The Student Room Group

The Literary Society

Scroll to see replies

if you never read another book make sure you read Ghostwritten by David Mitchell

mind = blown
Original post by the bear
if you never read another book make sure you read Ghostwritten by David Mitchell

mind = blown

I'm hoping to start reading some David Mitchell soon (never read any before). Have you read any of his others?
Original post by DebatingGreg
I'm hoping to start reading some David Mitchell soon (never read any before). Have you read any of his others?

i read in this order:

Cloud atlas

1000 autumns

Black swan green

Number9dream

Ghostwritten

I would recommend the following order:

1000 Autumns

then Norwegian Wood by Murakami

then ghostwritten

then number9dream

then Cloud Atlas

and finally Black Swan Green
Original post by the bear
i read in this order:

Cloud atlas

1000 autumns

Black swan green

Number9dream

Ghostwritten

I would recommend the following order:

1000 Autumns

then Norwegian Wood by Murakami

then ghostwritten

then number9dream

then Cloud Atlas

and finally Black Swan Green

Thanks, was looking forward to reading Norwegian Wood as well so I get a double win :colone:

He graduated from my uni :tongue:

On topic: I've never read any Mitchell, but I'd also love to. Cloud Atlas from what I've heard seems like the kind of book I'd really enjoy.
Thanks, was looking forward to reading Norwegian Wood as well so I get a double win :colone:

i feel totally envious ...
they have made me start learning japanese
:eek:

I've read One Day, which was pretty good, and Starter For Ten which is incredibly funny- I'd definitely reccomend it.

Original post by Aleandcynicism
Started reading Ceremony by Leslie Marmon Silko today. Bit early to judge the book, but I like what I've read so far.

Anyone have any opinions on The Book Thief by Markus Zusak? My Mum gave me her copy when I went home recently and she loved it. It looks really interesting.

The Book Thief is AMAZING. I read it last year and I absolutely loved it, it's one of the best books I've read. It seriously made me cry though.
Original post by riotgrrl
I've read One Day, which was pretty good, and Starter For Ten which is incredibly funny- I'd definitely reccomend it.

The Book Thief is AMAZING. I read it last year and I absolutely loved it, it's one of the best books I've read. It seriously made me cry though.

Isn't it David Nicholls who wrote One Day, not David Mitchell?
Original post by riotgrrl

Sounds like a seriously good book :smile: I'll definitely give it a read when I get the time.
Isn't it David Nicholls who wrote One Day, not David Mitchell?

Haha, so it is- same for Starter For Ten. Ignore me :smile:
Re-reading Jude the Obscure :biggrin: I love Mr. Hardy xD
Alternating between Brideshead Revisited and The Naked Civil Servant I am being rather overwhelmed by homo-eroticism.
Original post by Norfolkadam
Alternating between Brideshead Revisited and The Naked Civil Servant I am being rather overwhelmed by homo-eroticism.

What's your opinion on Brideshead Revisited?
Original post by KingMessi
What's your opinion on Brideshead Revisited?

Typical Waugh really. I happen to like his novels but I can see why you wouldn't. There's not much to say about them because they're just stories about the upper class.
Original post by Norfolkadam
Typical Waugh really. I happen to like his novels but I can see why you wouldn't. There's not much to say about them because they're just stories about the upper class.

I've only read 'Brideshead Revisited' so I can't comment on Waugh in general - though I have 'Decline and Fall' on my reading list. I adored 'Brideshead' after reading it in depth; but there were many who didn't. I think the same objection could be made against Jane Austen's novels...
Reply 6655
Original post by Demon_AS

Spoiler

Spoiler

Reply 6656
Reading The Crucible by Arthur Miller at the moment; it's fantastic so far. On which note, there doesn't seem to be a thread on TSR for plays in theatre; are there not many enthusiasts?
Reply 6657
Original post by Angury

Spoiler

Spoiler

Reply 6658

Spoiler

Spoiler

(edited 12 years ago)

Spoiler

You got the 6666th post in the thread :biggrin: