The Student Room Group

Language applicants for 2012 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by -raisa

My statement is too long too :frown:

Even though I'm still about 200 characters until the limit, I don't know why but I'm 4 lines over the 47 line limit!!

I don't even know what I could delete from it! It's all relevent and important... I hope my tutor knows when I ask him... xD
Original post by Kaylaleigh
Mine is too long D: 1500 characters too long....

Aww :frown: Mine was but now its 4900...only 900 left!!! :s-smilie:
I managed to ger rid of 300 characters by just altering sentences around....try that... :smile:
Then i just deleted some irrelevant stuff...
Hey guys,

Does anyone know whether languages are unpopular or undersubscribed in general? :smile:
Reply 923
Original post by Strüberry
Hey guys,

Does anyone know whether languages are unpopular or undersubscribed in general? :smile:

They're undersubscribed compared to most subjects, but it depends on the language too. French is the most subscribed, but I think it's still less subscribed than other subjects.
Original post by Lewis :D
They're undersubscribed compared to most subjects, but it depends on the language too. French is the most subscribed, but I think it's still less subscribed than other subjects.

Aw, that sucks for French. Typical for my subject to be the most popular :colonhash:

Dunno...I'm in that panic of thinking I won't get an offer judging by TSR grade standards. >.<
Reply 925
Original post by Strüberry
Aw, that sucks for French. Typical for my subject to be the most popular :colonhash:

Dunno...I'm in that panic of thinking I won't get an offer judging by TSR grade standards. &gt;.&lt;

I'm thinking the same to be honest :frown:, but TSR probably has the best students applying, as we/they have taken the initiative to join a student site to further our studies and to get the best help etc. if you catch my flow :smile:
Original post by Lewis :D
I'm thinking the same to be honest :frown:, but TSR probably has the best students applying, as we/they have taken the initiative to join a student site to further our studies and to get the best help etc. if you catch my flow :smile:

Yeah that's true. I actualky saw someone asking whether an already achieved A*A*A* was enough to reapply with! :sad:

Oh well....at least it gives us incentive to do better and separate ourselves from our bastard competition. :|
Languages are no way near oversubscribed, believe me. Get decent A levels and you'll get a good place at a good uni without too much stress. If some of the thickies on my course got on I'm sure you guys can!! Hehe :p:
Reply 928
I don't even know what I could delete from it! It's all relevent and important... I hope my tutor knows when I ask him... xD

same! I feel like I've already cut out A LOT of information (there was one point when I was at ~5000 characters!) and there's nothing more I can do.

& unfortunately, being an international, no one at my school can help me deal with PS's!
Reply 929
German is my language just before anyone asks :wink:

our sixth form made us have a draft of the personal statement before we broke up for summer.
I've come back and done loads of drafts and hopefully (fingers crossed) I should get it back for corrections one last time.

I found it really hard doing the 80%/20% split that they reccomend for language students. Just felt like i was blabbing on about how much i love the language and the literature and helping out in year 7 classes, but if that's what gets me a place at Uni - then oh well.

My favourites are Surrey, Cardiff, Kent, Nottingham and one other which is a mix up of loads. Not like the likes of Cambridge, Oxford and St Andrews but still gonna get me a degree.
Anyone got any suggestions of unis with ABB-BBB entry requirements to do German single honours?
Original post by willz1208
German is my language just before anyone asks :wink:

our sixth form made us have a draft of the personal statement before we broke up for summer.
I've come back and done loads of drafts and hopefully (fingers crossed) I should get it back for corrections one last time.

I found it really hard doing the 80%/20% split that they reccomend for language students. Just felt like i was blabbing on about how much i love the language and the literature and helping out in year 7 classes, but if that's what gets me a place at Uni - then oh well.

My favourites are Surrey, Cardiff, Kent, Nottingham and one other which is a mix up of loads. Not like the likes of Cambridge, Oxford and St Andrews but still gonna get me a degree.
Anyone got any suggestions of unis with ABB-BBB entry requirements to do German single honours?

Have you considered the UEA? They do german single honours :smile: and the requirements are ABB-BBB
Original post by Roxas
Uhm, I could possibly be in the entirely wrong thread, and if that's the case... I apologize in advance! :biggrin:

So, I want to study Chinese at University as I have a soft spot in my heart for the culture and language itself, hence why I came to the foreign language section. However everyone seems to be focussing entirely on european languages? I was wondering if studying a non-european language is that unusual, or it just happens to be a European gathering on this thread?

Alot of you talk about background reading for the subject you want to major in.. I want to Major in Chinese studies and minor in management/economics/business of some sort, so what should I be reading as background?

Here are my other worries.

1) I don't study Chinese currently, but I think that's okay because most places want beginners (E.G Sheffiel, my top university at the moment!)
2) I don't study business/management/economics and I think this will be my downfall, although it seems that a few universities want an A in GCSE maths which I have, I do not have AS/A2 maths at all, so i'm worrying quite a bit.
3) I initially had never planned to do Chinese, my AS subjects being Chemistry, Biology, Environmental Studies and English Literature, as I had wanted to go into Zoology or some such degree. I feel like my subjects don't really match what I want to do, but I am taking good A levels (e.g not film/media studies etc) so I am hoping that they won't mind this and let me crossover from Science to non Science?
4) I got really bad GCSE's partly due to myself being lazy, and then alot of personal issues distracting from my studies, I am really worried about this as all of you guys are amazing.. 7A*'s and stuff like that... I didn't get any A*'s so I feel like maybe I can't get in to any University at all.

So, if anyone could maybe reassure me on any of those points that would be wonderful.

Also, is there anyone else who was planning on studying chinese in 2012? It would be nice to have someone to chat to!

I'm looking to do Chinese and Japanese at uni, starting in 2012 so here's some tips. They don't usually mind if you haven't previously studied Chinese-you'll get up to speed quickly enough.

Unless they dictate subjects they want, the A levels you've taken shouldn't be a problem-you only need to get the grades. The A Levels you're taking are well respected, so they won't reject you straight off of that. Try and tie in the skills you've learnt from them to the uni course. That's likely to impress.

Also, unless they state certain GCSE grades, they aren't usually a problem, not unless you got all Us. :smile: If you want to make it sound more positive in your PS and any potential interviews, maybe say despite this issues you managed to keep to your studies, ultimately getting your GCSEs. Sometimes they can be a bit more leniant with such cases. If they've been serious, you could possibly apply through Access courses (I know Leeds does one, which offers you lower grades if your success may have been affected by external issues).

Hope this helps
Have you considered the UEA? They do german single honours :smile: and the requirements are ABB-BBB

I looked at UEA for german and couldnt find it! All I could find was french, japanese and spanish!
Original post by willz1208

I found it really hard doing the 80%/20% split that they reccomend for language students.

What's this? :confused:
Original post by such_a_lady
Thanks for starting this!

Username: such_a_lady
GCSEs: 13 A*s
AS Levels: Maths (A), German, Spanish, Eng Lit, Eng Lang
Course: German and Spanish, RR24
Unis of choice (for now, anyway): Oxford, St Andrew's, Edinburgh, Durham, Bath

I personally believe there are so few linguists around that we should all stick together :biggrin:

I am also applying to Oxford, Durham and Bath but to do Spanish and French- Good luck wherever you end up!
Reply 935
A small question here, but I'm sure a few months or so ago on this thread somebody had posted a spreadsheet of Uni's that they had visited and wanted to apply to. In the spreadsheet they ranked the uni's in their order of preference. But now there is 48 pages on this thread so I can't find it very easily! Can anybody help me? :smile:
Original post by Millymoo
A small question here, but I'm sure a few months or so ago on this thread somebody had posted a spreadsheet of Uni's that they had visited and wanted to apply to. In the spreadsheet they ranked the uni's in their order of preference. But now there is 48 pages on this thread so I can't find it very easily! Can anybody help me? :smile:

I'm pretty sure that's such_a_lady's amazing spreadsheet you're looking for :smile: I just tried to find it with no avail.

I can post my spreadsheet here in the meantime?

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=84c80bedef3ad0c6&Bsrc=Docmail&Bpub=SDX.Docs&id=84C80BEDEF3AD0C6%21150#!/view.aspx?cid=84C80BEDEF3AD0C6&resid=84C80BEDEF3AD0C6%21151

NB: These are only my personal opinions/impressions of the Unis I visited, I do not intend to offend anyone by saying I don't link a Uni they do; we all have different course preferences :smile:
Reply 937
Original post by Banoffeepie16
I'm pretty sure that's such_a_lady's amazing spreadsheet you're looking for :smile: I just tried to find it with no avail.

I can post my spreadsheet here in the meantime?

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=84c80bedef3ad0c6&amp;Bsrc=Docmail&amp;Bpub=SDX.Docs&amp;id=84C80BEDEF3AD0C6%21150#!/view.aspx?cid=84C80BEDEF3AD0C6&amp;resid=84C80BEDEF3AD0C6%21151

NB: These are only my personal opinions/impressions of the Unis I visited, I do not intend to offend anyone by saying I don't link a Uni they do; we all have different course preferences :smile:

It won't let me look :frown:
Glad I'm not the only one with a spreadsheet/table! x3
Need a 5th choice for French & Portuguese, one of the following: Manchester, Birmingham, Southampton, Bristol. Any recommendations? I've heard Bristol's language department is quite poor (with very few contact hours) but I don't want to make any presumptions.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending