The Student Room Group

AQA CHEM4 - 13th June 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by PatrickD
I really need to start revising for this, along with CHEM5, soon. We've got a CHEM5 mock soon so I'll probably focus on that for a bit but then I need to knuckle down with all the organic/carbonyl chemistry. We've finished learning CHEM5 and have done the second ISA so I have no excuses now!

As for specific topics, I really like Acids, bases and buffers, Kinetics, and Equilibria (as I can do the calculations without having to remember too much) but all the learning in Compounds containing the carbonyl group, Aromatic chemistry, and Amines is so tedious!

So true! It's just this organic synthesis I am getting puzzled on. Just wondering.if anyone knows a site where I can some random synthesis type questions :smile:
Reply 21
Original post by Doctor.
So true! It's just this organic synthesis I am getting puzzled on. Just wondering.if anyone knows a site where I can some random synthesis type questions :smile:

Not sure if you already know about a-levelchemistry.co.uk? It has past exam questions and exercises for all the topics in separate links. :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 22
Original post by PatrickD
Not sure if you already know about a-levelchemistry.co.uk? It has past exam questions and exercises for all the topics in separate links. :smile:

my teacher printed them all off lol :tongue:.

I have gone through most of them, think I should just keep going over the organic questions then :smile: Thanks

I think my main problem area is Synthesis and NMR :frown:

Let me know how you get on :tongue:
Chem 4: Organic. Game over
Original post by Doctor.
Really depends on what your strengths are! CHEM5 is a lot of memory and some advance concepts. Nothing too major though :smile: DON'T WORRY

Hmmm- Is that the only hard part, remembering everything? If the paper is just memory test then I think I'll be alrite. Infact, at this moment I think chem 4 is the more annoying one:tongue: cos it contains all the number crunching parts of A2 chemistry, which means I might lose lots of silly marks in the paper even if I understand the topic completely. Agree?

chem 4 organic is just wierd :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 25
Original post by nmudz_009
Hmmm- Is that the only hard part, remembering everything? If the paper is just memory test then I think I'll be alrite. Infact, at this moment I think chem 4 is the more annoying one:tongue: cos it contains all the number crunching parts of A2 chemistry, which means I might lose lots of silly marks in the paper even if I understand the topic completely. Agree?

chem 4 organic is just wierd :tongue:

There Is sill some number crunching for CHEM5 but not too bad! There are still some concepts to get your head round in Chem5 though so watch out!
Reply 26
Original post by thegodofgod
I'm doing BIOL2, BIOL5, CHEM4, CHEM5 this summer :eek4:

similar to me, I'm doing BIOL1, BIOL4, BIOL5, CHEM4, CHEM5 :'(
Reply 27
Does any one have any ISA tips for?! unlike most schools, our school's a bitch and doesn't dish out the answers :frown:
Original post by biofreak
similar to me, I'm doing BIOL1, BIOL4, BIOL5, CHEM4, CHEM5 :'(

:eek:

I can't complain any more then :tongue:

:getmecoat:
Reply 29
Right guys, so I have been trying to do this Organic Synthesis but I feel like I am not getting anywhere. How do you all cope with it, really need some techniques. I cant do the whole 'just stare at the compound and an idea will hit me'-thing :frown:

Anything helpful will be much apprecited, and +reped :colonhash:
Original post by Doctor.
Right guys, so I have been trying to do this Organic Synthesis but I feel like I am not getting anywhere. How do you all cope with it, really need some techniques. I cant do the whole 'just stare at the compound and an idea will hit me'-thing :frown:

Anything helpful will be much apprecited, and +reped :colonhash:

I usually try to start off with a really simple compound, e.g. an alkane.

e.g. Butane ---> 2-Hydroxypentanenitrile:

Butane --> 1-Chlorobutane --> Butan-1-ol --> Butanal --> 2-Hydroxypentanenitrile
Reply 31
I usually try to start off with a really simple compound, e.g. an alkane.

e.g. Butane ---> 2-Hydroxypentanenitrile:

Butane --> 1-Chlorobutane --> Butan-1-ol --> Butanal --> 2-Hydroxypentanenitrile

But how dya realise what you should put next? :s-smilie:
Original post by Doctor.
But how dya realise what you should put next? :s-smilie:

Sorry? :redface:

Do you mean, how do you work out what the intermediate compounds are?

I usually work my way backwards - it works easier for me than going forwards :colondollar:

If that fails...

Spoiler

Reply 33
Sorry? :redface:

Do you mean, how do you work out what the intermediate compounds are?

I usually work my way backwards - it works easier for me than going forwards :colondollar:

If that fails...

Spoiler

aha cool I will give it a go :h:. Just going through all the sections now :mad:...So much content :frown:
I hate this unit so much.

Anyone have any useful websites/questions on organic synthesiss + how to practice all the maths stuff (i.e. acids + bases, equilibrium, rates) ?
Oh god, same!
I'm like.... 'err thats an ester!!' .. but that's pretty much it. FML.

Need and A for my course so have to get that, or I'll shoot myself XD
Reply 36
Original post by Bright.Inspiration.
Oh god, same!
I'm like.... 'err thats an ester!!' .. but that's pretty much it. FML.

Need and A for my course so have to get that, or I'll shoot myself XD

Only thing I can say: BEAST CHEM5 (I am struggling on this unit too :frown:)

Original post by Bright.Inspiration.
I hate this unit so much.

Anyone have any useful websites/questions on organic synthesiss + how to practice all the maths stuff (i.e. acids + bases, equilibrium, rates) ?

haha I can't do this at all :frown: Organic Synthesis has made me cry...twice :cry:

This unit is too much :frown: :frown:
Original post by masterhr1
Does anybody have the Jan 2012 CHEM 4 paper?

See attachments :smile:
Original post by Doctor.
Only thing I can say: BEAST CHEM5 (I am struggling on this unit too :frown:)

haha I can't do this at all :frown: Organic Synthesis has made me cry...twice :cry:

This unit is too much :frown: :frown:

Org Synth is so cool! :party:

Best bit of Chem IMHO :colondollar:
Reply 39

Org Synth is so cool! :party:

Best bit of Chem IMHO :colondollar:

I hope you're joking, I do find it interesting but it's too annoying when I don't get the right answer :frown:. then it's just down right stupid, but when I do... :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest