The Student Room Group

Is Geology for me?

I have always been interested in Geography, mainly geology since - really like rocks, minerals and petroleum. However I've never really liked math, I can tolerate maths if its for a purpose such as finding a Spearmans rank and such, but I have always dislike Pure Mathematics since they simply don't make sense for me.

I'm currently doing the IB diploma and getting mostly 5s and 6s. I am doing my exams next year. My subjects are:
English A1 Higher
Geography Higher
History Higher
Chemistry Standard
Spanish A2 standard
Math studies

I recently have found out about Petroleum Geology and It seems really interested as you see both rocks, petroleum and minerals. But I was thinking if this was for me since I read that you need math, physics and chem.

Firstly do you think its possible I could be accepted into any good geological program with my subjects, specifically Petroleum Geology?

Secondly do you believe that the math, physics and chem for Petroleum Geology is hard for someone who isn't very good at maths.

Thirdly what are some good universities to go to Petroleum Geology and what are their requirements?

Finally I was also thinking about the future of the career as there is a limit to the petroleum we have left and lots of people are now looking at alternative methods of energy which means when one is found it will replace the petroleum industry making the degree almost worthless?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1
I wanted to do Petroleum Geology as well and during my research, I learnt that Geological/Earth Sciences courses are very competitive especially at top universities and a Professor at Aberdeen told me that Maths really helped and is preferred.

Aberdeen is really good for Petroleum Geology and they prefer you to have sciences like Chemistry, Maths and Physics. They also classify Geography and Psychology as science subjects.
Well, for a good petroleum university I'd very much recommend Southampton. I'm a geologist there (just graduated as an undergrad) and whilst petroleum isn't my personal preference, we recently sent a team of 5 students out to the US and came second in the world in the AAPG (American Ass. of Petroleum Geologists) Imperial Barrel Award. It is very strong for petroleum, and if you do the 4-year Masters (which is all undergrad, so no worries about funding), you'd have plenty of opportunity to focus solely on it in your final year.

As to your subjects, I think you'd need to contact the unis you're interested in directly. Whilst the science and maths side isn't huge, there's no pure maths for instance, you do need some basic skills.

Like you I also did the IB, and I had Geography and two sciences at HL and I did the middle Maths one (not studies, the one above it). I think the fact you only have one science, and maths, at SL may let you down, so they may ask you for higher grades in those than usual, but as I say, it's best to contact them direct.
And also, if you do struggle to find unis that will accept you, I'd recommend looking at foundation courses :smile:
Original post by Mo_H92
I wanted to do Petroleum Geology as well and during my research, I learnt that Geological/Earth Sciences courses are very competitive especially at top universities and a Professor at Aberdeen told me that Maths really helped and is preferred.

Aberdeen is really good for Petroleum Geology and they prefer you to have sciences like Chemistry, Maths and Physics. They also classify Geography and Psychology as science subjects.

Why the frick did you neg me for my post?
Reply 5
Thanks lil Piranha but I was wondering if any university would accept me with Math Studies as its supposed to be for students who are interested outside the field of Mathematics and while Geology doesn't use as much math as say engineering it still seems important
Why yes, if you're a down to earth person. :hat:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending