deferred entry is to do with taking a gap year having already got into your chosen university and accepted it. If I was to do what I had said and got all rejections first year then yeah, I would just reapply normally the next year. And I don't think there is a disadvantage, but don't take my word for this as I am not sure.
Reply 8
Original post by YingYang
I think deferred entry is to do with taking a gap year having already got into your chosen university and accepted it. If I was to do what I had said and got all rejections first year then yeah, I would just reapply normally the next year. And I don't think there is a disadvantage, but don't take my word for this as I am not sure.

Oh right okay, so what would you do if you got an offer from one of the top 5 universities but still wanted to take the gap year?
Reply 9
Original post by tateco
Oh right okay, so what would you do if you got an offer from one of the top 5 universities but still wanted to take the gap year?

Then I defer my entry to 2013. I think that's how it works. :s-smilie:
I'll be applying. Hopefully if my exams go well this year I'll go into the next UCAS cycle with an A* in Maths, Econ and Chemistry. I'm hoping that by having my final grades and not predictions I'll be considered for one of the top 5, though my GCSEs were a bit pants...

Because I'll have the year spare, I'll be taking f.maths modules and perhaps History just for the hell of it.
Good luck all.
Reply 12
Unless my AS results are freakishly bad, I will be applying to Oxford, UCL, Warwick and then two others. I'm currently pondering about York, Durham, Birmingham or LSE.

How many of you are taking further maths?
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Groat
Unless my AS results are freakishly bad, I will be applying to Oxford, UCL, Warwick and then two others. I'm currently pondering about York, Durham, Birmingham or LSE.

How many of you are taking further maths?

All of us... muahahaha :colone:

Actually, I think a lot of people are planning on taking it up at AS-Level only but I'm hoping this means I will have a slight advantage.
Reply 14
Original post by thegenius31416
All of us... muahahaha :colone:

Actually, I think a lot of people are planning on taking it up at AS-Level only but I'm hoping this means I will have a slight advantage.

I'm not sure why you gave the sneaky face, as I'm also one of those taking further maths! :tongue:

I'm definitely taking it to A2 as maths is my strength, yet I'm also continuing with five A2s so I'm preparing for a busy year.

Did any of you take Markets in Action (OCR) this January?
Reply 15
I didn't take up further maths from the start but plan to do it at AS in my second year, hoping this will be enough to get me at least considered by a top 5. What were everyone's module scores like for January?
Reply 16
I've gotten 100/100 in economics so far, all things are on course!
Reply 17
Original post by Vav123
I do further maths too :biggrin:

This jan i got 98/100 in critical thinking unit 1 and 111/120 in A2 bio unit 4

I done AS maths and bio last year got 280/300 in maths and 263/300 in bio our school only lets us do exams in June except critical thinking and biology i done externally.

I don't understand why schools do that, very strange... I did pretty well in January too, got 100% UMS in biology and maths and 96% and 93% in economics and chemistry :P
Applying in this stream!
Reply 19
anyone applying who hasn't taken economics A level?

Latest

Trending

Trending