Imperial College London vs UC Berkeley

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by f1mad
Did you bother reading what I wrote?

PRESTIGE.

Look it up.

Yes I read what you wrote.

I am merely making a statement about standards in the Far East where little is known about them.
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 41
Original post by lotsofq
Yes I read what you wrote.

I am merely making a statement about standards in the Far East where little is known about them.

And when did I make a statement about standards?

We all know the education rigour in China, India etc is a lot more rigorous than it is over in the West. However, reputation plays a much bigger role after education.
Original post by f1mad
And when did I make a statement about standards?

We all know the education rigour in China, India etc is a lot more rigorous than it is over in the West. However, reputation plays a much bigger role after education.

Is it? I have heard that many Chinese universities simply sell degrees.

No doubt IIT &c. are highly reputable but they accept a much smaller proportion of the population than Oxbridge do here.
Original post by DynamicSyngery
Is it? I have heard that many Chinese universities simply sell degrees.

No doubt IIT &c. are highly reputable but they accept a much smaller proportion of the population than Oxbridge do here.

Every country has it's fair share of outstanding as well as poor unis.

The French and Germans are particularly strong in maths and science as are the Russians but nothing is ever mentioned about their unis (well maybe Ecole Polytechnique in Paris).

It's just a pity that we don't hear enough of the good ones, apart from Oxbridge and the Ivy League (bearing in mind both Stanford and MIT are NOT members).

But that's more to do with the people who work in media. After all, how many Imperial and MIT graduates go into journalism?
Reply 44
Does a MSci at Imperial count as a masters degree? Because I've read on the Undergraduate prospectus that it is not exactly the same as a Masters in Science, MSc.

And is MSci recognised on other countries as a masters?
Original post by stevenz0601
Does a MSci at Imperial count as a masters degree? Because I've read on the Undergraduate prospectus that it is not exactly the same as a Masters in Science, MSc.

And is MSci recognised on other countries as a masters?

MSci like MMath, regardless of the uni, are classed as undergraduate degrees.

BSc degrees are three years long but in order to bring the students' maths up to scratch, as well as teaching some topics beyond the BSc, extra time was needed, so these degrees are labelled as MSci and MMath.

This is especially true for engineering as the BEng is probably done away and all courses are now 4 year MEng.

For the true postgraduate degree, it's an MSc, which usually takes one year.

So in theory you could do BSc (3 years) + MSc (1 year) = 2 degrees in 4 years as opposed to "just" a single 4 year MSci / MMath degree.

To the layman, MSci (like MA (Oxon / Cantab)) is a masters degree.

To those who know, it's not.
(edited 12 years ago)
Just wondering, what were your ECs and grades like, if you don't mind me asking? It's just that I wish to apply to UCB next year only I'm stuck as to how to improve my chances.
Reply 47
Original post by dugdugdug
MSci like MMath, regardless of the uni, are classed as undergraduate degrees.

BSc degrees are three years long but in order to bring the students' maths up to scratch, as well as teaching some topics beyond the BSc, extra time was needed, so these degrees are labelled as MSci and MMath.

This is especially true for engineering as the BEng is probably done away and all courses are now 4 year MEng.

For the true postgraduate degree, it's an MSc, which usually takes one year.

So in theory you could do BSc (3 years) + MSc (1 year) = 2 degrees in 4 years as opposed to "just" a single 4 year MSci / MMath degree.

To the layman, MSci (like MA (Oxon / Cantab)) is a masters degree.

To those who know, it's not.

Yes. Exactly. I would also consider it as misleading people for those who say they have a masters degree but actually have an MSci/MMath.

Now, lets try this; what about those MSc students that have to take all of the MEng UG modules for their MSc modules. Meaning that MEng UG modules == MSc modules. Would you still consider that an 'MSc' PG degree?
(edited 12 years ago)
I'd go for Berkeley, definitely. And given your interest in going into economics or some such later, the openness of the American system would allow you to take prerequisite courses and the like.

Both are well-known in academia, but Berkeley has a particularly wonderful atmosphere by all accounts.
Reply 49
So, it is possible to do a BSc in 3 years and MSc in 1 year? And 4 years you will have an undergraduate and masters? If this is the case, why do people choose MSci? If you can end with masters degree in the same amount of time?
Reply 50
So, it is possible to do a BSc in 3 years and MSc in 1 year? And 4 years you will have an undergraduate and masters? If this is the case, why do people choose MSci? If you can end with masters degree in the same amount of time?

Cheaper. Because you could get funding (loan) for your first degree, since after all, it is your first degree.

You won't get funding for your second as far as I know.

I'm not sure if it's still the case but when I was a student, there was a funding council called SERC, then relabelled EPSRC which deals with postgraduate studies.

First degrees were free but afterwards you would have to apply to EPSRC for anything else so it was possible to get funding depedning on the number of grants available to your uni.

Difficult for MSc but PhDs are easier. That is also why unis encourage people to finish their PhDs within five years, otherwise they (the uni) will lose the grant subsequently.
Reply 52

What have you decided? Both are good uni's. Where do you intend to join? What are the other US/UK uni's from which you have offers?

Also since May 1 is a deadline to say yes/no to one uni only, I think you have to decline all UK unis as well prior to that before accepting a US uni. what is the procedure? So, before selecting Berkely for example, I guess one has to decline all UK unis . Is my understanding correct?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 53
what is the accommodation like at Imperial? I heard you can only live on campus for 1st year?
what is the accommodation like at Imperial? I heard you can only live on campus for 1st year?

From what I've heard, it's really good. Certainly Kensington is the nicest part of the UK, not surprising with Harrods and Kensington Gardens nearby.
Reply 55

Location wise it's good, but it's very expensive compared to other universities.
Reply 56
If you want to live close to the campus, in tiny single rooms prepare for at least ~160 per week
Original post by Moa
If you want to live close to the campus, in tiny single rooms prepare for at least ~160 per week

how about £75 per week for a room with a balcony :biggrin: ( I am not kidding)
Reply 58
Original post by kaosu_souzousha

But we're not allowed onto the balconies though :frown:
Reply 59
Original post by kaosu_souzousha

What's the catch? :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending