The Student Room Group

2012 - veterinary re-applicants

Hey guys :smile:

I know how awesome the thread was for 2011 apps and how much we all helped each other! This is for those of us that didn't quite make it but are trying again this year!!

Would be great to know whose in the same boat/ what everyone is doing on gap years etc, and then of course the application/interview process etc. So post post post :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'll start off :smile:

Sarah - 2nd time app

Applying to Liverpool, Bristol, and haven't decided the last 2 yet!

Not quite sure what I'm doing on my gap year... hoping to go to aus from april onwards but depends on funding!!
Reply 2
I'm Jo. :smile:
This will officially be my third application but only my second realistic one. :tongue: I'm applying to Glasgow and hopefully Edinburgh if I can straighten some things out with them. With the current fees situation I can't afford to go anywhere else. I have plenty planned this year, I'm completely booked up until September when I plan to take a break to get the app sorted. Then hopefully get a job and do some more experience. :biggrin: And that's pretty much it for me. :smile:
Hi everybody.
This is my 3rd application but as Marley its my second realistic one :smile:..... Im applying to:
Edinburgh, Bristol, Liverpool and either Glasgow or RVC :smile:
I had 0 interviews on my first app and 2 interviews on my 2nd app.. hence this being my 2nd realistic one :biggrin:
I am gonna keep working, and then in my spare time continue to work on the dairy farm :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 4
I'm considering applying to Glasgow, but I'm from waaaay down south (Surrey) so apparently they aren't too keen on us? Have either of you guys visited? What's it like?
Reply 5
Original post by Irishguy2K10
Hi everybody.
This is my 3rd application but as Marley its my second realistic one :smile:..... Im applying to:
Edinburgh, Bristol, Liverpool and either Glasgow or RVC :smile:
I had 0 interviews on my first app and 2 interviews on my 2nd app.. hence this being my 2nd realistic one :biggrin:
I am gonna keep working, and then in my spare time continue to work on the dairy farm :smile:

:yep:
Original post by dol:)

[QUOTE=dol[excludedFace]smile[/excludedFace];30618716]I'm considering applying to Glasgow, but I'm from waaaay down south (Surrey) so apparently they aren't too keen on us? Have either of you guys visited? What's it like?

I've never seen Glasgow, but was considering applying there. The thing is, they only interview 200 people... compared to the likes of RVC who interview around 400-500. So I will need to think about this. :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by dol:)
I'm considering applying to Glasgow, but I'm from waaaay down south (Surrey) so apparently they aren't too keen on us? Have either of you guys visited? What's it like?

Not at all, I found Glasgow to be far more friendly and accommodating than Edinburgh and it's definitely my first choice. I got shown around on my interview day and I absolutely loved it. I was at first put off because Glasgow isn't known for being one of the nicest cities on the world but Garscube Estate is in Bearsden, one of the posher areas of Glasgow. :tongue: It really is fantastic though, the scenery was great, you wouldn't have known you were in the city. They have catered accommodation just a few minutes away from the school as well so that's quite handy (although it is a bit pricey). They keep some livestock on site as well, they have more info about that on their website. I would have a look at the university one as well as their site for the hospital which the public can look at in the event that they need to take their animals there, it gives a bit more info on the facilities. The new hospital was lovely, a bit modern and minimalist for my taste but it worked in a way, it wasn't too stark and silent. I was especially impressed by the consulting rooms, the entire back wall was made of glass and looked out onto fields and trees etc so all the natural lighting and veiws of outdoors really made you relax. It also helped keep the animals calm apparently (which was the whole point :tongue:) The admissions staff have been so patient with me, and helpful too, and gave me very specific and detailed feedback and are going above and beyond in helping me get in next year which is more than I can say for Edinburgh (which is a shame because it's a lovely school too). The staff seem to be very friendly and genuinely want to see you do well. Of all the students I've met from there, only one has been Scottish so I really don't think there's prejudice. And every single one of them adores the university and are very proud of it. Sorry for the massive comment, as you can see I quite like Glasgow. :biggrin:
Reply 8
I've never seen Glasgow, but was considering applying there. The thing is, they only interview 200 people... compared to the likes of RVC who interview around 400-500. So I will need to think about this. :smile:

When I spoke to one of the admissions people at RVC they said basically if you get an interview you are practically in already as long as you don't screw up... not sure how true that is. I'm hesitant to apply there as it is so so close to my home town.
hellooo! probs met you all on the 2011 apps thread but anyhoo:

Ruby
2nd time applicant
will probs apply to:
notts
bristol
and then not sure..... :smile:

let's show the unis what a big mistake they made not letting us in this year!! :biggrin:
Original post by rubyworldwide

hellooo! probs met you all on the 2011 apps thread but anyhoo:

Ruby
2nd time applicant
will probs apply to:
notts
bristol
and then not sure..... :smile:

let's show the unis what a big mistake they made not letting us in this year!! :biggrin:

Hii Ruby, sorry to hear about Liverpool.
U say ur reapplying to notts.... I did and they rejected me without an interview.. they arent very good with reapps :smile:
Reply 11
Hey everyone :smile:
I'm also re-applying for 2012!
Had an interview at liverpool last Jan but got my rejection yesterday... :frown:
Whats everyone planning to do in the next year?
Reply 12
Hi, I'm Nicole :smile:

This is my second app but first realistic one. Last year I applied with next to no experience and no grades in chem or bio, wasn't expecting much :tongue: Going to apply to Glasgow, Edinburgh and Notts for sure. For the last place it's a toss up between Notts and Liv but I think I'm leaning more towards Notts. For the fifth option going to apply to Physiotherapy, mainly to keep my family happy as Im sure I'd try again if I didn't get in this time round!

Going to get as much work experience as possible, work in the evenings, fundraise and study until September. After that, South Africa for a month, more work experience, apply and then more work experience and working :smile: Veeeeery excited about the gap year :biggrin:
Reply 13
Original post by totallyme
Hi, I'm Nicole :smile:

This is my second app but first realistic one. Last year I applied with next to no experience and no grades in chem or bio, wasn't expecting much :tongue: Going to apply to Glasgow, Edinburgh and Notts for sure. For the last place it's a toss up between Notts and Liv but I think I'm leaning more towards Notts. For the fifth option going to apply to Physiotherapy, mainly to keep my family happy as Im sure I'd try again if I didn't get in this time round!

Going to get as much work experience as possible, work in the evenings, fundraise and study until September. After that, South Africa for a month, more work experience, apply and then more work experience and working :smile: Veeeeery excited about the gap year :biggrin:

you can't apply to nottingham twice in one application... :wink:
Reply 14
U say ur reapplying to notts.... I did and they rejected me without an interview.. they arent very good with reapps :smile:

I wish i could re-apply to notts :frown: but i had an interview this year so they won't look at me! damn!! seems so unfair really!! I loved it there, but I guess it wasn't meant to be!
Reply 15
Original post by schizopear
you can't apply to nottingham twice in one application... :wink:

Hahaha I've been out all day shopping - it's obviously worn me out! :tongue: I meant to say RVC instead of Notts that I'm sure I'm applying too.

hi Ryan! :smile:
yeah i've heard that. they are my top choice though so i'll give it another go :wink:

hi Ryan! :smile:
yeah i've heard that. they are my top choice though so i'll give it another go :wink:

Yeah, may aswell give it a shot :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by jayy...(:

I'm also re-applying for 2012!
Had an interview at liverpool last Jan but got my rejection yesterday... :frown:
Whats everyone planning to do in the next year?

me too! I'm hoping to get some work at a local dairy farm or if not at a local pig farm. I also want to get some work experience with animal charities :smile:

Askham Bryan college near york also does a short 2 day course on administering veterinary medicines, does anyone think that it would be a worthwhile thing to do? After all it is free!!
Reply 19
Original post by Bonfield
me too! I'm hoping to get some work at a local dairy farm or if not at a local pig farm. I also want to get some work experience with animal charities :smile:

Askham Bryan college near york also does a short 2 day course on administering veterinary medicines, does anyone think that it would be a worthwhile thing to do? After all it is free!!

I'm sure it would be :smile: my aunt works up in cambridge, so I'm thinking about going and doing some lab work with her... to get perspective on other sides of vet med.

Also I'm struggling to get large animal vet w/e, does anyone know anywhere that does it? as i'm on a gap year i don't really mind if it is far away as I have time to travel now :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest