The Student Room Group

The Manchester City Society II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Karma Charger
As far as I'm aware it was only for the 2nd goal that Clattenburg made a mistake. So it's a bit harsh just to blame him. Who's to say Fulham would've gotten an equaliser anyway?

Well no-one can say that for certain but I have confidence in it. I mean they weren't constantly breaking us down, they just got a lucky deflection as a result of a poor refs decision.

And of course we should have put the game beyond doubt; which we have done in most of the previous 4. But you can't win every game by 2+ goals just incase the refs cock up. By my money the decisions yesterday have left us 2 points behind when we should be 2 points ahead, that's a difference of 4. We'll see if this gets evened up over the course of a season :rolleyes:.
Original post by Karma Charger
Not really sure where you are coming from... Can you expand?

Small minded English attitude to an Italian coach and he doesn't watch us enough to get over his pre-conceptions.
Reply 2062
Original post by warwickorbristol
Well no-one can say that for certain but I have confidence in it. I mean they weren't constantly breaking us down, they just got a lucky deflection as a result of a poor refs decision.

And of course we should have put the game beyond doubt; which we have done in most of the previous 4. But you can't win every game by 2+ goals just incase the refs cock up. By my money the decisions yesterday have left us 2 points behind when we should be 2 points ahead, that's a difference of 4. We'll see if this gets evened up over the course of a season :rolleyes:.

You can't just take a goal off the scoreline and assume that's how the match finishes. We'd play the match at 1-1 completely differently to what we did at 3-1. Our defence might be more switched on instead of thinking the job was done, Torres might have never found the space to score. Our midfield might have closed down with more urgency. Because we had the 2/3 goal cushion our tactics were to turn it into a basketball match and react to whoever scored next, odds are it would have been us because our attack is so much better. Rooney's penalty, Rooney hitting the post, Chica hitting the side netting from the 6 yard box, Berba missing his chance, all might have been different if there was more pressure on them. The fact no one scored was a minor miracle, but you have to recognise it was a completely different game because the mistakes had already happened. And if you send Ashley Cole off what happens then? The best side in the world at applying a direct style to exert pressure on the defence, containing players full of confidence, against 10 men? With almost 20 minutes to go i'd fancy our chances even at 1-1. We score loads of late goals and it's not 'luck'.

I appreciate your situation is a bit different because the goal was late, but even then you had 15 minutes plus added time to go and score another. And as has been said Fulham might have scored anyway, by your method you're robbing them of quarter of an hour to score a goal. What you should be asking is why you allowed the cross into your area, why Zamora got their first, why you had so many players back but no one at the edge of the box to close down a shot. Fouls not being given around the halfway line are extremely common, you're only talking about them if you fail to address the problem that arises. Contrary to popular opinion we do get decisions against us. But take your incident yesterday. It's more likely that either; Evra closes down the cross, Vidic beats Zamora to the ball, someone gets a block in, or we score a late goal to win the match. That's because Evra's better than Clichy, Vidic is better than any of your CBs (not sure who was marking Zamora), and we're better at scoring late.

That's why we win titles.
It's more likely Rooney would've won the foul than Dzeko because he'd go down making a bigger deal of it and the ref would cave in to it knowing in the back of his mind he'd get a SAF backlash if he didn't, like Dowd is getting now for the Cole incident. And don't give me any *******s about how you would've won the game, last season you got the exact same result so kindly pipe down. The fact fouls around the half way line aren't given just adds to the referees general ineptitude.

The rest is just you ranting on about possibilities. Chelsea missed a lot of chances too and I don't talk about them. As I said before, the only things we can be certain of are;
- The move that led to their second was a direct result of an inept decision from a corrupt referee
- Your two opening goals were off side and even you wouldn't dispute the importance of a 2 goal lead in such a tight match
Reply 2064
No we didn't get the same result. A Man Utd team got the same result, but it's nothing like the side that we have today. We had Evans off form, Rooney (this is the main thing), Nani and Young not starting, Hernandez still emerging, no Jones, no Smalling, different style. Our away record was dreadful as well, we've won 2 out of 2 so far including a 5-0 win. Completely different team, we're miles better now. Not saying we'd be guaranteed a win, but using a result from last year to say what'll happen this year makes very little sense when you consider how much has changed. Fulham are different as well, Hughes' organisation has gone and Jol is still making his mark.

Yes i'm 'ranting' about possibilities, but watch these possibilities become truths by the end of the season. My point is that you need to look at how a side takes advantage, or makes up for, these mistakes. A winger being marginally offside 30 yards from goal will happen countless times over the season. But how often will they beat two players and smash it in from 25 yards? The reason you're talking about the mistake is the quality of our players. I'm not arguing that referees aren't useless, because a lot of them are, but they're not putting the ball in the net themselves.

Your second paragraph I agree with. That's all we can be certain of. So I don't see how you can say you're 2 points down and we're 2 points up purely because of the referee? Not with such conviction. You said it yourself, you can't be certain the matches would have finished like that if the correct decisions were made.
Ok I can't say it with absolute conviction that there would be 4 points difference. But if Aguero's offside goal was allowed to stand I am 99% sure we would have won all 3 points, if their goal was rightly disallowed I am 75% sure we would have gone on to win all 3 points, if Smalling's goal didn't stand you may not have gone on to win the game. These things add up to me being justified in my grievance that referees have cost us ground on you and at the end of the season that will be the difference between who wins the league.

What did you have to make up for exactly? You're a side that suits being in the lead and you were wrongly gifted the lead. I've acknowledged that if we want to win the league we're going to have to be a lot better than you to make up for these inept refs, you don't need to tell me that.
So, anyone betting against the usual defeat to Everton? Already steeling myself for the hysterical tabloid guff about the 'Collapse of City's Title Challenge'.
Hart, Richards, Lescott, Kompany, Clichy, Barry, Yaya, Nasri, Silva, Aguero, Dzeko

No real surprises.
Reply 2068
Hat-trick for Dzeko today (and/or Tim Cahill :tongue:)
Reply 2069
Hoping for an Aguero brace.

Can see a Moyes Mancini bust up again :teehee:
Glad we won today, after the Fulham game I kinda felt we dropped back to par for the course. But with todays result it feels like we've negotiated two tough games where we normally drop points (Spurs and Everton) and came out with all 6 points. Just makes it such a shame we dropped points at Fulham.

Anyway, I thought we were pretty poor today. Aguero and Dzeko had a few half chances and long shots which should have resulted in atleast one goal. We didn't create a single clear cut chance for 70 minutes. I don't think we can just draw a line under this, we had similar problems against Napoli and they need to be addressed.

Balo continues his habit of turning up when we need him most though :smile: I'd defo start him against Bayern.

Edit: just realised he's still banned the idiot :colonhash:. Also the standard of the league this year is so so poor.
(edited 12 years ago)
Good luck tonight guys. One day I'll be watching our boys in the Allianz Arena, but for now it's your turn and I'm content with Shamrock Rovers :p:
We're so so ****ed tonight. Tbf though it's worth rolling the dice rather than a futile bus parking without the driver (De Jong). With him out and Balo banned I don't think we ever had a chance.

Looking forward though, we'll get Bayern when they'll probably already have qualified so should be able to pick up a solid 3 points at home. So if we get 2 wins we'll qualify. I'm not exactly confident but it's still possible.
Reply 2073
Second looked offside. Understandable why Hart is angry though, he is having a very good game (except for looking slightly jittery a couple of times in possession).
Aye he looked offside when it was delivered and when that guy headed it on. Plus Silva's penalty shout and I'm not at all happy.
Would like City do well as a British side, their squad is capable of going far, shame they are incapable of defending though.
Reply 2076

Aye he looked offside when it was delivered and when that guy headed it on. Plus Silva's penalty shout and I'm not at all happy.

Tbf the Ribery one is a very clear penalty so City were let off there (I don't remember the Silva one though :beard: Wasn't there a case for Richards to be given a penalty at some point?).
To be fair we only have 5 players capable of a tackle on the pitch. We're ridiculously exposed.

But it wouldn't matter if the refs just got their fecking decisions right, I mean there's 5 of them ffs.

Original post by Mess.
Tbf the Ribery one is a very clear penalty so City were let off there (I don't remember the Silva one though :beard: Wasn't there a case for Richards to be given a penalty at some point?).

Ye. Richards got took out by Boateng and Silva got took out, but the ball was still in play and he managed to get up and play on.
(edited 12 years ago)
Silvas and Riberys penalties were pretty clear, but it was obvious that a normal ref wouldn´t give Toure´s. The way he fell wasn´t justifiable with that little contact, strictly looking at the rules it´s a penalty, but I´d say 90% of Premiership refs wouldn´t give it.
Annoying scoreline, as we haven't especially been outclassed tonight. Slipshod defending though, Hart completely unsupported for both goals. We badly, badly need to qualify from this group, if only to avoid dropping into the Europa League.

Quick Reply

Latest