The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Ooh, ought to join this. Started playing guitar recently (by which I mean 2 days ago - before that I did have a play around with my sisters, but being left-handed I needed to get one of my own - not great to learn playing upside down I reckons).
Original post by Alofleicester
Ooh, ought to join this. Started playing guitar recently (by which I mean 2 days ago - before that I did have a play around with my sisters, but being left-handed I needed to get one of my own - not great to learn playing upside down I reckons).

Left-handed? :shakehand:
Left-handed! No! Don't do it!

Seriously. You'll be able to play guitar just as well right-handed as you can left-handed if you try, and you'll find it much easier to get guitars.
Used to be here a while ago but I went manic and removed myself from all the socs I followed.
I've uh been playing for about 7 or 8 years now. I should be better but whatevs.
Currently working on my improv ability and I'm giving some of Holdsworth's solos a learn for technical practice. They're pretty damn hard.

(Not me obv; Solo around the minute mark)
An okay cover.

Solo around 2:28. Got a good chunk of it under my fingers so far.
(edited 11 years ago)

:jiggy:
Reply 9466
Original post by danadd9

(Not me obv; Solo around the minute mark)
An okay cover.

That's really not bad. That guy's gear is insane too. I would love a Suhr...

Original post by + polarity -

I actually liked that although as a Pat Metheny fan; I feel guilty for doing so!
I need a new guitar....:headbang: On another note , my mate just got the ibanez herman li egen8- one nice guitar
Original post by JordanR
Left-handed! No! Don't do it!

Seriously. You'll be able to play guitar just as well right-handed as you can left-handed if you try, and you'll find it much easier to get guitars.

I tried setting up with a right-handed guitar I'd borrowed for a short while, to decide whether to just learn to play right handed or whether to stick to my south-paw way of doing everything else.
Playing right-handed felt so much more awkward than left-handed, so I went for a left-handed guitar. I probably could have been fine playing right-handed, but left-handed felt more natural and comfortable.

As for getting guitars, I don't see that it would be a problem - manufacturers make left-handed versions a fair bit, and if not there's always reversing the bridge and nut to re-string a right-handed one into a left-handed set-up.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by fuzznbass
I need a new guitar....:headbang: On another note , my mate just got the ibanez herman li egen8- one nice guitar

Get a Les Paul, way better than any Fender (ooh, debate :colone:)
Original post by jerseymackem

Depends what sound you want.. though I'd go for a PRS over a Les Paul.. :tongue:
(edited 11 years ago)

Nice!

Not true! I've never been terribly impressed with any Gibson I've ever played; sure they're nice, but not worth the money (in my opinion). Especially custom shop ones. Plus... just listen to how Yngwie Malmsteen makes that strat sound.

Bloody love the thick neck on a Les Paul though. (Also do love my Japanese Les Paul.)
Original post by MadCatChiken
Depends what sound you want.. oh I'd go for a PRS over a Les Paul.. :tongue:

Aye, agreed. I'd opt for an Ibanez Fireman over all (or something custom made!). I'm hopefully getting a Fireman made by the same guy who made my Ibanez Epiphone, on that note. He's busy this month though.
(edited 11 years ago)
This little kid demostrates the awesome sexyness of the PRS Custom 24.. :biggrin:

[video="youtube;7pLR_Qrgp-E"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pLR_Qrgp-E[/video]
Original post by JordanR
(Also do love my Japanese Les Paul.)

Have you ever played a Greco from Japan? I am currently looking for a Greco 'super real' which were made in the 1980's. (see link, look at the flame on some of those babies!!!)

http://www.japanguitars.co.uk/Page%204%20Greco.html

At the time they were referred to as the lawsuit guitars, because they copied Les Pauls of the time pretty much down to the T, and of course Gibson were not best pleased.

I have a real Les Paul that I bought back in 2005 (yes I am poor now) and I love it to bits. The only guitar that came close to it was a handmade guitar I played at music live. However, I payed £1100 for my Les Paul and this handmade one was like £3000+ :eek:

I'm not a narrow minded stereotypical Gibson fanyboy though. It's just the feeling you get when you strike that first chord on a gibson through a big amp is indescribable :ahee:

I'm just looking for a Greco that I can not worry too much about damaging when I go gigging. Having an £1100 guitar is nice and all, but you tend to get nervous taking it to gigs, especially when drunk people are stumbling about with pints of beer :yikes:
Original post by 331sam331
Have you ever played a Greco from Japan? I am currently looking for a Greco 'super real' which were made in the 1980's. (see link, look at the flame on some of those babies!!!)

http://www.japanguitars.co.uk/Page%204%20Greco.html

At the time they were referred to as the lawsuit guitars, because they copied Les Pauls of the time pretty much down to the T, and of course Gibson were not best pleased.

I have a real Les Paul that I bought back in 2005 (yes I am poor now) and I love it to bits. The only guitar that came close to it was a handmade guitar I played at music live. However, I payed £1100 for my Les Paul and this handmade one was like £3000+ :eek:

I'm not a narrow minded stereotypical Gibson fanyboy though. It's just the feeling you get when you strike that first chord on a gibson through a big amp is indescribable :ahee:

I'm just looking for a Greco that I can not worry too much about damaging when I go gigging. Having an £1100 guitar is nice and all, but you tend to get nervous taking it to gigs, especially when drunk people are stumbling about with pints of beer :yikes:

Yes, they're brilliant. Easily as good (if not better) than the American made guitars. A huge fan of Japanese instruments.

My Les Paul was made in 1974 and is the "Deluxe 59er" copy that Ibanez also put out. Fantastic thing. Got it for £75 locally. Definitely a lawsuit model. :wink:
Original post by JordanR
Yes, they're brilliant. Easily as good (if not better) than the American made guitars. A huge fan of Japanese instruments.

My Les Paul was made in 1974 and is the "Deluxe 59er" copy that Ibanez also put out. Fantastic thing. Got it for £75 locally. Definitely a lawsuit model. :wink:

Looking forward to getting one. Just need some money first :colondollar:

I had an Ibanez JS100 for a while and I enjoyed that thoroughly. Got pee'd off with the floating floyd rose trem after a while though. Kept going out of tune :angry: So sold it to someone in Scotland lol.

Sounds like a good deal!!

I like Les Pauls , if i did get one, i'd probably go for Epiphone

Japanese Tokai Les Paul copies are superior to Epiphones in quality, try one out.
Original post by 331sam331
Looking forward to getting one. Just need some money first :colondollar:

I had an Ibanez JS100 for a while and I enjoyed that thoroughly. Got pee'd off with the floating floyd rose trem after a while though. Kept going out of tune :angry: So sold it to someone in Scotland lol.

Sounds like a good deal!!

Boo, floating trems. They make people lazy. Players who use fixed bridge guitars always tend to have better vibrato. Plus, string changing is a hassle.
Original post by InvisibleGInger
Japanese Tokai Les Paul copies are superior to Epiphones in quality, try one out.

Pretty much any half-decent Japanese model will crap all over an Epiphone!

Go Japanese. :wink: