The Student Room Group
Staffordshire University
Stoke-on-Trent
Visit website

Internet Question?

Hey guys Im planning on starting at Stafford next September and I have read about only being able to have one pc at a time connected to the network in the accomodation. I was wondering whether there would be any way to connect both of my pcs at the same time as I need them both to be connected to the internet as they have entirely seperate uses. Any way I can do this?
Thanks.
As far as I'm aware (Not been in halls for two years) it's the one wired connection at a time policy. But I'm sure if you explained to IT services about your needs they might provide you with a splitter.
Staffordshire University
Stoke-on-Trent
Visit website
Reply 2
Only 1 device at a time however you can have 2 registered so you can unplug 1 and plug the other one in, however if they need to be at the same time then your best bet is just to use a router and register that MAC address with the IT people.

They won't provide a splitter, and if you start mentioning anything they're more likely to ask questions so just install a router and job done, please however ensure it doesn't send data back such as routing data (in other words make sure it's set up properly or ask a friend for help :smile: If they realise you're running a router (because you're pushing routing data back) then they'll lock your port.

I lived in halls for 3 years as I was a warden for 2 and I had a router all 3 years and know numerous others that do, and I also know the policies about whether the IT people can walk around with WiFi scanners and what rights they have etc, and needless to say they have no chance of catching you that way :wink:
Yeah is only one device at a time with think maximum of 3 being able to be registered to the room. If you really want to connect more than one computer at a time maybe go wireless but you need to be careful about it as is against the policy or something, or get some sort of splitter which allows more than one device to be connected at one time
Reply 4
One thing I've heard mentioned is that you can set up an adhoc connection, but doesn't creating a network bridge get you auto banned from the network?
Reply 5
If you do something "invisible" on your port, e.g. just like you do at home with a router then it's fine, if you set up your router wrong and it tries to relay network information back to the port then you will have issues, and network bridges would be "invisible" on the resnet port.

Your port will get turned off automatically for a number of things:
1) A report coming in of you downloading illegal files (although I believe this is still a very manual process for IT services.
2) Plugging in devices that are not registered.
3) Apparently changing your port to use full duplex although I haven't seen this happen.

You'll be fine at uni, the internet isn't worth worrying about :smile:
I am applying to staffs and wonder if i can pay for my own internet connection like some other halls? if not i may go private accommodation, a good internet connection is a massive part of my learning and standard speeds just wont work:biggrin: after all the drinking you don't want the internet slowing down your only time to work.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7
Deadlights12 it's a connection provided by Resnet (JANET network) and you can't get your own sorry.

What do you need the internet for ? I don't think any "work" requires massively high speed?
Reply 8
No matter how you setup the internet here sucks, it struggles to stream things like 4od, and constant disconnects if you try to surf on your PC whilst playing xbox live for example. But I found the easiest way to connect multiple devices was to use a switch board.
that's the problem i am generally quite a high internet user and when i was at my friends halls it was unusable(different university)
Reply 10
The internet is under reform, a new line and setup was supposed to be in for September just gone but there were contractual issues getting it in, they're hoping to bring a new fibre line through still for this year so fingers crossed.
Reply 11
http://www.connectify.me/ is pretty good if you wanted to set up a WiFi hotspot on one laptop and use the other from it, although I don't know if you'll be allowed to do that. (Nobody's stopped me so far, but I'm not at Staffordshire :tongue:)
Original post by kerily
http://www.connectify.me/ is pretty good if you wanted to set up a WiFi hotspot on one laptop and use the other from it, although I don't know if you'll be allowed to do that. (Nobody's stopped me so far, but I'm not at Staffordshire :tongue:)

One of my friend's got kicked off the internet for that. The weird thing is you're not allowed a wireless router, or a router for that matter and router MAC addresses can be spoofed/cloned which keeps you away from the IT guys, but he got done for having a connectify hotspot, even though he's torrented a load of stuff on the network
Reply 13
he probably got done for the torrenting then and is just lying to you to save face.
Hmmm....this worries me now. Is the internet connection there really that bad? I mean I don't really want it to get in the way of my work or just general internet surfing....

Also, when I'm at home I nearly always have my pc/laptop on whilst on the xbox at the same time, plus sometimes I have my phone connected to the internet too. Therefore meaning that I sometimes use a max of 3 devices at a time. It's usually just the two but I guess I'll just have to get used to using one at a time then. Do most universities only allow one device at a time and don't allow wireless within accomodation? How come they don't allow wireless anyway? Is it because they might find it harder to monitor what we're doing on the internet? Do atleast the libraries and other working areas have wireless so I could just go there to do work with my laptop?

So many questions... xD
Original post by volmasoft
he probably got done for the torrenting then and is just lying to you to save face.

Nah, they only really monitor you if you hog the bandwidth, though personally I've found no need to torrent any thing.

The connectify hotspot has it's own MAC address, or the IT guys say he got done for having a wireless router, instead of saying he got done for torrenting because it's easier paperwork

Original post by oElectronic
Hmmm....this worries me now. Is the internet connection there really that bad? I mean I don't really want it to get in the way of my work or just general internet surfing....

Also, when I'm at home I nearly always have my pc/laptop on whilst on the xbox at the same time, plus sometimes I have my phone connected to the internet too. Therefore meaning that I sometimes use a max of 3 devices at a time. It's usually just the two but I guess I'll just have to get used to using one at a time then. Do most universities only allow one device at a time and don't allow wireless within accomodation? How come they don't allow wireless anyway? Is it because they might find it harder to monitor what we're doing on the internet? Do atleast the libraries and other working areas have wireless so I could just go there to do work with my laptop?

So many questions... xD

You won't get wireless in the halls so you can't use your mobile phone in the halls via wifi (though you can outside halls)

The internet is not that bad tbf, and you can still do with your laptop and your xbox
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by oElectronic

So many questions... xD

Library internet is brilliant. You can download a 5gig torrent in like 2 hours.
Reply 17
The halls shold have an ask4 connection in time for the september intake

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending